*** 2022-2023 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all! I have a few questions I'd like to get some options on.

After an interview session, do you email the program directors to say thank you and reinforce your interest with the program (even if they did not directly interview you)?

Also, during a few of my interviews, interviewers have said something along the lines of "your application and ethos seems more clinically/patient centered. Would you choose MD over PhD if given the chance?" and "do you really want the PhD". I have worked in a post bac program doing bench research for almost 3 years now, and did bench research over a summer in undergrad. I also have psychology research during undergrad. I kept my MD personal statement less focused on research (as was feedback provided from MD/PhDs I had read my applications), and really tried to drive why MD/PhD and bench research in my MD/PhD essay and research essay.

I'm worried programs think I am not serious about the PhD portion of the MD/PhD. I try to always emphasize my goals of committing to bench research, working through failures in lab, my future research interests, and having my own lab one day as a PI. But, I'm worried this is falling short. Does anyone have any advice for facing these kind of questions? Thanks in advance!
I don't have any advice, but just want to commiserate. I have gotten the opposite comments though- that I have a more PhD-focused app than MD. 🤷‍♂️ Also, I have not sent any thank you emails except for the one time admin explicitly asked for it haha..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there any chance anyone here knows what the post-II acceptance rate is for U Chicago? I got a slot for their last interview of the season and have a conflict with another school that while I like a lot, I would prefer U Chicago over. The other school has a high post II acceptance rate, so I don't want to give up an interview at a place I would like a lot and would be likely to get into for a long shot at a U Chicago. I know I may be overthinking this, but was curious if anyone knows.

After an interview session, do you email the program directors to say thank you and reinforce your interest with the program (even if they did not directly interview you)?
My M.O. has been to only email thank you notes to faculty that I spoke with one-on-one. If it's a PD, then yes; otherwise, no. Speaking with other applicants though, I think its widely variable what people do, and I don't really think overburdened faculty with teeming inboxes really care either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any chance anyone here knows what the post-II acceptance rate is for U Chicago? I got a slot for their last interview of the season and have a conflict with another school that while I like a lot, I would prefer U Chicago over. The other school has a high post II acceptance rate, so I don't want to give up an interview at a place I would like a lot and would be likely to get into for a long shot at a U Chicago. I know I may be overthinking this, but was curious if anyone knows.
I interviewed with 14 others on my interview day. To the best of my knowledge, UChicago's MSTP interviews from October - January. There is at least one interview date per month, with there being two or three in January. If I were to extrapolate -- very risky, I know --, that means around 75-90 people who interview for the 10 spots in the program. Unless UChicago's yield rate is horrendously low i.e. sub 33% I think the post-interview acceptance rate is indeed not very high.

Do you have any acceptances at MSTPs comparable in preference to the other school you're interviewing at?

My M.O. has been to only email thank you notes to faculty that I spoke with one-on-one. If it's a PD, then yes; otherwise, no. Speaking with other applicants though, I think its widely variable what people do, and I don't really think overburdened faculty with teeming inboxes really care either way.
I did the same here, although I only emailed faculty I really hit it off with AND still had one or two questions to ask (which is to say <40% of them). I feel like sending a thank you wouldn't change their impressions, and many of them likely fill out and submit their evaluations shortly after interviewing anyway

I interviewed with 14 others on my interview day. To the best of my knowledge, UChicago's MSTP interviews from October - January. There is at least one interview date per month, with there being two or three in January. If I were to extrapolate -- very risky, I know --, that means around 75-90 people who interview for the 10 spots in the program. Unless UChicago's yield rate is horrendously low i.e. sub 33% I think the post-interview acceptance rate is indeed not very high.

Do you have any acceptances at MSTPs comparable in preference to the other school you're interviewing at?
Thanks so much for the info! I have an acceptance at a school I would definitely enjoy attending, but I would prefer both of the schools involved in this conflict over schools I have acceptances to. Since U Chicago is rolling, it seems like acceptance post-II for their very last slot is probably even lower :(

Thanks so much for the info! I have an acceptance at a school I would definitely enjoy attending, but I would prefer both of the schools involved in this conflict over schools I have acceptances to. Since U Chicago is rolling, it seems like acceptance post-II for their very last slot is probably even lower :(
I actually wouldn't know if that's the case, UChicago is rolling but they release most of their acceptances in February at least on the MD end. I wouldn't be surprised if the MSTP committee is on the same timeline where they release early acceptances to people who are hotcakes and everyone finds out later

Going with the other school is the conservative gamble, but like you said, it's more likely to play out in your favor. Tough decision to make

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does no one apply to UC Davis or what? To say the data on this school is sparse would be an understatement.

Does no one apply to UC Davis or what? To say the data on this school is sparse would be an understatement.
I applied but haven't heard back. They probably interview MD-PhD applicants later than the MD folks

Then combine that w/ UC Davis being a smaller program + SDN being a fraction of the population = nothing reported

Anecdotal but it was 100% on my list until I realized that they required AAMC Preview. They were the only school I was planning to apply to that required it, and it was an extra $100 for the test, so I took them off.

Anecdotal but it was 100% on my list until I realized that they required AAMC Preview. They were the only school I was planning to apply to that required it, and it was an extra $100 for the test, so I took them off.
same lol, have always wanted to go cow tipping tho

This was a good call, especially considering the absolute spyware that AAMC made us install to take PREview despite it being a damn multiple choice SJT test lmao

I also applied there, they have previously interviewed through March with morning MD interview and dual degree program afternoon interview days. Not sure their plan for this year, but they don’t offer many interview spots compared to larger programs

Members don't see this ad :)
I love cows. Thanks for the replies. I have just been browsing previous years and Davis comes up super infrequently.

This was a good call, especially considering the absolute spyware that AAMC made us install to take PREview despite it being a damn multiple choice SJT test lmao
Unfortunately I had to take PREview because I wanted UCLA MD consideration as a Cali resident as well, but yes I basically nuked my computer after PREview. What a bogus test and not worth the time

• Haha
I myself have asked this question and am commenting should it be helpful for applicants next cycle:

There were a few programs I was very interested in interviewing with, but hadn't heard from yet in November. I sent a letter of interest/update (including new projects I was pursuing in my lab, reaffirmed my interest in the program + PIs + school location). Not sure how much of a difference it made, but I received 2 interview invites in December and January from schools that I sent the letter to.

Perhaps if I was on an alternate list for interviews, it pushed me over into the invite category after others withdrew? Who knows. TLDR: it's not over til its over and I don't think a solid letter of interest hurts. Just my opinion as a mid tier applicant who was stressed after not getting a ton of invites throughout the fall...

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone have any insight to the remaining interviews for the following programs:
Maryland, Harvard, Cinci, VCU, UVA

Trying to figure out if I need to just consider those a no.

Harvard's last interview date is today, so. UVA has some dates left.

UVA has three more dates (from the MD/PhD interview dates calendar); one set next week, two in Feb. They've been scheduling for next week, but are offering options to push to Feb if needed (1/23-24, couple others in Feb on calendar)

VCU also has their last dates next week (1/24-25)

Last edited:

Cinci and Maryland (and other schools) have dates on the calendar listed on AMCAS' website, though Cinci's last session seems to be this week (and they notify a fair bit prior).

UMaryland sent out invites last week for their last interview slot in January- not sure if they ever send out invites on a rolling basis or not.

Cinci's last in person is this week, they have another virtual one January 25 – 26th I think

I myself have asked this question and am commenting should it be helpful for applicants next cycle:

There were a few programs I was very interested in interviewing with, but hadn't heard from yet in November. I sent a letter of interest/update (including new projects I was pursuing in my lab, reaffirmed my interest in the program + PIs + school location). Not sure how much of a difference it made, but I received 2 interview invites in December and January from schools that I sent the letter to.

Perhaps if I was on an alternate list for interviews, it pushed me over into the invite category after others withdrew? Who knows. TLDR: it's not over til its over and I don't think a solid letter of interest hurts. Just my opinion as a mid tier applicant who was stressed after not getting a ton of invites throughout the fall...
Similar experience, I sent updates to all of my schools in mid-October and late November following abstract acceptances to some meetings and received several interviews after (UTSW, UTSA, Maryland, SLU, Missouri which I know did come from someone else withdrawing for reasons I won't disclose)
UMaryland sent out invites last week for their last interview slot in January- not sure if they ever send out invites on a rolling basis or not.
+1, my interview slot was for the final date

I'm very happy to have interviewed at my top choice school last week and they said they would release a decision mid-Feb (though that can likely be a waitlist). I'm currently on the waitlist for my 2nd choice school, when would it be appropriate to send an update letter? I know the earlier may be better but I would refrain from using language like a letter of intent until I hear back from my top choice (which again may not be possible if I get waitlisted).

Okay so based on y'alls very helpful responses, seems like my options are set in stone. My top choice is a program that offers two different options for the PhD portions and I interviewed at and liked both. If I sent a letter of intent to the school, should I state one program preference over another? I haven't had the chance to visit the second program yet, their visit day isn't until March, so I don't think I should confidently make a decision on one program or the other.

Okay so based on y'alls very helpful responses, seems like my options are set in stone. My top choice is a program that offers two different options for the PhD portions and I interviewed at and liked both. If I sent a letter of intent to the school, should I state one program preference over another? I haven't had the chance to visit the second program yet, their visit day isn't until March, so I don't think I should confidently make a decision on one program or the other.
I would say if you are not 100% sure, don't put it in the letter of intent- that's a big commitment to make if you don't have all of the details. Saying that you would definitely attend that school is enough imo.

Reactions: 2 users
anyone else feel like their health is declining this cycle? waiting for decisions is making me so anxious i'm sleeping like 2-4 hours a night :0

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Am I right in thinking it's a bum deal that my main research mentor's letter wasn't accepted by a program? It's obviously too late now but dang.

Last edited:
  • Care
Can anyone offer any knowledge or even just general thoughts/opinions on what waitlist movement looks like for MD/PhD programs in general, but also specifically for MSTP programs? I would assume that waitlist movement is worse for MSTP's in general, but I'm unsure if that's a valid assumption. Desperately seeking some solace for my hopes of getting into my top choice institution 😅

This might be a case of hope against hope, but does anyone have insight on how often, if ever, programs add/change interview dates to their initial schedules?

Can anyone offer any knowledge or even just general thoughts/opinions on what waitlist movement looks like for MD/PhD programs in general, but also specifically for MSTP programs? I would assume that waitlist movement is worse for MSTP's in general, but I'm unsure if that's a valid assumption. Desperately seeking some solace for my hopes of getting into my top choice institution 😅
I don't have data to support this, but I would also imagine theres more waitlist movement since the classes are so small. Some schools have told me they will start off only handing out acceptances to the number of students they want to matriculate, then start sending out more after people turn down the acceptance. Accidental over-enrollment would be a huge financial issue for mstps.

Reactions: 3 users
The musical chairs game happens most often between 03/16 - 05/10, with a major peak as applicants start making decisions down to 3 programs (04/15), and down to 1 program (04/30). In prior years, I have seen abuses, for example a MD/PhD applicant holding to 10+ acceptances after 4/15. Part of the problem is that while the applicant might notify the program, it takes time for the AMCAS admission reporter officer in the school to make the change...

Please make decisions as soon as you can. To be honest, I don't see the reason for holding more than 4 or 5 acceptances at ANY given point.

• Care
Reactions: 15 users
I’m in the same boat! I haven’t heard anything either, but I’m bumping this up for visibility.
I did not receive an official notification, but when there was a large wave of Rs that looked like the final one I emailed them and they told me I was on hold as well. Have not heard back since!

I did not receive an official notification, but when there was a large wave of Rs that looked like the final one I emailed them and they told me I was on hold as well. Have not heard back since!
Nice to know, may I ask when you emailed?

I know that we can only send letter of intent to one school, but I am wondering whether it is a standard practice to send a letter of interest to all schools that one would be interested in attending post-II, as long as the school accepts it...

anyone else feel like their health is declining this cycle? waiting for decisions is making me so anxious i'm sleeping like 2-4 hours a night :0
I CAN FINALLY SLEEP NOW!! It hasn't hit yet but just got the call from my top choice :D

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 17 users
Hi all! I will be backpacking/traveling in the spring before starting medical school in the summer. Because of this, I will be missing second look weekends. For programs I am accepted to before I leave, is it possible for me to email and ask about an unofficial second look? Just to meet students that maybe would be free and get a vibe of the campus/city? Obviously know that I wouldn't anywhere near all the perks/fun events of the second visit, but getting a vibe/feel of programs would be super helpful.

Hi all! I will be backpacking/traveling in the spring before starting medical school in the summer. Because of this, I will be missing second look weekends. For programs I am accepted to before I leave, is it possible for me to email and ask about an unofficial second look? Just to meet students that maybe would be free and get a vibe of the campus/city? Obviously know that I wouldn't anywhere near all the perks/fun events of the second visit, but getting a vibe/feel of programs would be super helpful.
That sounds super fun, enjoy! It seems like that is more than possible depending on the program. Some of the ones I have been accepted to have said that if I can't make second look, or need to come see the school/meet people sooner than when second look is scheduled, to let them know and they will work with me. So I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to reach out and work something out! Like you mentioned, though, you will miss the fun events and scheduled information sessions, but I agree that getting a vibe of a place and the students is important. Good luck!

My experience is that they are generally willing to connect you with students, but they may not pay for your visit like they would for the official thing.

Curious if anyone has heard anything from Einstein recently?

Interviewed with them in November and nothing so far
Same. Also curious about VCU. Both Einstein and VCU let out their MD results today and I was hoping there would be MSTP info too.

just going based off of last year, someone was apparently waitlisted by Einstein MSTP on Feb 3rd

• Wow