2022-2023 Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @immaterialgirls for sharing this year's questions

2022-2023 Tufts Secondary Essay Prompts (some changes and additions since last year)

1. Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine? Please explain briefly. (1000 characters)

2. Please briefly describe your plans for the coming year. Include in this explanation if you will be a student, working, conducting research, volunteering, etc. (1000 characters)

3. How might you contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine? Please explain briefly. (1000 characters)

4. Given how the COVID-19 pandemic has altered the world these past few years, please contextualize how your experiences have been affected which might include your personal, professional and educational journey. (1000 characters)

5. Do you have any withdrawals or repeated coursework listed on your transcript(s)? Please explain briefly. (1000 characters)

6. Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.) Please explain briefly. (1000 characters)

7. We understand that many applicants encounter academic hardships along the way. Please comment on any academic difficulties that you have encountered since completing high school (grades and MCAT scores) and that you believe might adversely affect your likelihood of medical school acceptance. We believe that such difficulties offer an opportunity for growth and would appreciate learning how your experiences have affected your approach to academics. If you have not encountered any difficulties, you may answer 'No'. (1000 characters)

8. Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a Misdemeanor crime, excluding 1) any offense for which you were adjudicated as a juvenile 2) any convictions which have been expunged or sealed by a court, or 3) any misdemeanor convictions for which any probation has been completed and the case dismissed by the court (in states where applicable)? (1000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Tufts University School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Secondary received 6/29

1. Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine? Please explain briefly. (1000 characters)

2. Please briefly describe your plans for the coming year. Include in this explanation if you will be a student, working, conducting research, volunteering, etc. (1000 characters)

3. How might you contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine? Please explain briefly. (1000 characters)

4. Given how the COVID-19 pandemic has altered the world these past few years, please contextualize how your experiences have been affected which might include your personal, professional and educational journey. (1000 characters)

5. Do you have any withdrawals or repeated coursework listed on your transcript(s). Please explain briefly. (1000 characters)

6. Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.) Please explain briefly. (1000 characters)

7. We understand that many applicants encounter academic hardships along the way. Please comment on any academic difficulties that you have encountered since completing high school (grades and MCAT scores) and that you believe might adversely affect your likelihood of medical school acceptance. We believe that such difficulties offer an opportunity for growth and would appreciate learning how your experiences have affected your approach to academics. If you have not encountered any difficulties, you may answer 'No'. (1000 characters)

8. Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a Misdemeanor crime, excluding 1) any offense for which you were adjudicated as a juvenile 2) any convictions which have been expunged or sealed by a court, or 3) any misdemeanor convictions for which any probation has been completed and the case dismissed by the court (in states where applicable)? (1000 characters)

@wysdoc

Reactions: 1 users
Given how specific question #8 is, I find it odd that there is a loophole big enough to drive a (stolen) truck through.:p
So before anybody asks, "it didn't say anything about felonies, just misdemeanors?" assume that if you have a felony on your record, it should also be mentioned here.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
secondary received but not verified. weird

Reactions: 1 user
To everyone who has submitted your secondary and has all your documents/everything: Does your app say "secondary ready for review"?

To everyone who has submitted your secondary and has all your documents/everything: Does your app say "secondary ready for review"?
My application says my LORs are still missing even though I have met their min. reqs. and those are listed. Still has a red ! on the line "Secondary Ready for Review" and I have not obtained any further information from them via email. Have you?

My application says my LORs are still missing even though I have met their min. reqs. and those are listed. Still has a red ! on the line "Secondary Ready for Review" and I have not obtained any further information from them via email. Have you?
Interesting. I also have not received any email saying something like "secondary app complete, ready for review". I guess we'll have to see if anyone else got that. I met every requirement though, it's just that last red check at the bottom

Members don't see this ad :)
I am having the same problem even though I have five letters received by the school and no issues with letters on any other secondaries. Let us know if you hear anything via email please :)

I am having the same problem even though I have five letters received by the school and no issues with letters on any other secondaries. Let us know if you hear anything via email please :)
+ 1. On the portal it says my letters were received on June 17th but the Letters of Rec box doesn't have a green check. Everything else is complete but my application hasn't been marked as ready for review yet. Will update y'all if I hear from them!

Should you always answer questions like #1? I feel like it wouldn't be wise to skip the chance to have more characters to enhance your application but not quite sure what to write for this part

Should you always answer questions like #1? I feel like it wouldn't be wise to skip the chance to have more characters to enhance your application but not quite sure what to write for this part
write about why you want to go to Tufts!

For listing prerequisites should I include the course names as they appear on my transcript or out something like “Biology 101: Intro Bio 1”

For listing prerequisites should I include the course names as they appear on my transcript or out something like “Biology 101: Intro Bio 1”
I wrote just "General Bio 1&2 w/ lab", no course number.

OOS secondary received 7/2; not verified though too (?)

same here... weird. are y'all submitting now or waiting until verification to submit
I'm gonna wait until I'm verified, but I submitted June 8th so crossing my fingers that I'll be verified by the end of this week

for "Biology Competency Prerequisites", did y'all just copy and paste your "Biology Coursework Prerequisites"

Reactions: 2 users
I'm gonna wait until I'm verified, but I submitted June 8th so crossing my fingers that I'll be verified by the end of this week
Submitted on June 18th, crossing my fingers my application even gets reviewed at this point 🤣

same here... weird. are y'all submitting now or waiting until verification to submit
but yeah waiting till I'm verified too

I didn't answer it! From what I understand, admissions committees often don't want to be burdened with extra reading if it doesn't significantly add to your application.

I submitted my secondary but for the pre-requisites I forgot to include which ones were online and what school I completed them at. Should I send an email and let them know?

Feeling so dumb right now

This might be a dumb question, but does AP credit count as repeated coursework? For example, my AP credit counted for Gen Chem 1 but I took it again in college. Does that mean I have repeated coursework?

This might be a dumb question, but does AP credit count as repeated coursework? For example, my AP credit counted for Gen Chem 1 but I took it again in college. Does that mean I have repeated coursework?
By no means an expert here, but I would think not. Most schools don't even accept AP credit...

By no means an expert here, but I would think not. Most schools don't even accept AP credit...
In my experience most schools accept AP credit as long as it is documented on an official transcript, but I agree that it probably would not be considered repeated. I got AP statistics credit but took it again in college because one of my state medical schools does not accept AP credit for statistics only, and I did not mark it as repeated on my Tufts secondary.

Last edited:
For the one year Biology prereq... I've only taken one bio course in college (physiology) because of AP Bio credit, but I am planning to take another upper level bio course next year. Other possible "biology" courses that I've taken include biochem and a neuroscience course (in the psych dept, but still classified as BCPM). Any idea what I should put for the Bio prereq?

For the one year Biology prereq... I've only taken one bio course in college (physiology) because of AP Bio credit, but I am planning to take another upper level bio course next year. Other possible "biology" courses that I've taken include biochem and a neuroscience course (in the psych dept, but still classified as BCPM). Any idea what I should put for the Bio prereq?
I used two anatomy and physiology courses with lab. Of the two you have I think neuroscience sounds like the best fit, but maybe call or email to see if they would accept that or your future course before you drop a cool $130.

I used two anatomy and physiology courses with lab. Of the two you have I think neuroscience sounds like the best fit, but maybe call or email to see if they would accept that or your future course before you drop a cool $130.
You're right, sent them an email! thanks :)

I submitted my secondary but for the pre-requisites I forgot to include which ones were online and what school I completed them at. Should I send an email and let them know?

Where did you see that you had to indicate which were online? I remember reading that you have to put what school if you took them at different schools

Edit: nvm I'm just blind... thank god you commented this though or I would not have included that

Anyone have issues uploading a photo? I shrunk the size and tried uploading on two different browsers but no success.

+1, anyone found a way to do it?
I just uploaded it from my phone (iPhone) and it worked. So I logged into the portal from my phone and just did it that way. No idea if its a JPG but it worked. 🤷‍♀️

Did everyone answer question 7? I have a low gpa (with a significant upward trend), so I think I should answer this, but the question is so specifically asked that idk what to say.

I also have a question about 7. I have an average mcat and gpa with no really significant academic hardships to talk about, is it really okay to say no or should I put something in anyways about covid making it harder to study and that kind of impacted my grades etc. I get that it sounds pretentious but I feel weird saying no to a question. what did everyone else do?

I also have a question about 7. I have an average mcat and gpa with no really significant academic hardships to talk about, is it really okay to say no or should I put something in anyways about covid making it harder to study and that kind of impacted my grades etc. I get that it sounds pretentious but I feel weird saying no to a question. what did everyone else do?
Not everyone faced significant academic hardships, and that’s why they give you the option to answer no. I don’t think there’s any need to come up with an answer just to have an answer.

I answered it because I had a downward trend my freshman year leading to a full withdrawal from school then came back to a strong upward trend. I feel the question is there to give the opportunity to explain things like this.

Reactions: 3 users

Hello, I just did the same thing! What did you end up doing?