2022-2023 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
time for another virtual scream: ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
For those that are still on WL but re-applying this cycle can you like this message if you don’t have any additional activities to add but are just extending the time of those previous activities from last cycle. The only change I’ll have for my app is a minor-ly edited PS/WA and edited (maybe as I have no proof and can’t see them) LOR’s.

Thanks y’all! Keeping up hope and praying we all hear news worth celebrating this week!
I have almost nothing different from my application from last cycle apart from a new MCAT score and a tweaked PS. Last cycle, I only applied to two schools(I would not recommend lol) and am WL at both so I’m going in essentially as a first time applicant to pretty much every school.

Reactions: 1 user
I have almost nothing different from my application from last cycle apart from a new MCAT score and a tweaked PS. Last cycle, I only applied to two schools(I would not recommend lol) and am WL at both so I’m going in essentially as a first time applicant to pretty much every school.
If I could I would retake the MCAT but the fact that I am unlikely to get a better score makes me hesitate as I don’t nearly have the time I once did since I work 2 full time jobs now. I’m considering just applying to all new schools and DO schools. I only applied to schools on the east coast (minus one in Cali) so maybe if I expand my reach to—well everywhere else I’ll get lucky this new cycle.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My school's facebook group is a few people shy of having the class full. I have lost all hope. I just want to lay around and wish myself out of existence but I have to be on my MCAT grind :( so sad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
My school's facebook group is a few people shy of having the class full. I have lost all hope. I just want to lay around and wish myself out of existence but I have to be on my MCAT grind.
Nothing is worth non-existence.
It will happen soon enough.

Reactions: 13 users
Question: I just got my in-state residency paperwork approved at a school I’m WL at as of this week. I originally had submitted this paperwork but was rejected b/c I hadn’t lived in the state for a year yet. It’s a private school but could this help my chances of getting off the WL now that I’m considered in-state?

Question: I just got my in-state residency paperwork approved at a school I’m WL at as of this week. I originally had submitted this paperwork but was rejected b/c I hadn’t lived in the state for a year yet. It’s a private school but could this help my chances of getting off the WL now that I’m considered in-state?
You can submit the evidence at this point, but the process is nearing a close.

Last edited:
You can submit this evidence at this point, but the process is nearing a close.
It automatically uploads in my portal so I saw the change today and then emailed the Dean to let them know. I just wasn’t sure if this actually matters especially if it’s a private school.

• Sad
  • Care
The closer it is to the first day of school, the more likely schools may be to take someone without an acceptance (no delay while they consider pros/cons/financial aid package...)
Hi, If you have no acceptances but are on a few waitlists, can a school see you are waitlisted elsewhere? Ik it would show up if you have an acceptance on CYMS but does it show up if you are solely waitlisted? TIA!

Hi, If you have no acceptances but are on a few waitlists, can a school see you are waitlisted elsewhere? Ik it would show up if you have an acceptance on CYMS but does it show up if you are solely waitlisted? TIA!
Correct you are only appearing on the CYMS list if you have at least 1 acceptance

I've gotta get this off my chest - I feel so conflicted about whether it is even worth going through the hassle of re-applying this cycle. I really don't have anything major to add to my application if I were to re-apply. I also need to re-write my MCAT in order to re-apply this cycle because my score is expired now. This means that my app won't be considered until September (at least I think that's how it works). But September is still earlier than when I had my secondaries complete this year. I'm just having a hard time stomaching the reality of another two full gap years by not re-applying this next cycle.

At the same time, I want to put my best foot forward if I have to re-apply. To make things more ambiguous, I was also told by admissions for the school I'm WL at that they got to my spot on the alternate list in previous years, including last year, and that I'm in a relatively good spot...so there's reason to be optimistic. But I really don't want to place all my bets on this one waitlist cuz nothing is guaranteed.

What would you guys do? Do you think I should just start my re-app tomorrow? Would this give me time to still get my primary into the verification queue on time?
JUST GOT THE A!!! My one and only waitlist and acceptance!! I can't believe it! Was going to have to take another 2 years off and re-write the MCAT!!!

For anyone still waiting, hang on a little longer if your school has had historical movement in June!!

• Love
Reactions: 31 users
just got the third R out of four waitlists and feeling very sad :(

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We will see your name on our roster of waitlisted interviewees, but the notation will be: N/A.
This indicates that you have no acceptances. It does not indicate whether you are waitlisted elsewhere.

is it worth it to send another LOI to my top choice waitlist if my backup school’s CTE deadline is coming up?

Is anyone else slowly dying inside? Lol I can’t get myself to start reapplying unless I get a final answer. This whole waiting process is torture 😢😢 but I’m glad some of us are in this together 🥺

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Is anyone else slowly dying inside? Lol I can’t get myself to start reapplying unless I get a final answer. This whole waiting process is torture 😢😢 but I’m glad some of us are in this together 🥺
meee i feel like my whole life is on hold! praying we get As soon 💌

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
sponge bob day GIF

Reactions: 8 users
Just got rejected from my only waitlist and this is my second year applying. I have no red flags and a solid application overall. This process is so unfair, something really needs to change with this system.

• Care
Reactions: 17 users
Just got rejected from my only waitlist and this is my second year applying. I have no red flags and a solid application overall. This process is so unfair, something really needs to change with this system.
I’m so so sorry rcc12. This is my 3rd cycle so I def know the feeling. I’m confident you’re a qualified applicant. I wish you hope as you grieve the end of this cycle. Next cycle is here, and if you wish to apply, may the heavens and the universe favor your application. Best of luck *virtual hugs*

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Have any of you guys contacted your WL schools and tried to ask where you are ranked? I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it or would be negative

Have any of you guys contacted your WL schools and tried to ask where you are ranked? I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it or would be negative
I did since I was already needing to reach out (my school offers consultations to people waitlisted in order to improve for next year). I was told they can't give that information. Unfortunately, from what I've read, that's the standard answer and it would be abnormal to be told where you are ranked.

Question: a school that historically sends likely emails which leads to acceptance via SDN and a friend who is now a student-- sends you one and it's been a week since they sent it to you and historically they send out emails mid-June when their class is full and it hasn't been sent out yet-- do you guys think that they just brought false hope to me or should I continue to be patient lol

They had their CTE date already and I received the likely email after so I would hope they sent it to me knowing they had spots available or soon to be avail due to some reason and not to just break my heart :(

• Care
I’m in the process of applying again. It took 3 cycles to get 2 II’s. So I’m scared that if I make changes to my application they may end up negative. Would it make sense to keep the same application but just apply to all new schools? Idk if it’s my anxiety talking to me but I feel like if my app could get me kind of somewhere, changing it could be counter productive.

• Care
Question: a school that historically sends likely emails which leads to acceptance via SDN and a friend who is now a student-- sends you one and it's been a week since they sent it to you and historically they send out emails mid-June when their class is full and it hasn't been sent out yet-- do you guys think that they just brought false hope to me or should I continue to be patient lol

They had their CTE date already and I received the likely email after so I would hope they sent it to me knowing they had spots available or soon to be avail due to some reason and not to just break my heart :(
I doubt they’d send something to you if it wasn’t meaningful. If only a select few got it, it wasn’t random! Keep your head up! There’s still time!

Is it one of those that you have to respond to? Did you respond saying you will go if given the spot?

Is it one of those that you have to respond to? Did you respond saying you will go if given the spot?
yes! The dean didn't email me back with a confirmation so I emailed them to confirm they received it and got a very neutral thank you so much we got it email

So I’m scared that if I make changes to my application they may end up negative. Would it make sense to keep the same application but just apply to all new schools? Idk if it’s my anxiety talking to me but I feel like if my app could get me kind of somewhere, changing it could be counter productive.
Any essay can be improved upon.
It only makes sense to apply to all new schools if the previous list was entirely unfeasible.
Updating essays is not counter-productive. It shows growth.

• Love
Currently on 1 WL with no other acceptances which has historically had some movement in June. CTE I think is July 1st or 15th in previous years. I already sent an update (6 months of a new job) plus letter of intent in early March. Would it hurt to send in another letter of intent? I really want to go here and I want to communicate that how much it means to me. I know movement can still happen but jw what the best course of action is. Any advice?

• Care
Currently on 1 WL with no other acceptances which has historically had some movement in June. CTE I think is July 1st or 15th in previous years. I already sent an update (6 months of a new job) plus letter of intent in early March. Would it hurt to send in another letter of intent? I really want to go here and I want to communicate that how much it means to me. I know movement can still happen but jw what the best course of action is. Any advice?
Can’t hurt to let them know again!

Will it hurt to email a dean of admissions directly with a letter of intent than sending to the generic admissions email? Thanks

Is it bad to email and ask if a class is full? They said they’d send an email when the class is full but I kind of need to know now because I need to resign my lease and don’t want to until I know what’s happening WL wise as if I got in I would be moving states.

Is it bad to email and ask if a class is full? They said they’d send an email when the class is full but I kind of need to know now because I need to resign my lease and don’t want to until I know what’s happening WL wise as if I got in I would be moving states.
I recommend paying by month, if possible, until you know where you'll be.

When is your schools CTE date and when does your lease end? My schools CTE date is 6/19 and by the 23rd, if I don’t hear back I will be signing a lease as I can no longer put my life on hold. I did the whole month to month thing and it’s not working out for me personally anymore.

When is your schools CTE date and when does your lease end? My schools CTE date is 6/19 and by the 23rd, if I don’t hear back I will be signing a lease as I can no longer put my life on hold. I did the whole month to month thing and it’s not working out for me personally anymore.
Lol cte was 6/5 but historically people get in up until the week before classes😭

Mine is also 6/19 and I’m thinking the same thing as you. I wish schools were more transparent on WL and possibility of getting off (like rank on the WL) rather than just telling us to keep waiting.

Mine is also 6/19 and I’m thinking the same thing as you. I wish schools were more transparent on WL and possibility of getting off (like rank on the WL) rather than just telling us to keep waiting.
Do you think the school knows in advance when any currently accepted student might suddenly withdraw for another offer? Or how many might do this?
Of course they don’t, and that’s why they can’t tell you more.

Do you think the school knows in advance when any currently accepted student might suddenly withdraw for another offer? Or how many might do this?
I of course agree with you, but I also think as was mentioned a couple of pages back that there is no need for schools to have 100 unranked people on their waitlist. Even being super generous for people who would decline a late admission, they could probably cut down to ~15-20 WL spots by now.

Reactions: 8 users
I of course agree with you, but I also think as was mentioned a couple of pages back that there is no need for schools to have 100 unranked people on their waitlist. Even being super generous for people who would decline a late admission, they could probably cut down to ~15-20 WL spots by now.
True. Some Texas schools are especially vague about this, as in "everybody who didn't get in is on our unranked WL"

True. Some Texas schools are especially vague about this, as in "everybody who didn't get in is on our unranked WL"
Like, I get it, everyone is busy and it's unrealistic to expect a school to continuously cut people loose from their waitlist as they get closer. but even just once around say ~6/10 (or maybe on their CTE), I think it would be reasonable for schools to cut down their WLs to a more manageable number. Certainly more kind than this slow-motion ghosting.

Reactions: 3 users
I understand and I get that. I’m referring to rank on WL.

Two weeks ago, I emailed the two schools where I’m currently waitlisted about whether I could get an update on waitlist status. But I never received a response.

Should I send another email? Does it come off too desperate?

Two weeks ago, I emailed the two schools where I’m currently waitlisted about whether I could get an update on waitlist status. But I never received a response.

Should I send another email? Does it come off too desperate?
I think you got your response—the answer was no, you can’t get an update 😞

Reactions: 3 users