2022-2023 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone feel mentally so prepared for reapp and ready to take it on but also get hurt when you read about other people getting in off their WLs--obviously very happy for them but maybe jealousy?
I'm generally glad there is movement, but I feel nothing but pain seeing them get off. I understand that it may not be my time yet, but nothing really softens the blow of feeling.... inferior? I truly feel like an idiot for even having applied haha

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Should I send a second letter of intent if I sent one to my top choice WL in early April?

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I send a second letter of intent if I sent one to my top choice WL in early April?
I'm sure they will have made a note of it.
You could email the office to make sure that they received it (unless they already thanked you for it originally).

I got my first A today! You have to plan for reapplying but don’t give up hope! Wish you all the best of luck.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 27 users
I have only one A which I got off the waitlist. When I CTE to this school, do I need to withdraw/send a withdrawal email to schools that ghosted me post-secondaries or post-interviews? Meaning they gave me no application decision (A, WL, hold, or R) at all.

I have only one A which I got off the waitlist. When I CTE to this school, do I need to withdraw/send a withdrawal email to schools that ghosted me post-secondaries or post-interviews? Meaning they gave me no application decision (A, WL, hold, or R) at all.
No you don't need to.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Rereading my app trying to figure out what went wrong:

Spongebob Loser GIF
me rereading my personal statement from last cycle and questioning how i EVER thought it was okay

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
I’m in a similar situation… wondering whether to go ahead and find housing etc for the A (state school) or hold out hope for the WL (dream school)? First gen and first time applicant so no idea what most people do here. Still not planning to CTE until the last minute but worried about being able to find housing (honestly at either school) on such short notice
don't worry about finding housing man, that should never be the reason to forego your dreams

Reactions: 1 user
Is there anything I can do besides hope and pray? Currently WL at my IS, is it too late to send a letter intent or should I call them or something? Please help, I think I am one day away from completely losing all hope…

Is there anything I can do besides hope and pray? Currently WL at my IS, is it too late to send a letter intent or should I call them or something? Please help, I think I am one day away from completely losing all hope…
I hope this doesn’t come off poorly, this is a true question. Would sending an LOI at this point hurt you and not help? Bc if you truly wanted to go there you would have sent one sooner that sending one this late would look more like you’re out of options and desperate?
Again I’m not saying this is you but a hypothetical situation based on your question.

I hope this doesn’t come off poorly, this is a true question. Would sending an LOI at this point hurt you and not help? Bc if you truly wanted to go there you would have sent one sooner that sending one this late would look more like you’re out of options and desperate?
Again I’m not saying this is you but a hypothetical situation based on your question.
I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, but I think it could hurt but more likely will help. If you have anything to share that you have not said already, whether it be specific activities/accomplishments or reasons you want to attend the school, go for it. But if you're going to repeat things you've said in a previous letter, or something they wouldn't look at favorably (ex: I play video games for 8 hours a day) then you're better off staying silent.

Members don't see this ad :)
No worries, I understand your concern. Representatives of the school said sending them makes no difference in their decision. Therefore, I just planned on never sending one because I thought it would make me look desperate, but at this point I am. Ready to exhaust all options because the end is near. Didn’t know if things changed a little since the cycle is at its end? I guess I’ll plan on just finding ways to cope. 😂

No worries, I understand your concern. Representatives of the school said sending them makes no difference in their decision. Therefore, I just planned on never sending one because I thought it would make me look desperate, but at this point I am. Ready to exhaust all options because the end is near. Didn’t know if things changed a little since the cycle is at its end? I guess I’ll plan on just finding ways to cope. 😂
If they didn't explicitly forbid it, and sending it will make you feel better, go ahead.

Reactions: 4 users
I just realized something today while working on my reapp. Last year when I submitted my transcripts and application, it never had my spring quarter grades because I was still taking those classes when I submitted them. Do you think I should email the school I am waitlisted on my finalized transcript? Is it worth sending it to them now?

I just realized something today while working on my reapp. Last year when I submitted my transcripts and application, it never had my spring quarter grades because I was still taking those classes when I submitted them. Do you think I should email the school I am waitlisted on my finalized transcript? Is it worth sending it to them now?
Yea I think that’s a substantial update

Reactions: 2 users
historically is there movement around CTE deadline (before/after) and then kind of silence?

historically is there movement around CTE deadline (before/after) and then kind of silence?
Feel like this is school dependent. For example the school I’m WL at historically has a cte around 6/5 and most movement is comes the few days before and after this date.

I am currently working at the school where I am waitlisted. Would it be seen as annoying if I get an updated recommendation letter from some of the docs I work with? I don't want to send too many new letters and seem annoying but I also don't know what else to do at this point :( The school says they accept new letters. @gyngyn

What is the chance of getting off the waitlist if the class is full but the CTE is not until July 1st?

I am currently working at the school where I am waitlisted. Would it be seen as annoying if I get an updated recommendation letter from some of the docs I work with? I don't want to send too many new letters and seem annoying but I also don't know what else to do at this point :( The school says they accept new letters. @gyngyn
Go ahead.

Reactions: 1 users
So I just received news that a manuscript I submitted was just accepted to a top journal in the field. Do you think this is enough for a whole update letter?

For background I interviewed in September and have sent 3 updates and 1 letter of intent over a span of 7 months with each having significant updates with my last letter being in early April and I was waitlisted before that last letter. Each of these letters has multiple publications/presentations and other career achievements. I am just fearful that this would put me in the "annoying" pile for the adcoms.

Could really use advice :)

Last edited:
So I just received news that a manuscript I submitted was just accepted to a top journal in the field. Do you think this is enough for a whole update letter?

For background I interviewed in September and have sent 3 updates and 1 letter of intent over a span of 7 months with each having significant updates with my last letter being in early April and I was waitlisted before that last letter. Each of these letters at multiple publications and other career achievements. I am just fearful that this would put me in the "annoying" pile for the adcoms.

Could really use advice :)
Given your previous efforts, it is unlikely to have any effect. If you will wonder whether this would have made a difference, go ahead. It's worth it just to avoid second guessing yourself later.

What exactly do I write in a letter of intent and/or update letter? I can only reiterate my intent so many times with each letter.

Just got off the waitlist to my #1 choice - my manifestations on this thread worked!! It feels so surreal and I feel so humbled by this entire process. I hope the best for everyone and may you all get your acceptance calls 🫶💕

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 46 users
Just got off the waitlist to my #1 choice - my manifestations on this thread worked!! It feels so surreal and I feel so humbled by this entire process. I hope the best for everyone and may you all get your acceptance calls 🫶💕
Congratulations!! This is so exciting <3

• Love
Got off my dream school's waitlist yesterday! Both schools I got into were off the waitlist and both A's came very late in the cycle. I realize it may not work out for everybody but don't lose hope yet, June is still young. Do everything in your power to secure the acceptance so that even if it doesn't work out, you can come to terms with it a bit easier and return even stronger next cycle.

I'm rooting for all of you, best of luck!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 40 users
Has anyone ever emailed to ask a school for extension on a CTE? I’m very fortunate to have gotten into a great school, but am waitlisted at both my dream school and another top choice instate MD that I would love to go to. Wondering if this has been done before

Has anyone ever emailed to ask a school for extension on a CTE? I’m very fortunate to have gotten into a great school, but am waitlisted at both my dream school and another top choice instate MD that I would love to go to. Wondering if this has been done before
You can ask, but they might say no.

By the way they won't judge you for asking for an extension, as long as you are polite about it.
I’m worried that if I end up matriculating it will already paint me in a poor light to the dean/admissions, but am really hoping to stay in my home state for a multitude of reasons that have been expressed to both schools. Do you think just keeping a short and to the point email to the dean of admissions is sufficient, or should I explain my reasons.

i am going crazy bc i got a likely email type situation from a school and I currently have zero acceptances and am on 5 WLs and i really hope they arent pranking me :( also I have shown enough patience lol I want some news end my misery but also I have trust issues i submitted my reapp haha

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Is there any chance there will be some movement around CTE dates? I called the school I am waitlisted at and they said they have not given out any acceptances to their waitlist… is this normal or am I just extremely unfortunate in the year I decided to apply? Maybe people will withdraw closer to the CTE date? Someone please give me some hope.

• Care
I feel with everyone on this thread. This is my third cycle. The first cycle 1 ii -> waitlist. 2nd cycle 2 ii-> waitlisted. This cycle 3 ii —> 3 waitlists. Movement seems slow across all the schools I’m waitlisted at. I already sent a letter of intent as well. Im out of ideas.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
I have decided that I will be receiving an acceptance email/call from one of my 4 waitlists sometime this week or next week! :)
got off the waitlist on 5/31! manifestation works :) there's still so much time, stay hopeful guys!!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Manifesting that I get off the waitlist to my top choice this cycle :)

• Love
Finally joined this thread to manifest that I get off the waitlist at my top choice soon and also to send good vibes to everyone :)!

• Love
  • Care
Manifesting that I will get off the WL for my top choice school!

• Love
Manifesting that I get off the waitlist to my top choice this cycle :)
Manifesting that I will get off the WL for my top choice school!
Finally joined this thread to manifest that I get off the waitlist at my top choice soon and also to send good vibes to everyone :)!
Here you go!

• Haha
Hoping, praying, and manifesting that I get off either of my IS WL schools! Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back as well

• Love
For those that are still on WL but re-applying this cycle can you like this message if you don’t have any additional activities to add but are just extending the time of those previous activities from last cycle. The only change I’ll have for my app is a minor-ly edited PS/WA and edited (maybe as I have no proof and can’t see them) LOR’s.

Thanks y’all! Keeping up hope and praying we all hear news worth celebrating this week!