MHA 2022 MHA: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wexner2021

Reaction score
Apps are opening up and I didn't see one of these for 2022, so I figured I would create one to get the ball rolling!

note: At the time of writing, some of these schools' applications are unavailable but will be applied to at a later date.

School: The Ohio State University
Major: B.S. Public Health with a specialization in sociology
GPA: Cumulative and Major 3.35/3.90 **SOPHAS verified GPA and application on 8/24**
GRE: N/A
Experience (professional or otherwise)
-10+ month internship as a financial analyst at the University Hospital
-4 month research lead position supporting health resources for local homeless/unsheltered community members (Volunteer)
-3+ Years of team management experience in retail (not directly relevant)

Applied: Ohio State(9/8), Johns Hopkins (9/8), Xavier(9/1)
Interview: Xavier (9/15), Ohio State (11/19)
Waitlist:
Rejected: JHU
Accepted: Xavier ($$)(9/21), Ohio State(11/30)
Attending: Ohio State

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
School: University of Connecticut
Major: Economics
GPA: 3.38
4+ years in retail
worked as a CNA for 6 months

Applied: Boston University,John Hopkins, Seton Hall, Suffolk, University of New haven
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Apps are opening up and I didn't see one of these for 2022, so I figured I would create one to get the ball rolling!

note: At the time of writing, some of these schools' applications are unavailable but will be applied to at a later date.

School: The Ohio State University
Major: B.S. Public Health with a specialization in sociology
GPA: Cumulative and Major 3.35/3.90 **SOPHAS verified GPA and application on 8/24**
-10+ month internship as a financial analyst at the University Hospital
-4 month research lead position supporting health resources for local homeless/unsheltered community members (Volunteer)
-3+ Years of team management experience in retail (not directly relevant)

Applied: Ohio State, Michigan, Johns Hopkins (8/23), Xavier(9/1), North Carolina, Columbia
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:
How long is your statement of purpose. Mine is over 1200 words lol. The schools I am applying to don't have a word limit but I am still a little worried.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long is your statement of purpose. Mine is over 1200 words lol. The schools I am applying to don't have a word limit but I am still a little worried.
Hey! It varies a little based on schools' requirements, but they're all between 1000-1200, I'd say. Feel free to message me, I'd be glad to talk about it if it would help!

Just interviewed with Xavier! I've been really impressed with all that the program offers - the administrative residency and post-graduation placements are really impressive, all at a very reasonable cost. I will definitely be considering Xavier when I make my decision

Did you have all your recommendation letters submitted when you applied?

Did you have all your recommendation letters submitted when you applied?
When I applied to Hopkins, I only had 2 submitted but had a third submitted within a week of my application's verification. Xavier only required two LOR's (I still submitted three), and I waited to apply to OSU until all three were submitted!

Accepted at Xavier with 35% scholarship!

Hey everyone!

I am a current MHA candidate at Hopkins, please feel free to reach out for any questions. The interview I had last year was really laid back and I enjoyed it a lot. The program is going well, tons of classes and we are getting started for our residency showcases as well.

Overall, my advice is to go to a school where you feel at home and where you like the culture. Another piece is, I would consider applying to all of the schools that offer residencies, if you are going to apply for an admin fellowship after a two-year program, would it not be better to apply to a 3-year program where you are guaranteed a residency with one of the schools partnering hospitals? Just something to think about,

One program that I absolutely loved was Xavier, they really care for their students and applicants too. Their ranking isn't as strong, but I really enjoyed their interview and they have an amazing program. Plus they are extremely affordable.

Also, consider the alumni network. They will ultimately help you get jobs/fellowships after the program.

feel free to ask me anything!

Schools that have residencies

Johns Hopkins
VCU
UAB
Xavier
Trinity in texas
GWU has something similar

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

I am a current MHA candidate at Hopkins, please feel free to reach out for any questions. The interview I had last year was really laid back and I enjoyed it a lot. The program is going well, tons of classes and we are getting started for our residency showcases as well.

Overall, my advice is to go to a school where you feel at home and where you like the culture. Another piece is, I would consider applying to all of the schools that offer residencies, if you are going to apply for an admin fellowship after a two-year program, would it not be better to apply to a 3-year program where you are guaranteed a residency with one of the schools partnering hospitals? Just something to think about,

One program that I absolutely loved was Xavier, they really care for their students and applicants too. Their ranking isn't as strong, but I really enjoyed their interview and they have an amazing program. Plus they are extremely affordable.

Also, consider the alumni network. They will ultimately help you get jobs/fellowships after the program.

Johns Hopkins
VCU
Xavier
Trinity in texas
Hello, thank you for getting involved and helping us out! I have been curious about the administrative residencies - what kind of value does this bring? If a program doesn't offer a residency as a part of its curriculum, how difficult is it do get one (either an admin residency or a fellowship) post-graduation? Just generally curious about the motives for pursuing such a fellowship, how difficult they are to attain, and the "necessity" of such a residency. Thanks!

Hello, thank you for getting involved and helping us out! I have been curious about the administrative residencies - what kind of value does this bring? If a program doesn't offer a residency as a part of its curriculum, how difficult is it do get one (either an admin residency or a fellowship) post-graduation? Just generally curious about the motives for pursuing such a fellowship, how difficult they are to attain, and the "necessity" of such a residency. Thanks!
My pleasure! A full-year administrative residency will provide you with the same benefits as a fellowship, that is based on my research and understanding from speaking with alumni from various programs. Admin Fellowships are extremely competitive, you have hundreds of applicants for 1-2 positions at most hospitals (not all hospitals have fellowships) Your chances of matching are low, not to deter you away from them, but they are competitive without a doubt.

Programs that offer residencies built-in will provide the same type of experience you would at a fellowship, except these are through the connections of alumni and relationships schools have with hospitals, consulting organizations, insurance, etc. They are also a graduation requirement, which means you will receive your degree after you complete it. This is a pro and con, many people don't like that because the academic portion is done and they don't have their MHA, but also a pro because the program has to help facilitate the residency for you through their connections.

During my process of applying to schools, I thought to myself, "If I am gonna apply for fellowships, why not go to schools that offer residencies which will provide me with the same experience as a fellowship"

That was my thought process, and I have no regrets. Hopkins is a two years program, and we have our residency process starting now, and am really enjoying it.

My top schools, if I didn't get into Hopkins would have been

VCU, Xavier, and probably OSU

My pleasure! A full-year administrative residency will provide you with the same benefits as a fellowship, that is based on my research and understanding from speaking with alumni from various programs. Admin Fellowships are extremely competitive, you have hundreds of applicants for 1-2 positions at most hospitals (not all hospitals have fellowships) Your chances of matching are low, not to deter you away from them, but they are competitive without a doubt.

Programs that offer residencies built-in will provide the same type of experience you would at a fellowship, except these are through the connections of alumni and relationships schools have with hospitals, consulting organizations, insurance, etc. They are also a graduation requirement, which means you will receive your degree after you complete it. This is a pro and con, many people don't like that because the academic portion is done and they don't have their MHA, but also a pro because the program has to help facilitate the residency for you through their connections.

During my process of applying to schools, I thought to myself, "If I am gonna apply for fellowships, why not go to schools that offer residencies which will provide me with the same experience as a fellowship"

That was my thought process, and I have no regrets. Hopkins is a two years program, and we have our residency process starting now, and am really enjoying it.

My top schools, if I didn't get into Hopkins would have been

VCU, Xavier, and probably OSU
Thanks for the info! Professionally speaking, what are the benefits here? Naturally I'm sure that a residency/fellowship further prepares you for "real" work in the field but does it propel you to higher, more challenging positions or do you feel that the value is brought purely by the skills/experiences learned in the residency?

Would anyone be able to speak on Johns Hopkins' turnaround/timeline? I applied pretty early but still have not heard back regarding an interview/rejection.

Members don't see this ad :)
School: Florida Int. University
Major: Bachelor of Health Services Administration (BHSA)
GPA: Cumulative 3.51/4.0 Major 3.61/3.90 **SOPHAS verified (3.5)**
Experience:
-1.5 years as Nutrition/Dietary Supervisor at a Hospital role includes clinical and managerial duties
-3+ years in Nutrition and Dietary area of hospitals and rehabilitation centers
-6 month Nutrition Therapy and Food Service Management Internship
-Healthcare Administrative internship beginning January 2022

Special Factors:
-completing undergrad early
-Certified Dietary Manager
-Member of: American College of Healthcare Executives (Student Member),
Association of Nutrition & Foodservice Professionals (Professional Member)

Applied/Will Apply: Cornell (9/20), JHU (9/23),
USF (11/9) , Tulane (11/9), UPenn (MPH)(11/11),
GWU (11/11)
Interview: Cornell (10/13), Tulane ($$)(11/16), JHU (1/18), GWU ($$)(1/25), USF (1/26)
Waitlist:
Rejected: UPenn (12/20)
Accepted: GWU (1/25), Tulane(11/17), USF (1/26), JHU (1/28), Cornell (1/30)
Attending:
Cornell MHA !!

Best of luck to everyone!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Why is this thread dead this year. I usually see so many applicants in the MHA thread for the previous years.

Why is this thread dead this year. I usually see so many applicants in the MHA thread for the previous years.
Honestly, I have no idea and have been wondering the same thing myself. I was engaged with last years' thread (wasn't applying in 21 cycle) and found it incredibly useful, really not sure why the engagement is so low this year :/

I know that my graduating class has been impacted by COVID immensely ; potentially people feel less prepared for or less certain that they want to pursue additional education at the moment? Just a guess

Hey everyone!

Johns Hopkins
VCU
UAB
Xavier
Trinity in texas
I am really interested in the JHU program but I am worried about how fast pace it is. Is it manageable? do you feel that you get to enjoy some free time outside of school?

I am really interested in the JHU program but I am worried about how fast pace it is. Is it manageable? do you feel that you get to enjoy some free time outside of school?
Hi! I'm not the person you replied to but I'm also in the Hopkins MHA cohort this year :) We're about 2 weeks away from finishing first term, and it's definitely manageable. We do have 3 classes in person M-W and the rest are over zoom, so that might be part of the reason. You have to study pretty much every day, but I haven't had trouble with fitting in free time. A typical day for me (can't say this for everyone) would consist of 1. Class 2. Study for a few hours with cohort friends 3. Go grab drinks or dinner or just hangout. We've also had time for day trips, going to bars, throwing parties, etc.
I'll also mention I'm not someone who can just read the material once and know it, I have to expend a lot more energy, and I haven't had issues with staying on top of classes and having free time.

If you have any more questions about Hopkins feel free to reach out!

Just interviewed with Cornell!! Dr. Carmalt is so nice. It was an amazing experience, very smooth going interview. Felt more like a comfortable chat.

Hey everyone! Last year when I was applying to programs this forum was extremely helpful. I am currently a first-year at the GW MHA program and love it! I'm happy to talk with anyone who has any questions about our program or about the application process in general (I applied to about 5 programs). Feel free tor reply or DM me!

Hey there! My classmate who replied to you is correct! I feel that there is plenty of time to do things, it took me a few weeks to adjust to the pace, but honestly, it is really doable. Definitely have to keep up with things, I finally found myself writing down due dates and making sure I was always ahead on assignments and not behind. We all have plenty of time to enjoy things as well, I think for most of us, it's keeping up with classes and not really worrying too much about the grades but understanding the material. Our teachers know why we are there and they are helpful as well. Extremely manageable for sure

Honestly, I have no idea and have been wondering the same thing myself. I was engaged with last years' thread (wasn't applying in 21 cycle) and found it incredibly useful, really not sure why the engagement is so low this year :/

I know that my graduating class has been impacted by COVID immensely ; potentially people feel less prepared for or less certain that they want to pursue additional education at the moment? Just a guess
I made it last years, and honestly, it might be a mix of things. I feel that it'll get even busier around December time. Many people submit their applications a little later in the cycle, which I think is fine. But don't forget, these programs have rolling admission. Get ahead of everyone else by applying earlier

Just interviewed with Cornell!! Dr. Carmalt is so nice. It was an amazing experience, very smooth going interview. Felt more like a comfortable chat.
Hi there! Congratulations! Can you tell me if they asked you any questions like 'what would you do in this situation'? Or any behaviour questions? That seemed to be the theme last time and the year before that.

Hi there! Congratulations! Can you tell me if they asked you any questions like 'what would you do in this situation'? Or any behaviour questions? That seemed to be the theme last time and the year before that.
Surprisingly there weren’t any situational questions! They asked why cornell and why an MHA. The rest was just discussing about my experience and interests after graduating from a masters program.

Has anyone heard back from Hopkins? Applied last month & haven’t heard anything back at all. Judging from previous years, it seems they typically got back to some people by this time of year which is why I’m asking.

Has anyone heard back from Hopkins? Applied last month & haven’t heard anything back at all. Judging from previous years, it seems they typically got back to some people by this time of year which is why I’m asking.
I also applied a while ago but still have not heard anything back... strange

I also applied a while ago but still have not heard anything back... strange
Strange indeed. I only applied to Hopkins as I expected timely reply but guess I will start rolling out apps to other programs to be safe!

I also applied to Hopkins about a month ago have not received any news.

Has anyone heard back from Hopkins? Applied last month & haven’t heard anything back at all. Judging from previous years, it seems they typically got back to some people by this time of year which is why I’m asking.I
It can vary from year to year, I applied at the beginning of September 2020 and didn't hear back until mid-October. Things are a little hectic right now within the department, give it a week or so. If you have questions, reach out to the program coordinator or director. You can find their email on the department website, I heard back after my interview and got accepted last october. Hope that helps. and good luck!

Great to hear!

Does Cornell still require a short video interview submission after submitting the application?

Does anyone have updates from Hopkins? Also, would anyone be able to provide info for OSU's turnaround time between interview and decision? I am going to have to ask for extensions on some other programs decisions but would like to have a good idea of how long it would take to get a decision from Ohio State. Thanks!

Does anyone have updates from Hopkins? Also, would anyone be able to provide info for OSU's turnaround time between interview and decision? I am going to have to ask for extensions on some other programs decisions but would like to have a good idea of how long it would take to get a decision from Ohio State. Thanks!
Still haven't heard anything from JHU either.. I reached out to them & they said to expect a response within a month of receiving complete application--But that doesn't seem to be the case so I'm not sure.

Hey y'all! I'm a first-year MHA student at Hopkins. I found this forum to be super helpful during the application process last year. If y'all have any questions about Hopkins or any other school's application process, feel free to reach out to me! I'm sure any other students in our Hopkins cohort would be more than happy to meet with you as well!

Great to hear!

Does Cornell still require a short video interview submission after submitting the application?
They aren’t requiring the short video at the moment if you apply during the priority deadline. I do believe when the deadline finishes December 1 they will require.

will anyone be attending the Cornell sloan visit day thursday and friday this week ?

Wasn’t accepted to Hopkins lol. Not even an interview! Wow! I loved the residency & one year aspect about the program but with the responsiveness I have received from the program, I don’t think it was the right place to be anyways. Emailed many times about different things and only one response. :)

For context

GPA: 3.86(Sophas) 4.00 (Degree)

some healthcare experience
I.T experience

Wasn’t accepted to Hopkins lol. Not even an interview! Wow! I loved the residency & one year aspect about the program but with the responsiveness I have received from the program, I don’t think it was the right place to be anyways. Emailed many times about different things and only one response. :)
No worries, I have had a similar and very disappointing experience with Hopkins as well. I still have not heard back about an interview (applied in early september) and communication with them has been difficult in general. :( Best of luck with the rest of your applications, you're going to do great!

Does anyone here have an interview scheduled with Ohio State? It appears to be in a group-ish format and was wondering if anyone will have their on the same date I am scheduled for (Friday Nov. 19)

Hey, so sorry to hear that. Hope you get into your other options! Did hopkins email to let you know you weren’t accepted or did you have to ask? From what i’ve seen they have lacked communication with all applicants

will anyone be attending the Cornell sloan visit day thursday and friday this week ?
Can’t make it but please share your thoughts on it
No worries, I have had a similar and very disappointing experience with Hopkins as well. I still have not heard back about an interview (applied in early september) and communication with them has been difficult in general. :( Best of luck with the rest of your applications, you're going to do great!
yup, unfortunate. Had different expectations but it is what it is. Thanks! Good luck to you too!!

Hey, so sorry to hear that. Hope you get into your other options! Did hopkins email to let you know you weren’t accepted or did you have to ask? From what i’ve seen they have lacked communication with all applicants
Thanks!! I emailed them last night in regards to not having heard back & this morning, I received an email that a decision had been posted on the Hopkins account. Not a direct response to that email but same message I guess lol.

Hello!
I would like to know more about the Cornell application, if that's okay with you
I applied before the priority deadline and was asked for a short video interview in order to complete the application
Came to this forum looking for guidance regarding the same

Last edited:
Anyone applying to VCU or have any interview information about the program?

Anyone applying to VCU or have any interview information about the program?
I applied, I believe i met with around 3 people. two faculty members (one was with a current student and faculty). Few information sessions apart of the interview day, they asked questions about how I deal with teams, issues I had. Projects I worked on with group members. Basic behavioral stuff, I really enjoyed there interview. Great school for sure :)

School: Foreign dental school
Major: Dentistry
GPA: 3.33
-12 month internship as a dentist at the University Hospital
-1 month volunteer as a vaccine administrator

Applied: Cornell(11/19), UNC-Chapel Hill (11/25), Columbia (11/26), University of Michigan (11/26), George Washington University (11/26), University of Southern California (12/11)
Interview: UNC-Chapel Hill (12/10), University of Michigan (12/23), Columbia (1/5)
Waitlist: Columbia
Rejected: Cornell (12/21), George Washington University (1/11)
Accepted: UNC-Chapel Hill (12/17), University of Michigan w/ 25% scholarship (1/15), University of Southern California w/ 50% scholarship (2/17)
Attending: UNC - Chapel Hill

Will apply to more schools in the next few days. Really surprised by the lack of activity in this thread.
Cornell requires me to submit a video interview to complete my application. Can anyone share some insight into that?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi, everyone! I am a current 1st year MHA student at Cornell University. I know some people have applied and some are still researching/ gathering their app materials. Feel free to reach out to me as I'd be happy to answer questions regarding the Sloan Program or MHA's in general. Last cycle I applied, interviewed, and was accepted to Cornell and Johns Hopkins University.

A few tips:
- Quantify your resume! Admissions teams really want to see the breadth of your experience.
- Have many eyes look over your SOP & Resume (preferably professors, advisors, or supervisors; aka someone who has skin in the game)
- Don't be afraid to apply! You might feel a bit apprehensive or like you don't have the right experience/gpa/etc. Have faith and shoot for the stars. You've got this!

All the best
V