MHA 2022 MHA: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got accepted to Ohio State! The interview was chill but definitely more conversational than Rush with 2 faculty, 2 students, and the director. Super excited about this offer and definitely will be considering it. Turn around was 2 business days even though they said 2 weeks. Questions asked were the typical MHA interview questions and more experience questions as well.
Awesome! Congrats!!! Do you know where you'll be attending?

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome! Congrats!!! Do you know where you'll be attending?
I’ll be interviewing at UAB soon, so I’ll make my decision once I get that out of the way and hear back. To be honest, I really enjoyed my time with OSU. For me it’ll be either uab (if I get in) or osu.

School: Public State University
Major: B.S. Public Health
GPA: Cumulative and Major 3.35 cumulative/3.86 major **HAMPCAS verified GPA
GRE: N/A
Experience (professional or otherwise)
- 1 year working with national nonprofit
- 1 year working in clinical research
- 3 months training as Emergency Medical Technician
- Various shadowing and clinical opportunities

Applied: Ohio State (12/1), Cornell (12/1), MUSC (12/1), VCU (1/7), GW (1/8), UNC (1/10), Rush (1/11), Iowa (1/9), UMinn (1/15), JHU (1/15), Pitt (1/15)
Interview: OSU (2/18), VCU (2/22), Rush (2/4), GWU (2/2), MUSC (2/15), UW (2/5), UMinn (2/11), Pitt (2/9)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Cornell (12/20), JHU (2/9)
Accepted: Rush (2/7), GWU (2/7), MUSC (2/16), UMN (3/4), UNC (3/4), VCU (2/23)
Attending: UMN

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
School: State University
Major: B.S. Community Health
GPA: SOPHAS verified 3.97
Experiences (professional or otherwise):
- 1 year working as a Community Health Worker at FQHC
- Interned at local hospital for 4 months
- On exec board for 2 different organizations during undergrad
- College TA for 1.5 years
- Worked part-time throughout undergrad

Applied: Rush (11/25) Cornell (11/29), Columbia (12/1), Johns Hopkins (12/14), SLU (12/31)
Interview: Cornell (1/6), Rush (1/7), JHU (1/11), SLU (3/4)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Rush (1/10), JHU (1/13)
Attending:

School: State University
Major: B.S. Community Health
GPA: SOPHAS verified 3.97
- 1 year working as a Community Health Worker at FQHC
- Interned at local hospital for 4 months
- On exec board for 2 different organizations during undergrad
- College TA for 1.5 years
- Worked part-time throughout undergrad

Applied: Rush (11/25) Cornell (11/29), Columbia (12/1), Johns Hopkins (12/14), SLU (12/31)
Interview: Cornell (1/6), Rush (1/7), JHU (1/11), SLU (3/4)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Rush (1/10), JHU (1/13)
Attending:
Which school are you thinking about attending?

Had my Michigan interview yesterday! It was very relaxed and I felt like I was nervous for no reason!

Reactions: 1 users
Had my Michigan interview yesterday! It was very relaxed and I felt like I was nervous for no reason!
Congrats! I had my Michigan interview yesterday too lol It was way more relaxed (and shorter) than expected.

To anybody wondering about the unc-ch interview, I gave it yesterday and it was quite relaxed with basic mha related questions.
A second year student and a faculty member (Jeffery Simms) were taking my interview. Jeffery is a great guy and most of the questions were actually asked by the student, with him only supervising. A few questions that I can remember are:
1. Why MHA and why UNC
2. What do you like the most about practicing medicine (I belong to a foreign country and am a doctor)
3. What are some problems with the US healthcare system
4. Strengths/weaknesses
5. Proudest accomplishment
6. Some questions on teamwork

Reactions: 2 users
To anybody wondering about the unc-ch interview, I gave it yesterday and it was quite relaxed with basic mha related questions.
A second year student and a faculty member (Jeffery Simms) were taking my interview. Jeffery is a great guy and most of the questions were actually asked by the student, with him only supervising. A few questions that I can remember are:
1. Why MHA and why UNC
2. What do you like the most about practicing medicine (I belong to a foreign country and am a doctor)
3. What are some problems with the US healthcare system
4. Strengths/weaknesses
5. Proudest accomplishment
6. Some questions on teamwork
That was my experience with UNC as well. Was there a FAQ session with current MHA students after the interview?

Anyone here from University of Michigan, or strongly considering it? I was just accepted, would love to talk to current students and people considering going there!

Hey everyone, I got my acceptance from Yale MPH in Health Care Management this week. However, I heard that because they are not CAHME accredited it may be difficult trying to get administrative fellowships Bc many fellows require that accreditation. Can anyone validate if this is true?
Although it may be "more difficult" and not CAHME accredited, I believe that Yale MPH HCM carries weight in the industry. I am currently wrapping up my final didactic semester at GW before moving into my fellowship, and I have met a handful of Yale MPH HCM and Emory MPH HCM candidates throughout my internship and fellowship interviews, respectively. Just off the top of my head, I know quite a few Yale MPH candidates/graduates that recently placed or placed at great organizations.

I know that non-accredited programs may have a more difficult time competing in case competitions or attending certain conferences, but Yale (and Emory) are great programs that should not be discredited.

Although it may be "more difficult" and not CAHME accredited, I believe that Yale MPH HCM carries weight in the industry. I am currently wrapping up my final didactic semester at GW before moving into my fellowship, and I have met a handful of Yale MPH HCM and Emory MPH HCM candidates throughout my internship and fellowship interviews, respectively. Just off the top of my head, I know quite a few Yale MPH candidates/graduates that recently placed or placed at great organizations.

I know that non-accredited programs may have a more difficult time competing in case competitions or attending certain conferences, but Yale (and Emory) are great programs that should not be discredited.
Thank you so much for your insight. Is there a requirement for programs to have a CAHME accreditation to compete in case competitions and conferences?

Hey everyone!

I am a current MHA candidate at Hopkins, please feel free to reach out for any questions. The interview I had last year was really laid back and I enjoyed it a lot. The program is going well, tons of classes and we are getting started for our residency showcases as well.

Overall, my advice is to go to a school where you feel at home and where you like the culture. Another piece is, I would consider applying to all of the schools that offer residencies, if you are going to apply for an admin fellowship after a two-year program, would it not be better to apply to a 3-year program where you are guaranteed a residency with one of the schools partnering hospitals? Just something to think about,

One program that I absolutely loved was Xavier, they really care for their students and applicants too. Their ranking isn't as strong, but I really enjoyed their interview and they have an amazing program. Plus they are extremely affordable.

Also, consider the alumni network. They will ultimately help you get jobs/fellowships after the program.

feel free to ask me anything!

Schools that have residencies

Johns Hopkins
VCU
UAB
Xavier
Trinity in texas
GWU has something similar
Hi! I hope all is well. I applied to Hopkins' MHA program and my application was marked as complete on October 11, 2021. I have not heard back from them ever since. I was just wondering if you knew what the timeline for the process looked like, if everyone who applies gets an interview and etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
That was my experience with UNC as well. Was there a FAQ session with current MHA students after the interview?

Anyone here from University of Michigan, or strongly considering it? I was just accepted, would love to talk to current students and people considering going there!
While I can’t talk about the program specifically, I am a Umich alum and think you would love the atmosphere in general! Michigan has an awesome campus culture, vibe, and faculty.

Has anyone went through UAB's interview yet?
I literally just finished my UAB interview. You can definitely tell they are a top program right when you enter the floor. They take pride in their impact in the field of healthcare. 2 students, 2 faculty and an alum. Amazing experience in general just know your why and be ready to talk about your self and how you want to transform the field of healthcare. If you have had any previous interview experience, you will be just fine! Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
School: Private University
Major: B.S. Health Administration
Minors: Public Health, Business Administration
GPA: 3.51 Cumulative: 3.37 (SOPHAS)
- Financial analyst CO-OP at healthcare company or 6 months
- Data analyst intern at health network for 8 months
- Peer mentor
- Volunteer TA for 2 terms
- Volunteered abroad
- Lead Volunteer at Non-profit

Applied: JHU (1/14), Columbia (1/14), UMN (1/15), GWU (2/16), UMICH (3/8), Tulane(3/8)
Interview: Columbia (2/11), Uminn (2/18), Tulane (3/23), GW (4/12) Umich (4/13)
Waitlist: Columbia
Rejected: JHU (1/29)
Accepted: University of Minnesota (3/2), Tulane University (4/6), George Washington University (4/13)
Attending:

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone who has applied to JHU, Columbia, or Uminn could let me know the timeline once you applied to the school.

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone who has applied to JHU, Columbia, or Uminn could let me know the timeline once you applied to the school.
Applied to Columbia on 12/1...just heard back yesterday for an invitation to interview. Based off this I would probably assume a month.

I applied to Columbia on 11/15, interview on 12/14, and still no response! Fingers crossed that they start to send out acceptances! It does seem like the trend is having the interview a month after applying.

Last edited:
I applied to Minn on 12/28 and they got back to me about a week and a half ago to schedule an interview for 1/28! I think most of the delay was the holiday, though.

Hi everyone! I was recently accepted into Emory's MPH in HPM on the Management track. I know the program was briefly mentioned earlier along with Yale's MPH, but I was wondering if anyone had any input on how transferable/respected Emory's degree is for administration positions or fellowships, specifically in the Northeast (given it is not through CAHME). The program seems to be great, but I'm not sure how it compares to my other options (GW and Columbia MHA, Tufts and BU MPH) especially if I'm not planning on staying in the South after graduating. Thanks in advance!

I literally just finished my UAB interview. You can definitely tell they are a top program right when you enter the floor. They take pride in their impact in the field of healthcare. 2 students, 2 faculty and an alum. Amazing experience in general just know your why and be ready to talk about your self and how you want to transform the field of healthcare. If you have had any previous interview experience, you will be just fine! Best of luck to you!
Thank you!

I just had mine yesterday! It was with an admissions director and pretty chill. Just talked about my experiences, why JHU, why MHA.
Who did you interview with? I have mine scheduled next week and I’m trying to prepare for possible questions!

Who did you interview with? I have mine scheduled next week and I’m trying to prepare for possible questions!
Dr. Bittle! I was very nervous but it went very well, we ended up chatting for about an hour! We just talked about my work experiences, why MHA, and I just asked him questions about Hopkins. Good luck!!

Hi! I hope you're well! If you don't mind me asking, when did you apply to the MHA program?

School: Indiana University
Major: B.S. Healthcare Management & Policy
Minor: Human Resource Management
GPA: 3.55
- Volunteer at two different hospital
- Interned tech consulting firm summer'21
- 4-year college internship at local city hall
- Exec Board for 2 undergraduate organizations

Applied: Columbia (11/24) OSU(11/24), SLU (11/24), UMinn (11/24), JHU (11/24)
Interview: OSU(12/10/21), Columbia(12/16/21), SLU (1/7/22), UMinn (2/4/2022)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: OSU (12/15/21), SLU (1/20/22) UMinn(2/15/22),
Attending:

Will update as I learn more, Best of luck everyone!

Last edited:
Does anybody know how scholarships work for most programs? Is it something that you apply for after you have been accepted (or during the application)? Or will the program offer you a scholarship if you have qualified when they send you your admissions invitation?

Also, has anyone who has interviewed with VCU heard anything back about admissions decisions? I interviewed 12/10 and still have yet to hear anything back.

Has anyone heard from GWU?
I just got an email from a professor in the Health Policy & Management department yesterday to schedule an interview! I'll be doing the interview over Zoom next week and I applied mid-November.

I just got an email from a professor in the Health Policy & Management department yesterday to schedule an interview! I'll be doing the interview over Zoom next week and I applied mid-November.
Congrats! Did you apply for MHA or an MPH?

Has anyone received an interview at Iowa and if so, how did it go? Format?
I had an interview on the 10th of December and was admitted the 22nd. The format was basically like the night before there was an optional dinner to get to know current students and other candidates. The actual interview date we had a group overview presentation and then three different interviews with alumni and current professors and a writing exam. It was v chill.

Last edited:
I also heard back from GWU today about an interview and applied to the MHA program early-Nov!

Thank you so much for your insight. Is there a requirement for programs to have a CAHME accreditation to compete in case competitions and conferences?
Not all case competitions, but the majority only allow CAHME accredited programs to participate.

Just got invited to interview with GWU!

School: Public University within the deep southeast belt.
Major: B.S. Biomedical Sciences (BMD)
Minor: Chemistry
GPA: Cumulative 3.72 - HAMPCAS verified GPA
University Honors Program
+3 years Cancer and Alzheimer's research
+1 year volunteering at a local food bank
+2 years chemistry lab TA
Over 60 hours of physician shadowing
2 publications
Different clubs on campus, Fraternity exec board, and peer mentor

Applied: The Ohio State University (11/29), UAB (11/29), St. Louis University (11/29), Rush (11/29), George Washington University (11/29)
Interview: SLU (12/10), UAB (1/18), Rush (1/7), OSU (1/7)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
SLU (12/15/21), Rush (1/10/22), OSU (1/12/22)
Attending:
How was the Rush interview?

School: State School in Midwest
Major: B.S. Finance
Minor: Public Health
GPA: 3.92
- Intern in Healthcare IT
- Co-Op in Accounting for 16 months
- Intern at mid-size consulting firm
- Intern for Hospital System

Applied: SLU (10/20), JHU (10/25), UIC (11/3) , GWU (11/9), Michigan (11/12)
Interview: JHU (11/11), Michigan (12/1), SLU (12/10), GWU (1/24)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: JHU (11/24), SLU (12/15), Michigan (12/17), UIC (12/20), GWU (1/24)
Attending:

School: State School in Midwest
Major: B.S. Finance
Minor: Public Health
GPA: 3.92
- Intern in Healthcare IT
- Co-Op in Accounting for 16 months
- Intern at mid-size consulting firm
- Intern for Hospital System

Applied: SLU (10/20), JHU (10/25), UIC (11/3) , GWU (11/9), Michigan (11/12)
Interview: JHU (11/11), Michigan (12/1), SLU (12/10), GWU (1/24)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: JHU (11/24), SLU (12/15), Michigan (12/17), UIC (12/20), GWU (1/24)
Attending:
Congrats on your GWU acceptance!! How did your interview go? I have mine later this week!

School: Large State School
Major: B.S. Health Services Administration
Minor: Business
GPA: Cumulative and Major 3.4/4.0
- 4+ years of Veterinary related work and internships
- President, VP, Treasurer and other Exec Positions for multiple campus orgs
- Administrative internship under Hospital CEO/ VP of large health system
- Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt Certification

Applied: Johns Hopkins (1/5), George Washington (1/5), UNC-Chapel Hill (1/6), Michigan (1/6), Columbia (1/6)
Interview: JHU (1/24), GW (1/31), UNC-CH (1/25), Michigan (2/3), Columbia (1/27)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: JHU (1/24), GW (2/4), UNC-CH (1/26), Michigan (2/11), Columbia (2/8)
Attending: JHU!!

I would love to connect with other accepted JHU students!

Last edited:
Congrats on your GWU acceptance!! How did your interview go? I have mine later this week!
Thanks!! And it was more of a discussion than an interview in my opinion, so pretty relaxed which definitely eased the nerves! Other than the basic why MHA type questions most of it was me asking him questions. Good luck!

School: Large State School
Major: B.S. Health Services Administration
Minor: Business
GPA: Cumulative and Major 3.4/4.0
- 4+ years of Veterinary related work and internships
- President, VP, Treasurer and other Exec Positions for multiple campus orgs
- Administrative internship under Hospital CEO/ VP of large health system
- Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt Certification

Applied: Johns Hopkins (1/5), George Washington (1/5)
Interview: JHU (1/24)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: JHU (1/24)
Attending:

I would love to connect with other accepted JHU students!
Hello, Congratulations on your acceptance! When did JHU ask for an interview? I applied late November and still haven't heard back.