2023-2024 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
currently waiting on 2 WLs. the school I'm currently PTE at has their CTE deadline june 1st, but the WL schools are june 15... not sure how to navigate that if anyone has any advice
There’s really nothing to navigate right now

If you have a second offer before June 1 be ready to decide quickly
If you are still ON WLs, there must be something you prefer about those schools to your current one, right?
If you were offered a place right now, with no knowledge about FA, would you stay or go?

These are the questions to answer, to yourself, and if nothing happens before June 1 then CTE to your current acceptance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Currently on WL and preparing for reapp, anyone able to look over my personal statement?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else stressing about the timeline for moving, getting an apartment, etc? I'm moving out-of-state and will have to drive for three days. I don't even know where I'm going yet!!! And I'm bringing a dog and a spouse!

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else stressing about the timeline for moving, getting an apartment, etc? I'm moving out-of-state and will have to drive for three days. I don't even know where I'm going yet!!! And I'm bringing a dog and a spouse!
Yup. I’m really nervous about this. Idk what I’d do if I find a roommate and sign a lease and then get off my WL last second. Really hoping for my top choice to pan out. PLEASE NYMC!!!!

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
im bringing three dogs and a fiance to idk where yet 😟

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Should I add a school I’m waitlisted at to FAFSA? Or wait to see if I am accepted?

Should I add a school I’m waitlisted at to FAFSA? Or wait to see if I am accepted?
I went ahead and completed the FAFSA I was WLed at! That way, there are not further delays on my end. The FAFSA was really quick, seeing as how the new formula requires pulling most of the financial info from your 2022 IRS 1040.

Reactions: 3 users
School I'm waiting on pulls from WL til June 5th... starting to wonder if I should start bracing myself with a "expect the worst, hope for the best" mindset? Where's everyone elses' head at?

• Care
I know there won’t be a definitive answer for this, but I’m not really sure of how to figure this out on my own. Does anyone know roughly what percentage of schools CTE deadline has already happened? Roughly what percentage will happen sometime in June, and roughly what percentage will happen sometime in July? Just trying to gauge when a few more people might have to start committing and therefore withdrawing from WLs. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know there won’t be a definitive answer for this, but I’m not really sure of how to figure this out on my own. Does anyone know roughly what percentage of schools CTE deadline has already happened? Roughly what percentage will happen sometime in June, and roughly what percentage will happen sometime in July? Just trying to gauge when a few more people might have to start committing and therefore withdrawing from WLs. Thanks!
Can someone explain why people withdrawing from WLs may result in movement? Doesn't everyone narrowing down to one acceptance by 4/30 and the fact that it's already late May mean that the primary result is just smaller med school WLs?

Can someone explain why people withdrawing from WLs may result in movement? Doesn't everyone narrowing down to one acceptance by 4/30 and the fact that it's already late May mean that the primary result is just smaller med school WLs?
Withdrawing from waitlists does not have an effect on the number accepted from waitlists.

About 20 schools have a CTE before 6/1.
Most of the rest are divided pretty equally between mid June and early July.

About 20 schools have a CTE before 6/1.
Most of the rest are divided pretty equally between mid June and early July.
When do you think this stall in movement will pick up? Or are we just in a year where there is generally very little movement for some reason?

When do you think this stall in movement will pick up? Or are we just in a year where there is generally very little movement for some reason?
Although most wait-list action seems to happen in May, we can expect some shuffling to continue in June.
It's been this way since the new traffic "rules."

Although most wait-list action seems to happen in May, we can expect some shuffling to continue in June.
It's been this way since the new traffic "rules."
Ok, thanks. Because the school I’m WLed at usually has had 3-4 WL drops by now in a regular year, yet they’ve only had 1 reported drop 2 weeks ago this year so I’m curious if there will just be a shift where most of the movement will happen in June, or if we are just destined to have minimal movement this year…

I’m curious if there will just be a shift where most of the movement will happen in June, or if we are just destined to have minimal movement this year…

Once waitlist activity begins, it may continue until orientation. Action does tend to slow down over time, though.

@gyngyn, can you speak to whether you believe the bulk of WL movement has already happened or if majority of it will start in June? Two of the schools I’m WLd at seem to not have had significant movement

@gyngyn, can you speak to whether you believe the bulk of WL movement has already happened or if majority of it will start in June? Two of the schools I’m WLd at seem to not have had significant movement
If historical trends prevail, most of the MD waitlist movement will have occurred by June.

If historical trends prevail, most of the MD waitlist movement will have occurred by June.
Would you say the trends may not apply this year due to the FAFSA delay and general delay in WL movement that appears to be prevalent at many schools?

Reactions: 1 users
Would you say the trends may not apply this year due to the FAFSA delay and general delay in WL movement that appears to be prevalent at many schools?
The FAFSA issue seems to have had an effect in the first few weeks, but things seem to have caught up to about where they were this time last year (at least in CA).
Though we are all inter-related (except TX!), any particular school may have a different experience.

is hope lost?
hope GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Hellooooo, does anyone know when Albany's commit to enroll date is? I am currently on the waitlist and wondering if I should lose all hope now :(

^^ This might be a dumb question but they don't pull from waitlist anymore after the CTE deadline, right?

^^ This might be a dumb question but they don't pull from waitlist anymore after the CTE deadline, right?
in theory a school still could if a student dropped or deferred their acceptance after the CTE deadline, but this happens very infrequently (usually if a student has some sort of emergency preventing them from attending)

has anyone successfully tried to somehow leverage an acceptance at a medical school to gain acceptance at their preferred medical school?

Of course they do. If someone fails to commit by the deadline and the class is no longer full as a result, they can bring in someone from the WL.
There’s also the possibility that at this moment the class is over its usual number and they expect some people not to commit, so having a few “not commit” will just bring them down to the right size class.

• Wow
Do these sources have any info on how full the class is? Do we think there will be more movement?
Even if the class size is reached, there may still be movement if folks withdraw to go to other schools.

has anyone successfully tried to somehow leverage an acceptance at a medical school to gain acceptance at their preferred medical school?
If the school you want has reached the point at which the waitlist is employed, and you are the most desirable candidate, and they accept LoI's, and you have indicated that you will absolutely attend, you have done everything possible. Telling them about another acceptance won't add anything.

• Wow
If the school you want has reached the point at which the waitlist is employed, and you are the most desirable candidate, and they accept LoI's, and you have indicated that you will absolutely attend, you have done everything possible. Telling them about another acceptance won't add anything.
If we get to late June and I haven’t heard back, is there anything to gain from sending an additional short letter of continued interest/intent? I already sent a letter of intent in February…

If we get to late June and I haven’t heard back, is there anything to gain from sending an additional short letter of continued interest/intent? I already sent a letter of intent in February…
At that point, you have nothing to lose. Keep it very short and direct.

Reactions: 2 users
How are you all coping with the uncertainty? I'm so grateful to have an A at an out of state school, but am currently waitlisted at one of my state schools. I'm so anxious and am finding it so hard to get excited/make arrangements at the out of state school as I'd much rather prefer to stay close to home and am already beginning to get emotional about potentially moving away my family. I've already sent a letter of intent to my state school and am not sure if there's anything else I can do at this point

How are you all coping with the uncertainty? I'm so grateful to have an A at an out of state school, but am currently waitlisted at one of my state schools. I'm so anxious and am finding it so hard to get excited/make arrangements at the out of state school as I'd much rather prefer to stay close to home and am already beginning to get emotional about potentially moving away my family. I've already sent a letter of intent to my state school and am not sure if there's anything else I can do at this point
I'm in the same situation (OOS A, hoping for IS A from WL), and I've been really getting into fitness and nutrition to keep myself from checking CYMS and email all day - after all, it's nice to set a good example for our future patients, right? Also, if you're religious, having faith in God's plan sure makes this whole process much less stressful

Reactions: 6 users
Im unsure when to lose hope. I want to believe its not over but this whole waiting game is really hard

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Another day passes and I think wow, how have they not chosen me yet. I went back and got a masters degree, improved my gpa, improved my MCAT by 11 points, I have much shadowing and on the job experience, especially in the emergency room, my essays will grab your attention and make you cry, I went 5k further into debt just to apply, traveled across the south united states to interviews on my last dime as a broke kid chasing my dreams. And yet here I am, still not good enough….. Is it because I am a white male, or is your late 20’s too old to apply now? Or maybe its because I am middle class and don't have a doctor in the family. All I know is that I am all in on this and if they don't choose me its their loss.
You had me until the end there. Focus on going over your application, revising what you wrote, and improving your stats/activities even more. It’s not because you are a white male or in your late 20s. If you keep telling yourself that, you’ll keep yourself from actually improving the areas you need to improve.

Reactions: 7 users
Another day passes and I think wow, how have they not chosen me yet. I went back and got a masters degree, improved my gpa, improved my MCAT by 11 points, I have much shadowing and on the job experience, especially in the emergency room, my essays will grab your attention and make you cry, I went 5k further into debt just to apply, traveled across the south united states to interviews on my last dime as a broke kid chasing my dreams. And yet here I am, still not good enough….. Is it because I am a white male, or is your late 20’s too old to apply now? Or maybe its because I am middle class and don't have a doctor in the family. All I know is that I am all in on this and if they don't choose me its their loss.
To be honest man I empathize with you but you got to realize a lot of us are in your boat and many people that got accepted are as exceptional as well. For starters, for my alma mater I did research with them, started clubs, got glowing recs from doctors that worked at the school, graduated summa cum laude with an MCAT above their median with not even an interview.

The thing is, this process isn’t down to an exact science, and although we are great applicants to ourselves we can’t always expect to get into medical school right away considering how competitive the applicant pool is.

Reactions: 7 users
My b, one too many millers and too excited for the Mavs game. I realize it is competitive; if I fail, it is 100 percent entirely my fault. I was a year college athlete, and in every description, I explained what I learned, 3 DO letters, one laboratory director well written ( was my director on the front lines of COVID-19), one letter from STEM department head A$M and UNT program director letter, explained all my shortcomings and how I overcame and what I want to contribute. This is my 2nd time applying in three years. I'm telling you I did it right, and I did everything I could do. I guess I will have to accept it and become a foot and ankle surgeon.
Did you apply to some of the newer schools?