2023 Match Data

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Crazy these millennials posting about not matching. Not sure what her speciality she wanted to go into. But looks like she goes to some new Californian lcme med school? California university ?l that opened up in 2015

saw her on youtube the other day. think she wanted plastics.

Members don't see this ad.

Biglaw or SOAP?

I’d take SOAP into whatever specialty than commit suicide while dealing with f***ery at these kind of firms

Reactions: 1 user
Biglaw or SOAP?

I’d take SOAP into whatever specialty than commit suicide while dealing with f***ery at these kind of firms

Medicine similar mindset in my opinion… of course you can find better gigs but the expectations can be both unreasonable and unhealthy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medicine similar mindset in my opinion… of course you can find better gigs but the expectations can be both unreasonable and unhealthy.

God I’d give myself 2 weeks before I ended up in HR. And another 2 weeks to get **** canned. Probably more like 3 weeks total.

• Haha
honestly this doesnt sound that bad. 850$ a hour just to be 'online'? which just means your phone isnt on silent. sign me up.

you get paid like 200k starting. thats compared to intern year of medicine,where you work just as much and you get like 15$ a hour lol. and patients life is on the line. lawyers who get into big law firms can go to many places after, and they can leave whenever.

assuming you do a 4 year residency. your 1st year as attending is comparable to their 5th year big law associate. they wouldve already made 1M+ gross income by then. and by their 5th year, their income is comparable to yours.. ~300k . if they make partner by the end they are set. yes they work hard, but so do you!

Reactions: 2 users
honestly this doesnt sound that bad. 850$ a hour just to be 'online'? which just means your phone isnt on silent. sign me up.

you get paid like 200k starting. thats compared to intern year of medicine,where you work just as much and you get like 15$ a hour lol. and patients life is on the line. lawyers who get into big law firms can go to many places after, and they can leave whenever.

assuming you do a 4 year residency. your 1st year as attending is comparable to their 5th year big law associate. they wouldve already made 1M+ gross income by then. and by their 5th year, their income is comparable to yours.. ~300k . if they make partner by the end they are set. yes they work hard, but so do you!

850/hr? Where is this gig ?!

Big law is more of a grind than many here probably appreciate. It’s true that they make more than medical residents, but they are regularly working 90-110 hour weeks.

They also have zero protected off time. Even if they take a vacation, they are still expected to be available to work at a moment’s notice. If the client or partner says jump, they ask how high.

Many do jump ship after a few years to a more reasonably paced in-house counsel type gig for basically family medicine money. If you want big money in that domain, you need to climb the ladder and be available pretty much 24/7. You have a little more control over your schedule, but you likely won’t make big law partner money. Only the most severe workaholic types can stick with it for 9 years or whatever to make partner, and while they have more control over their schedule than a junior associate, they still have to work basically all the time. There is no work/life balance.

It’s true that they aren’t making life and death decisions. However. their clients behave as if they are, and they have to deal with that headache/stress. Add in the reduced job stability and increased vulnerability to business cycles, and they have plenty of stressors that don’t impact us as much.

Med students need good advice to Match in 2024. Are they getting the advice they need? If the chance at success is 70% will that student still try to Match? What if it is 80%? Too many great kids will go UNMATCHED because he/she gambled their future for the dream; I think a student should choose a specialty based on 90% success rate of Matching; if the rate is lower then a backup plan is vital to that student. Is the student willing to forgo a realistic specialty with good prospects to have a chance at their dream specialty? That's where the MATCH falls short.
It shouldn't be a gamble. Applicants shouldn't be stigmatized during interviews in a back up specialty as long as they answer "yes" to the question of whether they will give a 100 percent effort and not have a chip on their shoulder for not getting their first choice. Unlike applying to medical schools, there is no osteopathic schools, Guadalajara, Grenada, Dominican Republic, etc. There is a SOAP but still less optimal than a very good medical student missing out on the most desirable specialties.
I have spent 38 years in my second choice specialty and have no regrets that I did not get my first choice in retrospect knowing what I do now. I have participated in multiple residency interview sessions and see applicants not taken seriously when it is known that they are interviewing in their backup specialty. :(