MD & DO [AMA] Match Day 2024 press release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

In 2023, the surprising Match Day development was an unexpected rise in the number of unfilled positions in emergency medicine. That specialty rebounded in 2024 with a 95.5% fill rate, up 13.9 percentage points over last year.

This year, pediatrics showed a jump in unfilled positions. In the 2024 Match, pediatrics offered 3,139 categorical and filled 2,887, resulting in a fill rate of 92%, compared to 97.1% in 2023.

Members don't see this ad.

In 2023, the surprising Match Day development was an unexpected rise in the number of unfilled positions in emergency medicine. That specialty rebounded in 2024 with a 95.5% fill rate, up 13.9 percentage points over last year.

This year, pediatrics showed a jump in unfilled positions. In the 2024 Match, pediatrics offered 3,139 categorical and filled 2,887, resulting in a fill rate of 92%, compared to 97.1% in 2023.

Please correct me, if I am wrong. This whole debate of step 1 pass/fail, didnt change much of data of how match result has been in past. Competitive speciality, like anesthesia. Ob gyn. All surgical sub speciality like ortho. Derm. Ent. Etc… continues to remain as competitive as before. Primary care remains as unfilled as before. with exception of shift between EM and Peds. Last year what happened to EM, happened to Peds this year. EM recovered. So to me, nothing much changed with step 1 change from landscape of competitveness of specialities.

Reactions: 2 users
Please correct me, if I am wrong. This whole debate of step 1 pass/fail, didnt change much of data of how match result has been in past. Competitive speciality, like anesthesia. Ob gyn. All surgical sub speciality like ortho. Derm. Ent. Etc… continues to remain as competitive as before. Primary care remains as unfilled as before. with exception of shift between EM and Peds. Last year what happened to EM, happened to Peds this year. EM recovered. So to me, nothing much changed with step 1 change from landscape of competitveness of specialities.

It can sometimes be more challenging to draw conclusions from the advance data releases. For example, "emergency medicine rebounded;" i.e. MD matches increased by <1%, DO matches increased by 47%. "Pediatrics showed a jump in unfilled positions" = pediatrics applications dropped 1.6% from the prior three-year average, new peds spots jumped 4.6% from the prior three-year average. They just created a bunch of new spots they didn't fill. Etc. We'll have to wait for the next charting outcomes to draw real conclusions.

Reactions: 2 users