2026 Pharmacist Job Outlook Looks Good

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted462159

Some good news for once. Kind of. According to BLS, "the total pharmacist employment figure is projected to grow by almost 18,000 jobs by 2026." Granted, newer schools popping up will pump out more pharmacists than that, but it's a start - much better than prior forecasts of decreases.

Drug Channels: 2026 Pharmacist Job Outlook Looks Good, Especially for Hospital Pharmacists

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Reactions: 7 users
By “Good” you mean “Less Bad”? Still bad.

I did qualify it afterward. But you're right, maybe good should be in quotes: Some "good" news for once.

The other use of good was just quoting the article title.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some good news for once. Kind of. According to BLS, "the total pharmacist employment figure is projected to grow by almost 18,000 jobs by 2026." Granted, newer schools popping up will pump out more pharmacists than that, but it's a start - much better than prior forecasts of decreases.

Drug Channels: 2026 Pharmacist Job Outlook Looks Good, Especially for Hospital Pharmacists

Is this a serious post? You do realize that the BLS also predicted that their would be a shortage of pharmacists in 2016 due to the aging population of baby boomers?

Reactions: 10 users
This reads like more BS pharmacy propaganda about how emerging jobs will save us all.

Reactions: 6 users
Wouldn't more jobs = less pay?

Reactions: 1 users
Is this a serious post? You do realize that the BLS also predicted that their would be a shortage of pharmacists in 2016 due to the aging population of baby boomers?

I know, they're often wrong. And just a couple years ago they predicted a decrease in retail. But if they happen to be right, this should be welcome news. I'm not saying take it at face value, but it may be helpful as directional data (especially the forecasts broken down by dispensing format).

Within 8 years we'll have 18,000 more pharmacist jobs? Pharmacy schools graduate about 16000 new pharmacists per year. I don't have a good idea of how many pharmacists leave the pharmacy job market per year (retire/die/switch careers) and how many current vacancies there are, but 18000+ new positions over the course of 8 years doesn't actually seem that promising considering the amount of new supply of pharmacists per year and the current saturation in most parts of the country. It's more reassuring than a decline in jobs, I'll give you that.

In other news, a number of reputable, well-established pharmacy schools are extending their application deadlines... Perhaps the pharmacy school bubble is finally going to pop?

Reactions: 12 users
What good is having more jobs if there are perhaps 6-10 times more applicants for each job than it has been in the past?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Nail on the head from giga

Well, at least this time it has the potential to be correct about the Boomers; by 2026, the eldest Boomers will be 80 years old and might finally be ready to retire.

Within 8 years we'll have 18,000 more pharmacist jobs? Pharmacy schools graduate about 16000 new pharmacists per year. I don't have a good idea of how many pharmacists leave the pharmacy job market per year (retire/die/switch careers) and how many current vacancies there are, but 18000+ new positions over the course of 8 years doesn't actually seem that promising considering the amount of new supply of pharmacists per year and the current saturation in most parts of the country. It's more reassuring than a decline in jobs, I'll give you that.

In other news, a number of reputable, well-established pharmacy schools are extending their application deadlines... Perhaps the pharmacy school bubble is finally going to pop?

Now that is good news.

Members don't see this ad :)

Economists can't tell you what the stock market will be in 8 minutes, they can't predict what the job market will be in 8 years. Pharmacy companies see labor as necessary evil. Pharmacist don't generate money. As companies merge, there will be pharmacy layoffs.

Medication use and an aging boomer population will put increased demand on the health system, including a demand for pharmacists. What needs to happen is a healthy balance between the influx of new pharmacy grads and job growth/supply. Currently, I think there are too many grads. Even if 18,000 jobs open up that won't keep pace with all the new schools pumping out PharmDs. Some urban markets are totally saturated at this point.

This reads like more BS pharmacy propaganda about how emerging jobs will save us all.

I have a friend who is a counselor at the local community college. She told me about "these new changes where pharmacists go on rounds with doctors and tell them what to prescribe." A student told her about this amazing program pharmacists of the future will be practicing called MTM - And that pharmacists actually have a doctorate!

I shook my head and said I was fed this line back in the 80's.

Reactions: 5 users
i wonder how much long higher education can continue to milk 17-18 year old kids of their 150k+ student loans when they decide to pursue pharmacy and find out that they can't find a job after 6 years. will people really still be going to pharmacy school in the years 2020 and onward? man, i feel so sorry for these children

Reactions: 1 user
i wonder how much long higher education can continue to milk 17-18 year old kids of their 150k+ student loans when they decide to pursue pharmacy and find out that they can't find a job after 6 years. will people really still be going to pharmacy school in the years 2020 and onward? man, i feel so sorry for these children

As long as they can take out deferred loans for pharmacy school, yes. As long as it's easier to kick the can down the road by taking out loans than it is to find a job to pay your bills, people (especially young people) are going to continue kicking the can.

Pharmacy has all the appeal of being an auditor or accountant. At least with law school kids can dream about opening their own practice and hitting it big on a lawsuit or becoming a politician. With pharmacy there is no remotely plausible story you can try to concoct where you end up with lots of riches. If or when the job market collapses applications will absolutely crater and schools will start closing.

Pharmacy has all the appeal of being an auditor or accountant. At least with law school kids can dream about opening their own practice and hitting it big on a lawsuit or becoming a politician. With pharmacy there is no remotely plausible story you can try to concoct where you end up with lots of riches. If or when the job market collapses applications will absolutely crater and schools will start closing.

Yep this.

Definitely accounting. If the average pharmacist made $60k-$80k like an accountant we wouldn't have had this pharmacy education boom. You can't blame 18 year olds for wanting to make six-figures after 6 years of school. You really can't.

You can always dream up a glamorous lawyer career. A rich med-mal lawyer. Being a DA putting criminals behind bars. There will always be rich lawyers. It's a definite lottery ticket type of career. But every year, forever and ever, future lawyer millionaires are minted on graduation day.

I have a friend who is a counselor at the local community college. She told me about "these new changes where pharmacists go on rounds with doctors and tell them what to prescribe." A student told her about this amazing program pharmacists of the future will be practicing called MTM - And that pharmacists actually have a doctorate!

I shook my head and said I was fed this line back in the 80's.

My how things have changed (sarcasm). We sadly believed the line. Any day now, H.R. 592/S. 109.

Joking aside, even if H.R. 592/S. 109 were to pass, our healthcare system would not be ready for it (according to our Dean). What can we do about the joblessness crisis as pharmacists other than recite "Game of Thrones" memes: "Winter has come," etcetera in addition to the dog-in-the-fire memes my colleagues alluded to during their schooling: "Everything is fine."? The latter is a coping mechanism and the former is just the truth rearranged to fit our profession's current status.

Also, just inquiring, what can we qualify for with a PharmD that does not allow us to practice pharmacy but still hold a career together and pay those loans? I am open to suggestions. The 2017 NAPLEX and MPJE statistics are already out: Out of 18,189 total NAPLEX administrations with 14,087 people being first-time test takers, 81.96% of people passed. For the MPJE for the chosen states: 8,864 first-time test takers passed the exam (85.2%). Of all the MPJE administrations (32,559), 79.78% passed.

Nappa (Student): "Vegeta. What do the NABP statistics say about the number of people who passed the MPJE in 2017?"

Vegeta (Preceptor): "It's under 9,000! Ugh! It's been like that for 3 years, Nappa. It...gives me something to think about."

Nappa: "NOOOO! Vegetaaaaaa!"

Another meme to fit the rest I guess.

Last edited:
I love the articles that quote the BLS. I read the BLS monograph on Pharmacist back in the late 90's not just to get the outlook but also a job description. At that time it predicted average job growth, this is when the pharmacist market was booming.

Its got to get dire in pharmacy for the turn around to occur- maybe 10% unemployment or higher.

I love the articles that quote the BLS. I read the BLS monograph on Pharmacist back in the late 90's not just to get the outlook but also a job description. At that time it predicted average job growth, this is when the pharmacist market was booming.

Its got to get dire in pharmacy for the turn around to occur- maybe 10% unemployment or higher.

For our pharmacy school in Florida, the employment rate for graduates in a pharmacy was 48%. The percentage does not state the individual’s role within the pharmacy. Furthermore: forty point seven (40.7%) percent earned positions outside of pharmacy, 20.35% of graduates earned residencies, and 30.9% are lost to follow up. The numbers do not add up to 100%; they add up to 139.95%. I am wondering how other schools report their data.

If this reporting practice is true for all pharmacy schools, then things are certainly dire. I believe it does not apply to all pharmacy schools as some are now reporting their salary figures and employment statistics.

Disclaimer: The school changed its stats to fit 100%, but 8 months after I already posted them. Hilarious!

Last edited:
My how things have changed (sarcasm). We sadly believed the line. Any day now, H.R. 592/S. 109.

Joking aside, even if H.R. 592/S. 109 were to pass, our healthcare system would not be ready for it (according to our Dean). What can we do about the joblessness crisis as pharmacists other than recite "Game of Thrones" memes: "Winter has come," etcetera in addition to the dog-in-the-fire memes my colleagues alluded to during their schooling: "Everything is fine."? The latter is a coping mechanism and the former is just the truth rearranged to fit our profession's current status.

Also, just inquiring, what can we qualify for with a PharmD that does not allow us to practice pharmacy but still hold a career together and pay those loans? I am open to suggestions. The 2017 NAPLEX and MPJE statistics are already out: Out of 18189 total NAPLEX administrations with 14087 people being first-time test takers, 81.96% of people passed. For the MPJE for the chosen states: 8864 first-time test takers passed the exam (85.2%). Of all the MPJE administrations (32559), 79.78% passed.

Nappa (Student): "Vegeta. What do the NABP statistics say about the number of people who passed the MPJE in 2017?"

Vegeta (Preceptor): "It's under 9,000! Ugh! It's been like that for 3 years, Nappa. It...gives me something to think about."

Nappa: "NOOOO! Vegetaaaaaa!"

Another meme to fit the rest I guess.
There is a conflict of interest between working pharmacist and pharmacy schools. Pharmacy schools want to get as many students as they can, but each pharmacy grad cheapens the value of the pharmacy profession.

We are already at the point where schools are creating pipelines to bring in students to the programs to fill as many seats as possible... I do not know how sustainable this is, but undergraduates tend to be naive & vulnerable - especially when their parents are only familiar with the success of pharmacists at the turn of the century.

Reactions: 4 users
There is a conflict of interest between working pharmacist and pharmacy schools. Pharmacy schools want to get as many students as they can, but each pharmacy grad cheapens the value of the pharmacy profession.

When you say conflict of interest, do you mean incompatible aims of both working pharmacists and pharmacy schools or personal benefit made in an official capacity on either end?

Both reasons fit the definition and the situation.

Last edited:
We are already at the point where schools are creating pipelines to bring in students to the programs to fill as many seats as possible... I do not know how sustainable this is, but undergraduates tend to be naive & vulnerable - especially when their parents are only familiar with the success of pharmacists at the turn of the century.

They can try to increase recruitment through whatever means they have but it doesn't matter if 30 to 50% of their students graduate unemployed. Every unemployed pharmacist they graduate does far more damage to their recruitment efforts than any 'pipeline' program can mitigate. Have you noticed that the majority of pharmacy schools have extended application deadlines to June 1st for this year? You could apply to most pharmacy schools right now and be accepted for a program that starts in 2 months. They're getting very desperate.

They can try to increase recruitment through whatever means they have but it doesn't matter if 30 to 50% of their students graduate unemployed. Every unemployed pharmacist they graduate does far more damage to their recruitment efforts than any 'pipeline' program can mitigate. Have you noticed that the majority of pharmacy schools have extended application deadlines to June 1st for this year? You could apply to most pharmacy schools right now and be accepted for a program that starts in 2 months. They're getting very desperate.

According to a faculty member, the deadline extension happened during our pharmacy school's 2017-2018 application period. The application deadline extended from March 1, 2018 to May 1, 2018. For our pre-pharmacy students in need of data, the sources for those deadlines are posted for comparison.

Sources:
1. Deadlines – PharmCAS
2. Deadlines | USF Health

Remember to ask lots of questions. One that comes to my mind is this: why did the discrepancy occur for us? It is ambiguous to tell how much desperation went into that decision.

Last edited:

Even then, there will always be that population of students who will be in denial that will keep many of these school alive. "I have an uncle who's a pharmacist, I can get a job", "Pharmacists are just saying there's saturation, my friends' mom's boyfriend's third cousin got hired at CVS last week for 200K a year". I'm preaching to the choir here, we all know the type.

In 1992 people were saying, "Y2K is coming up, start saving water bottles."
In 2018 people are saying "Kroger just fired everyone hired within the last year and reduced current staff to 30 hours/week." There's a slight difference.

According to a faculty member, the deadline extension happened during our pharmacy school's 2017-2018 application period. The application deadline extended from March 1, 2018 to May 1, 2018. For our pre-pharmacy students in need of data, the sources for those deadlines are posted for comparison.

Sources:
1. Deadlines – PharmCAS
2. Deadlines | USF Health

Remember to ask lots of questions. One that comes to my mind is this: why did the discrepancy occur for us? It is ambiguous to tell how much desperation went into that decision.
Christ, the minimum admission GPA is only 2.75 and that's just "preferred"?

Interesting that from 2015 to 2018 the # of graduates working in pharmacy increased for this school.

Gainful Employment Class of 2015 Class of 2016 Class of 2017
Employment within the profession of pharmacy 30.60% 40.70% 48.00%

Christ, the minimum admission GPA is only 2.75 and that's just "preferred"?

Interesting that from 2015 to 2018 the # of graduates working in pharmacy increased for this school.

Gainful Employment Class of 2015 Class of 2016 Class of 2017
Employment within the profession of pharmacy 30.60% 40.70% 48.00%

It is also interesting that the data says "working in a pharmacy." It does not say whether the graduate is a technician, a pharmacist, a delivery driver or something else; the role is not stated within pharmacy. The reporting is ambiguous. What I am not sure of is the intention behind the reporting. I am also not too sure about this either:

Employment outside the profession of pharmacy 0.00% (2015) 0.00% (2016) 40.70% (2017).
Post-graduate education or residency training 34.70% (2015) 25.93% (2016) 20.35% (2017).
Other/ lost to follow-up: 34.70% (2015) 33.30% (2016) 30.90% (2017).

Purdue University School of Pharmacy reports their employment data and why the data does not add up to 100%, encouraging transparency in reporting. The salary ranges for reported graduates are also mentioned for some areas of practice. For the lost to follow-up (LTFU) data for the University of South Florida College of Pharmacy, more students are responding about their actual job prospects as opposed to post-graduate "plans." Purdue University states why the students are lost to follow-up just like clinical trials do when enrolled patients with true informed consent do not show up for appointments: USFCOP does not. Maybe other schools should post employment statistics in a less transparent manner; we would have more faith in our profession and in our job prospects as pharmacists. USFCOP (Florida) intentionally breaks our faith in our profession then wonders why we are not employed yet or why we are underemployed.

Source: Pharmacy Job Placement | Purdue College of Pharmacy
University of California--Northstate: http://pharmacy.cnsu.edu/shareddocs/DisclosureDataTables.pdf

These are just a few.

Also to address the issue of low GPA, our school has strict behavioral standards that must be followed. That could contribute to the increase in numbers of students employed in A pharmacy, not as a pharmacist. The scare tactic is this: you could have a high pharmacy GPA and still not progress to the next year due to some spat with a preceptor, administrator, or faculty member. Some students were held back before, but mostly for academic issues: not passing PCOA, getting a lower-than-desired grade on a Capstone exam, or low GPA trend in a class or series of classes. All of those factors contribute towards consideration for overall graduation and to a conferred PharmD. Point being: you could fail an IPPE or APPE rotation, get As in everything else, and still fail the year. If I reported this data during school, I would not have graduated because my peers would have found out, confronted me about it, and possibly sent me to the Honor Committee or the school disciplinary committee (what we call ARPSACed).

Not many students agree with this policy as it is childish and it is. However, because USFCOP is the only place they got into, our peers have no power to discuss the issue much less address it: just like adult-children. As far as USFCOP is concerned the mentality is this: you should be privileged to have a PharmD, regardless of the job prospects you have or are eligible for (smiling Facebook photos, students holding up the Bulls sign, and lack of consideration for actual data notwithstanding).

I challenge the assertion and the data conducted the beginning of this thread: Does the job outlook of 2026 really look that good? Or is it relative to where you attended school or some other unknown factors? Please cite the source of your data so we all can benefit and peer review it.

Last edited:

Hey man, would you mind looking at my post on my page? I'm a current p2 looking for some advice.

Yep this.

Definitely accounting. If the average pharmacist made $60k-$80k like an accountant we wouldn't have had this pharmacy education boom. You can't blame 18 year olds for wanting to make six-figures after 6 years of school. You really can't.

You can always dream up a glamorous lawyer career. A rich med-mal lawyer. Being a DA putting criminals behind bars. There will always be rich lawyers. It's a definite lottery ticket type of career. But every year, forever and ever, future lawyer millionaires are minted on graduation day.

This is exactly my situation. Would you mind looking at my post on my page?

This is literally what happened to me. Would you mind reading the post on my page?

No. Everything else being equal, more jobs means more demand, which increases salary. Think of the retail expansion and what that did for salaries.

How Microsoft Lost Its Mojo: Steve Ballmer and Corporate America’s Most Spectacular Decline

So, I don't think a personnel shortage is necessary the issue anymore from this point on. If you think about the amount of work that you do today versus the work you did back when you graduated, even though you are paid more, you have to be more productive than you are paid. I actually think we are about to hit a ceiling on productivity rate increases especially within inpatient. The point of the talk I gave at Society of Automation in Pharmacy this year was that technology at this point is not a technical but a workflow or return on investment problem right now. Do you automate a 1200 Rx/week store? Do you get a TPN machine with a 6 per week scenario? When does the manpower to maintain equipment and coordinate with a usually hostile IT outweigh just hiring another person?

We are an ROI issue where we are going to have to be weighed against technology, techs, and temperament (ever hired an HR nightmare pharmacist? I've aged more from that than my worst day in practice). There are times where we beat technology, but overall, everyone is going to be squeezed for more and more productivity. There isn't going to be the chill, relaxing job at 50 unless you find a niche that does that (I have that, I think @Sparda29 and the home health has it for now, but who knows?). What's different now than even the Gen X'ers is that the Gen X'ers were not guaranteed lifetime employment, but they were guaranteed employment through old age. Gen Y (Millennial) is not guaranteed full-time employment through old age, but are reasonably guaranteed employment of some sort. Generation Z's incoming problem is that you are a productivity winner or you are going to be a prole loser. Possibly, that day has already come for pharmacy where the stack ranking style of employment claims the old and the marginal, and just working hard only guarantees you a job until the next employment evaluation cycle.

I also enjoyed the day off yesterday. Just found out what happened, and I'm satisfied about my old RxS's fate. Hope Cigna works out just like Walgreens...

It is not just about the number of new grads that enter the market every year. Time and time again, folks forget to mention the pharmacists with BS pharms that just won't retire. I think requiring every registered pharmacist to have a pharmD would be a way to help balance things out. A good number will finally retire. Others will step up to the plate and get that PharmD. It begs the question - if you can no longer pursue a Bachelor of Science in pharmacy, does it make sense for them to be able to continue practicing with a BS pharm?

It is not just about the number of new grads that enter the market every year. Time and time again, folks forget to mention the pharmacists with BS pharms that just won't retire. I think requiring every registered pharmacist to have a pharmD would be a way to help balance things out. A good number will finally retire. Others will step up to the plate and get that PharmD. It begs the question - if you can no longer pursue a Bachelor of Science in pharmacy, does it make sense for them to be able to continue practicing with a BS pharm?

I would be careful of what you wish for. What if the future generation decides that PGY1s and PGY2s are a requirement to continue practicing? Would we all be forced to take a paycut for 1 year to complete a PGY1, or somehow find a way to complete one on top of our full-time jobs for minimal or no pay?

Yes, they are grandfathered in...

I would be careful of what you wish for. What if the future generation decides that PGY1s and PGY2s are a requirement to continue practicing? Would we all be forced to take a paycut for 1 year to complete a PGY1, or somehow find a way to complete one on top of our full-time jobs for minimal or no pay?

This would be a total slap in the face. Why would i need a residency, on TOP of my doctorate to work in retail pharmacy? I've been either a tech or pharmacist since 1997.....i would have to decline and bow out....what am i saying? i'm probably going to do that anyway.

Until credential creep catches up to you, and 20 years into your career some clueless academic decides you can no longer practice. I wouldn't want to set that pprecedent. BSPharm people aren't your enemy.

Reactions: 4 users

This is impossibly short sighted. Like what everyone else is saying, remember these words 20 years from now when someone makes the same argument about you...

Well, how much does it matter? Honestly, do you even use 5% of your academic training on a daily basis? I certainly did not, almost all of my actual practice habits came from interning or post-grad's school of writeups. I'm an advocate for a return to the BS Pharm as much of our practice honestly needs less classroom training. If you went where I think you went, I'd probably take Isetts, Larson, and Uden over most of the more recently trained pharmacists, and they are started as BS (Larson and Uden are converts, Isetts was in the original BCPS generation which was a much more serious exam than today).

Even in my current occupation which does require some unusual sets of knowledge, almost everything I do is a product of either studying for the SoA fellowship exams or stuff that I fell into due to circumstanes. The languages I program it, the mathematics/statistics I use, the SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) systems I oversee, school barely gave an introduction to most of it, and I certainly would not do things the way I learned them in the academic environment.