220s still good for Anesthesia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rocket777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS4 about start the whole application / interview process (ugh). I've gone through "Charting Outcomes in the Match" from Aug 2007. According to that, a 220 should put you in pretty good standing to get in.

Scores for those that got in: Med=220, 25%ile=208, 75%ile=232
Scores for those that didn't: Med=198, 25%ile=190, 75%ile=207

However, I keep hearing that the median score has gone up 10-15pts (e.g. median of 235) over the last 2 years. I can't really believe this is true, but it seems to be what last year's applicants were being told by residency progs.

Anyone have any real info on this, or is this just hysteria?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an MS4 about start the whole application / interview process (ugh). I've gone through "Charting Outcomes in the Match" from Aug 2007. According to that, a 220 should put you in pretty good standing to get in.

However, I keep hearing that the median score has gone up 10-15pts (e.g. median of 235) over the last 2 years. I can't really believe this is true, but it seems to be what last year's applicants were being told by residency progs.

Thanks!

Probably hysteria. You will get in somewhere with a score in the 220s...maybe not the most competitive programs unless you have outstanding grades/ECs/research/etc, but with a broad application and no major red flags elsewhere a score in the 220s is still just fine.

yes it is good enough....now go enjoy yourself!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
its not just about the scores...

programs use it to "brag" about their profile of applicants...keeps their ego inflated.

220s + US MD = Solid lock unless you're dead set on the elite programs. (Of course assuming no serious red flags)

Thanks!

You will be golden, especially if the bill passes ;)
The job market is saturated.

You will be golden, especially if the bill passes ;)
The job market is saturated.

you mean the health care bill? or the additional residencies bill? Are you predicting another 1995 fiasco?

Also will the bill even be passed in time for any of this to matter?