24 Unfilled EM Spots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaunita

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
24 Unfilled Em PG-1 Spots. No PG-2 spots open. 2% unfilled rate. check out nrmp.org, click on my reports for more info.

Members don't see this ad.

breakdown:

10 in the west (MLK?)
1 central
1 southern
12 northeast

Members don't see this ad :)
dethdude said:
that's how i figured it.

There could also be some in Utah since they are a new program??????

I sure wish somebody would be nice enough to post those open spots on here tomorrow. I know you will be busy, but if anybody gets a chance or if you know somebody it would be cool if you could copy and paste it here.

Good luck to those who scramble tomorrow.

sigep628 said:
There could also be some in Utah since they are a new program??????

I doubt it, dude. I interviewed there and thought it was sweet. Except for the "brand new" part I would have said maybe perfect, if there is such a thing. Everyone else I talked to that had been out there had a pretty positive impression.

not to deter too greatly from the topic, but does anyone have the most recent info on mlk? i heard they were closing then i heard there was a stay...so what's up? are they still taking residents or are they being sent elsewhere or what?

unk_fxn said:
I doubt it, dude. I interviewed there and thought it was sweet. Except for the "brand new" part I would have said maybe perfect, if there is such a thing. Everyone else I talked to that had been out there had a pretty positive impression.
I am sure you are right. I interviewed there and loved it also. I ranked them highly. I was just throwing the possiblity out there. I just hope everybody gets what they want.

Something I remember from last year:

almost every program that had a spot to scramble had multiple spots to scramble into. So, if there are 24 spots available, there are probably only 5 or so programs with openings (I bet all 10 spots out west are at MLK). One central is nebraska or Wash U. One souther is Baton Rouge. I don't know the east well enough to predict.

If you can make someone important make a personal call on your behalf, by all means call in your favors.

jen628 said:
not to deter too greatly from the topic, but does anyone have the most recent info on mlk? i heard they were closing then i heard there was a stay...so what's up? are they still taking residents or are they being sent elsewhere or what?

The only thing "closing" was the trauma center. The ED will still be there.

They need to shut the entire hospital down for a month, hire almost all new staff and start over.....

flighterdoc said:
The only thing "closing" was the trauma center. The ED will still be there.

They need to shut the entire hospital down for a month, hire almost all new staff and start over.....
Trauma is closed at MLK. That's not nearly the worst problem.

The current status last I heard is that they failed their JCAHO visit. Usually this means a hospital is no longer allowed to bill Medicaid/MediCal nor Medicare. This is essentially a death penalty for any hospital since one third of health care in the US is paid for through one of those two programs. Virtually the only covered patients MLK is likely to get are going to be Medicaid/MediCal, so their reliance on government money is even greater. The subsidy they receive from the county isn't nearly enough to keep the place open.

The CMS, which is responsible for administering Medicare and Medicaid, has issued what is essentially a stay of MLK's death penalty. The duration of it I don't know, but MLK must reform itself in that time or close its doors.

The county has hired an outside consulting firm to run and reform the hospital, as multiple attempts to reform the place from within over the past 10 years have failed miserably. My guess is that the county will find some way to keep the place open, even if it's to be in a much reduced role. Whether or not that involves keeping the residencies open is anybody's guess.

Those brave enough or desperate enough to match at Drew/King are rolling the dice until we know the outcome of their current turmoil.

Sessamoid said:
Those brave enough or desperate enough to match at Drew/King are rolling the dice until we know the outcome of their current turmoil.

when i was interviewing at USC/LAC, the pd there said that if the EM residency at MLK/Drew goes down the other LA county programs would try to find a way to absorb them. that was pretty nice to hear (even though i didn't apply to MLK).

thx for the info

So, if you assume those 10 unfilled programs in the west were MLK, and no one in their right mind would grab a spot there, then there are only 14 other unfilled spots out of 1188. This would give EM an unmatched % of 1.178.
2nd only to Ortho Surg.

Members don't see this ad :)
MasterintuBater said:
So, if you assume those 10 unfilled programs in the west were MLK, and no one in their right mind would grab a spot there, then there are only 14 other unfilled spots out of 1188. This would give EM an unmatched % of 1.178.
2nd only to Ortho Surg.
Wow!
Thanks for that reality slap. I gotta log out and do something about this nausea.

miami-j said:
I got a copy of the unfilled spot list. I hope it's no violation to share this. If so, I will remove it:

MLK had a quota of 14, with 9 unfilled.
Another CA program, Kern, seems to have 1 unfilled spot, but it's listed funny.
UIowa has 1 unfilled spot, out of 6 total.
SUNY Upstate has 3/10 unfilled, and Stony Brook has 4/10 unfilled.
In PA, St. Luke's Bethlehem has 5 out of 8 unfilled.
And at University of Puerto Rico, 1 spot (out of 10) is unfilled.

That adds up to 24. Good luck, people.

thanks for posting the list. it's an interesting list since except for MLK, none of the others are the "usual" suspects. and the 24 spots are a bit deceiving since it's only a handful of programs (which tends to be the case)

anyhow, good luck and enjoy thursday. just remember that the match is like magic --even if you don't get your top choice it tends to work out. most people end up fitting well at their program

The official list is posted on the general forum by Jattdoc if anyone is interested.

fuegofrio17 said:
The official list is posted on the general forum by Jattdoc if anyone is interested.

can yhou link?

The EM data begins on the third page of the sticky at the top of the general residency forum. The data for all openings in all specialties is contained in the thread.

Yeah. I saw. Is that really all of the unfiled EM spots? Not very many...

Due in part, no doubt, to the supercoolness of this forum.

absolutely. Who else can turn a EM sucks thread into a beer chicken/independent brew pub forum or a 'what to read as an intern' into which cooking magazine is better thread. :D

Damn, we gotta find *something* to disagree about.

roja said:
Yeah. I saw. Is that really all of the unfiled EM spots? Not very many...

Not many at all, but those numbers definitely add up. I guess they're counting Puerto Rico as the one open spot in the Southern programs? I never really thought of Puerto Rico as Southern, but I guess I can't really say it's in the West, Midwest, or Northeast either. ;)

MasterintuBater said:
2nd only to Ortho Surg.

Actually there were only 6 unfilled spots out of 1100 categorical General Surgery positions ~99.5% fill rate