25N, 3.91 GPA, EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jal06c

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Check out my MDapps. I just got my MCAT score. Thought I was going to do a lot better but so be it. I am leaning towards taking a year or two off, really strengthening my application, re-taking the MCAT obviously, and then applying when I'm ready.

However, my family says that I should not withdraw my application. It hasn't been verified yet (should be within a week or so), and I only submitted to one school. They suggest I apply to about 10 or 12 schools and see how it goes. My sister keeps saying that "for every person above the average there is one person below the average." Lol, so now I'm just wondering if I don't withdraw the application, do I have a decent shot at any schools?

My number one choice school would be University of Miami, but I'm pretty sure that is a HUGE reach now. I'd apply to all FL schools. Any thoughts/advice would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Because you're part of the underrepresented group, and because you have a great GPA, I'd say you still have a at some schools with a 25N. However, I'd still plan on retaking the MCAT. If I were you I'd apply to some lower tier schools and then keep up on the MCAT studies.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have some pretty strong extracurriculars, a very strong cGPA, and live in a state with a few forgiving allopathic med schools. Being URM may help, but regardless, I'd think you've got a shot anyway. As you are hispanic, I'd suggest you include UIllinois which has a strong mission to serve the hispanic community, regardless of the state you come from. I'm from Illinois and know people (non-URM) who've gotten in there with a cGPA of 25, high cGPAs, and great ECs.

Thanks guys. I think I am going to apply anyways and see how it goes ... since I went through the process of submitting my primary already. I have a Plan B already.

Just to make sure though, there is nothing negative about re-applying right? I mean, I understand if you don't do anything to strengthen you app, it will look bad. But in the case that I don't get in this year, if my MCAT score goes up and I add EC's, being a re-applicant won't negatively impact my application correct?

If you can't get that MCAT up then DO is your best friend. :)