26 ACT ok?

Jman2018

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will only having a 26 on my ACT ever come back to haunt me? Will anybody ask about it in the future or am i good? People in my school average about a 21 and our top is a 35, we have juniors getting 32's im a bit worried. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

once you're in college ACT don't matta

I got a 27 on the ACT and got a 35 on the MCAT, so really, it doesn't mean jack once you're in college

unless you want to get into a top college or shoot for some crazy scholarship, a 26 is fine imo

Yeah a 26 is an above average score that will get you into most colleges. Just do well in college and you will be fine for med school or whatever else you want to go for. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea my college only required me to have a 21 on my ACT. I scored a 19 and still got in....I later retook the test and got a 25 but if i can get into my college with just a 19 it proves ACT really doesnt matter that much

26 is pretty good, there are a lot of private universities that accept students with that score.

The average of ACT scores is 18-22 so your well above that, yes there are few students who get 30+ but not too many and that definitely doesn't guarantee a good spot in a good university, they might actually get accepted to a school who scored a 26.

It all depends on the overall app and how well your EC's stick out.

You have a pretty solid score. In Florida, a 28 on the ACT is required for Bright Futures in order to get the better scholarship. I just made it and I'm doing fine in college. SAT/ACT are just tests... and that's just about it.

26 is good.

You will get into most colleges you are looking to get into, plus you will probably get a good bit of scholarship money.

I made a 27 on my ACT and I don't have to pay a dime for college (except textbooks and living expenses)!

Plus, ACT doesn't mean anything after high school. It only matters for admission to college (which you will obviously be accepted), and $$$$

Asking if "26" is good is very trivial and arbitrary. What are your college goals? Do you have any programs/schools in mind? I think we'd be better able to assess your score if you told us what your post-high school plans are.

EDIT: Just saw this thread is ancient... OP probably already applied/enrolled at a college.

Didn't study = 26
Didn't study + energy drink = 29
Studied and slept well = 32

I applied to colleges with the 29 but got the 32 in time to get scholarships.

Once you're above a 23-24 it doesn't make much difference on getting in other than scholarships. Once your in, it doesn't matter.

Will only having a 26 on my ACT ever come back to haunt me? Will anybody ask about it in the future or am i good? People in my school average about a 21 and our top is a 35, we have juniors getting 32's im a bit worried. :eek:

Well it depends. As far as medical school, people with around 26 or less I have seen posting 30s on the MCAT many times. I think you are in good shape. However, if you can keep bumping your score up a few notches, a 30 at least at the school I went to offers big scholarship money. The ACT is all about practicing those types of questions, you could probably up your score a point or so each retake pretty easily. I kept upping my score a point each retake to a 30 without studying, I did take 2 ACT prep courses in high school though.

It won't cut it for top schools, but for normal schools it's fine.

I don't know what state you live in, but I think a 26 should be just about right for your state school. What I've been thinking lately is that all college undergrad classes are the same- all professors know their subject area well and will teach it to you well, give or take.

However, I do think that research plays a big factor into the college. I got a 34 on my ACT and was admitted to some of my top choices (Northwestern, JHU, BU Accelerated MD), and those colleges (I'm not sure about BU though) have an extremely strong research arm. This research arm is what will help you get into medical school later on.

In my state, the University of Michigan- Ann Arbor's average ACT scores range from a 28 to a 31. In your case, you would find it a tough challenge to apply. However, I have a close friend who got a 27 and was admitted. And I have five other friends (one ranked in the top ten at my school) get denied with 33 and 34s on their ACTs.

If you want to aim high, then get a higher ACT score. But at the same time, your extracurriculars must center around one or two things that you enjoy. Together with these two things and your grades and essays, will you be able to shoot for the more competitive colleges.

It is fine, but if you can score higher, why not take it one more time?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's more than enough to get into most undergraduate colleges! Unless you're shooting for a scholarship, I'd say that's a great score. Don't worry about it coming back to haunt you. Once you're in college, you're in. Grad schools won't look back at your ACT/SAT scores, just your undergrad, so just work hard in college and don't worry about the high school tests :)

The ACT's a joke, I was in a cold gym in winter, and I took it. I guessed on it all except reading and the science and got 24 in science, 23 in reading. The point is, anyone can get higher in these marks if they are good at time management and if the test wasn't timed.

It depends on what your goals are. If you worked your butt off and got a 26 than I would just accept it and move on, however if you feel you can easily do better I would retake it.

Your ACT score certainly won't haunt you past acceptance into college. Maybe some employers might want to know but its unlikely unless you are going for some reach internships like IB.

Medical schools don't give a rat's rear end about ACT scores. A 26 is actually pretty good. ( top 20% )

It took me months of hardcore studying to break that score. Be happy with it.

placement tests are a personal milestone.. it can get you in to your favorite school, scholarship etc. After that irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-N920P using SDN mobile app

It's not bad. Who the hell cares about high school. All those stupid tests are mostly about strategy. You get the strategies down you can get near perfect in less than a month. When it comes to the MCAT and DAT you actually have to know stuff. Albeit there are a few tricky things, a lot of it does come down to what you know.

placement tests are a personal milestone.. it can get you in to your favorite school, scholarship etc. After that irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-N920P using SDN mobile app
It's not bad. Who the hell cares about high school. All those stupid tests are mostly about strategy. You get the strategies down you can get near perfect in less than a month. When it comes to the MCAT and DAT you actually have to know stuff. Albeit there are a few tricky things, a lot of it does come down to what you know.

Don't necropost, this thread hasn't been posted on since 2013.

Moar ghost posts : O. Well, my parents thought my 2120 SAT was crap and a lot of my friends were disappointed they didn't get a 36 on the ACT or a 2300 on SAT lol. Much fun my hs life was. Then again, I literally gave 0 ****s it was fun in that sense.

I got a 27 ACT, 1780 SAT

got into UC Davis, UCSB, UCR, UCSC, UCSD,UCI
rejected from SLO and UCLA
didn't apply to Berkeley because too bad, and didn't apply to Merced because too good

Please realize this thread is almost 6 years old... a 26 on the ACT right now is not what it used to be.

It barely matters where you go to school unless it's an Ivy League and in some cases community college because then you have to do well in your last 2 years. Don't worry about it, just get into a college that suits you.