27/26 MCATS 3.66 cGPA 3.3 sGPA Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vermanatorx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So my MCAT scores are p-9 V-10 B- 8 (1st test) and p-7 V-9 B- 9 (2nd test). I have a cGPA of 3.66 and sGPA of 3.3. I've been doing research for the past year and half (out of college) and did volunteer work for about 3 months before I got my job in the lab. what are my chances of getting into a school? And if I have any chance what schools should I look into? I'm a resident of NY.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

So my MCAT scores are p-9 V-10 B- 8 (1st test) and p-7 V-9 B- 9 (2nd test). I have a cGPA of 3.66 and sGPA of 3.3. I've been doing research for the past year and half (out of college) and did volunteer work for about 3 months before I got my job in the lab. what are my chances of getting into a school? And if I have any chance what schools should I look into? I'm a resident of NY.

Thanks

Honestly, I think you have just about no chance for US MD acceptance this cycle. If time is an issue, you may want to consider osteopathic medicine - you are a great DO candidate.

If it has to be an MD, you would really need to bring that MCAT to at least a 29, to give yourself a shot at the least selective schools. That 7 in PS will get you screened at a large number of schools. Something in the 32-34 range would help compensate for that sGPA.

I wouldnt say you dont have a chance in an MD school. I previously got inverviews at two MD schools with an MCAT of PS11, VR 6, BS 8 and an undergraduate GPA 3.00 and Graduate (MS) GPA of 3.90. Granted I didnt get in, but did get to the interview stage. I had some very, very high ranking LORs and a ton of research/teaching experience from my graduate degree which I am sure are the main reason I got the interviews. I also wrote a couple letters of interest to both schools; but from what I have been told, if you get the interview, its all up to how well you can wooo your interviewers. So, if you can stack on some good EC's and get the admissions committee's attention, you might be able to atleast get to the interview stage and influence your chances with that.

But I would definately agree with checking out the DO programs.

As far as what other schools I would consider, try checking out any medical schools associated with your undergraduate school or if by chance you work in a location associated with a medical school. A lot of medical schools give preference to students that attended their undergraduate institution.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldnt say you dont have a chance in an MD school. I previously got inverviews at two MD schools with an MCAT of PS11, VR 6, BS 8 and an undergraduate GPA 3.00 and Graduate (MS) GPA of 3.90. Granted I didnt get in, but did get to the interview stage. I had some very, very high ranking LORs and a ton of research/teaching experience from my graduate degree which I am sure are the main reason I got the interviews. I also wrote a couple letters of interest to both schools; but from what I have been told, if you get the interview, its all up to how well you can wooo your interviewers. So, if you can stack on some good EC's and get the admissions committee's attention, you might be able to atleast get to the interview stage and influence your chances with that.

You had a graduate degree, and still didn't make it. I'm not sure how your story contradicts mine - it seems to prove me sort of right, doesn't it? :confused: Anyway, strong LORs and a ton of research also greatly help your app - not sure if OP has those either. From the interview, it is not exactly true that admission is yours to lose. The numbers never disappear, even if you make it to the interview stage.
[/QUOTE]

If you only have three months of clinical and community service experience, even if you lived in a state with a forgiving state school or applied DO, I think an acceptance would be unlikely. If I were you I`d consider retaking the MCAT after some months of study and perhaps a formal classroom prep course, while continuing to build up your ECs. Besides clinical experience and community service, don`t forget shadowing and leadership. The research and cGPA already look fine.