MD & DO WAMC: Non-trad, Career Changer, sGPA 3.66, cGPA 3.34, 509 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peorhcsj

Reaction score
- cGPA - 3.34, sGPA 3.66. I am taking 2 more 4 credit classes. I got an A in the first and with another A my sGPA should go up a wee bit.
- 509 MCAT 127/127/128/127
- VA resident
- White, Male
- Small Private institution. Nothing special. Majored in Mechanical Engineering Gradated in 2018
- Volunteer EMT - 500 Hours
Emergency Room Technician - 5000 Hours (Will be working full time until matriculation so add another 2k+ hours)
- No research experience as I didnt really have a chance to do so while working full time and taking classes.
- I put 30 hours of shadowing ER docs since I work with them every day. I also shadowed a PA/MD in primary care but didnt put this down on either application. I guess this will probably hurt me.
- Worked with refugee ministry in college. Helped run weekend activities for refugee kids in center of large city.
- Worked as an engineer for 3 years
- Eagle Scout
- I guess I dont know what to expect from the cycle. I feel like my stats are on the low end for MD schools but there isn't much else I can do for my GPA. I took all the classes except for biochem (A-) at a CC because I don't have the money for any sort of masters or graduate course work. Are there any other schools y'all can think of that would be good to apply to?

What would be the next steps if I don't get in this cycle? Retake the MCAT?

I guess the thing I've noticed with some of the DO schools is that some are very focused on primary care. I think my lack of shadowing in a primary care setting will probably be a detractor.

School List (MD)
FAU
Creighton
Drexel
Duke (they want 4 letters. Only have 3 at the moment also seems like a reach school lol)
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Emory
Florida International University
Michigan State
Nova Southeastern University
Ohio State
Pennsylvania State
The University of Toledo
Tulane
University of Central Florida
University of Colorado
University of Florida
University of Louisville
University of North Carolina (GPA and MCAT too low but they still want the secondary money)
University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville
University of Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth University
Virginia Tech Carilion
Wake Forest University
Washington University in St. Louis
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D.

DO
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine
A.T. Still University - Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona
Campbell University
Des Moines University
Kansas City University
University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine
Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine
Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine

(if my formatting is bad sorry)

Members don't see this ad.

Emory, Duke, UVA, WashU may be out of reach with your stats and no research or non-clinical volunteering. Check to see whether some of those state schools accept many OOS students.

Emory, Duke, UVA, WashU may be out of reach with your stats and no research or non-clinical volunteering. Check to see whether some of those state schools accept many OOS students.
After looking at the secondary essays for duke I think i'm just gonna skip doing Dukes. I'm in state for UVA and the secondary essays arent awful for it. Would you just leave Emory and WashU St Louis out?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
After looking at the secondary essays for duke I think i'm just gonna skip doing Dukes. I'm in state for UVA and the secondary essays arent awful for it. Would you just leave Emory and WashU St Louis out?
Totally up to you, but when you are looking at schools, in addition to mission fit, you should be looking at how many students like yourself (stats-wise, IS/OOS) they accept. I’d never say not to apply to your dream school, but if money is a concern, spend yours wisely by applying to schools at which you have a statistically better shot.

You could skip the secondaries for Emory, Duke, Washington University, U Virginia since they are unrealistic with your stats. You also have many state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. These are the schools on your list that are worth submitting secondaries for:
FAU
Creighton
Drexel
Pennsylvania State
Tulane
Wake Forest University
You could add these schools:
West Virginia
Carle Illinois (you fit their profile)
George Washington
Georgetown
Temple
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
TCU
NOVA MD
For DO school I suggest these:
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
WVSOM
CUSOM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
UIWSOM
ACOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
NOVA

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks Faha! I’ll definitely look though those schools and get them added. Do you think places like VCU and Wake or any MD school in general is a pipe dream? I realize that my writing will definitely play a role in this so this may not be an incredibly fair question.

How much of a role does CASPER play into the schools that want it? I got a 1st quartile score so…

UNC's website lists a 514 minimum for OOS applicants - not sure how hard and fast of a rule that is. FWIW the OOS 10th %ile MCAT on MSAR is a 514, so perhaps it is both a hard and fast rule.

- cGPA - 3.34, sGPA 3.66. I am taking 2 more 4 credit classes. I got an A in the first and with another A my sGPA should go up a wee bit.
- 509 MCAT 127/127/128/127
- VA resident
- White, Male
- Small Private institution. Nothing special. Majored in Mechanical Engineering Gradated in 2018
- Volunteer EMT - 500 Hours
Emergency Room Technician - 5000 Hours (Will be working full time until matriculation so add another 2k+ hours)
- No research experience as I didnt really have a chance to do so while working full time and taking classes.
- I put 30 hours of shadowing ER docs since I work with them every day. I also shadowed a PA/MD in primary care but didnt put this down on either application. I guess this will probably hurt me.
- Worked with refugee ministry in college. Helped run weekend activities for refugee kids in center of large city.
- Worked as an engineer for 3 years
- Eagle Scout
- I guess I dont know what to expect from the cycle. I feel like my stats are on the low end for MD schools but there isn't much else I can do for my GPA. I took all the classes except for biochem (A-) at a CC because I don't have the money for any sort of masters or graduate course work. Are there any other schools y'all can think of that would be good to apply to?

What would be the next steps if I don't get in this cycle? Retake the MCAT?

I guess the thing I've noticed with some of the DO schools is that some are very focused on primary care. I think my lack of shadowing in a primary care setting will probably be a detractor.

School List (MD)
FAU
Creighton
Drexel
Duke (they want 4 letters. Only have 3 at the moment also seems like a reach school lol)
Emory
Michigan State
Ohio State
Pennsylvania State
The University of Toledo
Tulane
University of Colorado
University of Florida
University of Louisville
University of North Carolina (GPA and MCAT too low but they still want the secondary money)
University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville
University of Virginia
Virginia Tech Carilion
Wake Forest University
Washington University in St. Louis

DO
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine
A.T. Still University - Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona
Campbell University
Des Moines University
Kansas City University
University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine
Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine
Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine

(if my formatting is bad sorry)
Have a look at Carle Illinois College of Medicine (engineering based COM) Home

UNC's website lists a 514 minimum for OOS applicants - not sure how hard and fast of a rule that is. FWIW the OOS 10th %ile MCAT on MSAR is a 514, so perhaps it is both a hard and fast rule.
Yeah, I saw that and decided to not do the secondary for them.

Also another question. TCU requires a stats class and genetics. I have not taken those yet. Is it worth it to submit the secondary for them and let them know my plan to complete those classes next semester? I can't take them this semester because of my schedule. How do schools typically handle outstanding pre-requisites?

Yeah, I saw that and decided to not do the secondary for them.

Also another question. TCU requires a stats class and genetics. I have not taken those yet. Is it worth it to submit the secondary for them and let them know my plan to complete those classes next semester? I can't take them this semester because of my schedule. How do schools typically handle outstanding pre-requisites?
If you listed them as in-progress on your primary application, great.

Every school will handle it differently, but chances are if you are a 3.8+ GPA student, you won't be flunking both of those classes.