27O 3.4 gpa Michigan Resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

softballchic168

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i am a Michigan Resident wanting to go to either DO or MD school in Michigan i got a 27 on the MCAT and have a 3.4 gpa....should i take the MCAT again i am planning on it but if i can get in somewhere i would rather avoid it. I have 2 1/2 years experience working at a major hospital doing research and floor work in infectious disease. I am graduating in 3 years so i don't know if that makes any difference either. Please let me know! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

With your stats, I think MD will be very tough. You def need to take the MCAT again, cause a 27 will not work. Your GPA is also on the low side for MD, but I think you have a pretty good chance with DO schools.

Graduating in three years won't excuse having an application that is less competitive than the average for schools you want to target. With your low GPA, I suggest you give consideration to an additional year of GPA repair before applying. Becoming more competitive for an in-state school and its lower tuition would be the obvious goal.

Besides your strong clinical experience and research, I hope you also have some formal physician shadowing, nonmedical community service, and maybe teaching and/or leadership to help make your application stronger. Solid ECs can help to trump lower stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know my gpa isn't the greatest but i do have other ECs i have worked at a homeless shelter for the past three years, gone on rounds and shadowed several doctors, volunteered at an elementary after school day care program, coached volleyball and am currently volunteering at a hospital on a patients floor where i am constantly in contact with them. I also have amazing letters of recommendation. Do medical schools look at letters of recommendation for primary applications?

I believe they do look at those in the primary application. The big problem i see is the MCAT like I said before. Also, are you planning on only applying to michigan schools? I think you will have a much better chance if you apply broadly and def include DO schools.

are there any MD schools or DO that you recommend out of state? I am definitely going to take the MCAT at the end of August i wish i could take it earlier but i have a huge summer load of classes in may and june. Also do you know if i apply June 1st and plan on taking the MCAT again will medical schools see that, even though i have previously taken it?

I am definitely going to take the MCAT at the end of August i wish i could take it earlier but i have a huge summer load of classes in may and june. Also do you know if i apply June 1st and plan on taking the MCAT again will medical schools see that, even though i have previously taken it?
The end of August is really late for a retake.
You can designate on AMCAS that you have a future MCAT test date and schools will essentially hold your application until they get your new score. If you submit June 1, AMCAS will verify all of your coursework. But the problem is that they won't be able to get your score until the end of September, which is very late.
I wouldn't recommend doing this for MD schools, especially with a lower GPA. If you want to get in somewhere this cycle, then DO is your best option. If you really want MD, I would wait until next cycle to significantly increase your chances and to give yourself some time for GPA repair.

I know august is late but i just don't see me being able to take it any sooner than that and be completely prepared. Also i can't gpa repair next year because i already have a job that i have secured working on a clinical trial at the hospital i have been working at and volunteering at for the last three years. Thank you for you honest opinions.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what DO schools to apply to out of state (my instate one is MSUCOM) ?

Does anyone have any suggestions of what DO schools to apply to out of state (my instate one is MSUCOM) ?
I would apply to all of them except the ones with regional bias like UNE, PCOM, and a few others that slip my mind.

So you think i have a good chance with all my EC's to get into DO schools?

So you think i have a good chance with all my EC's to get into DO schools?
They are on the weaker side. If this is all you got, apply. I think some non-medical community service would have been great. Maybe some tutoring too.

I don't know if you say my later post but i have worked at a shelter week for the homeless for the past three years, was a day care leader for a year at an elementary school and have coached volleyball for young girls. On top of all of my hospital volunteering and shadowing

I don't know if you say my later post but i have worked at a shelter week for the homeless for the past three years, was a day care leader for a year at an elementary school and have coached volleyball for young girls. On top of all of my hospital volunteering and shadowing
Oh, I'm sorry for not catching that. You should be golden then.