WAMC 3.4 gpa 527 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hijoules

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school is certainly top-heavy, I don't really know how to apply because of my pretty consistent low gpa.
State of residence: GA

URM: Y

Major: Math, minor in pre-med

GPA: 3.4/3.1 (most of my poor grades are in chemistry lol, do have decent upward trend in my senior year, last semester I only got one B, including A in biochem and am hoping to match/improve that this semester).

MCAT: 527

Research Experience:

• 3 years in lab (2000 hrs)
  • 1 REU, and 1 paid fellowship
  • 2 posters, 3 oral talks (one award at national conference)
  • possible patent, no pubs
Clinical:

• 200 hrs volunteer at hospice
  • 500 hrs scribe
Non clinical:

• 300 hrs with leadership position on community service org focused on the unhoused
  • 50 hrs for soup kitchens, gardens, parks
Extracurriculars: research mentor, TA, tutor, founder of a group (not chartered), member of other clubs

Employment (not including previously listed): teaching leader, student assistant

Awards: award within my major for my research, award for academic excellence within URMs at my school, several outside scholarships that funded my undergrad

Current school list: MD:

• MCG, Morehouse, Emory, Mercer (IS)
  • UAB
  • U Miami
  • USF
  • FIU
  • Nova southeastern
  • Mount Sinai ( Icahn)
  • Columbia lol
  • Cornell lol
  • Albert Einstein
  • NYU (it’s free! Lol)
  • Kaiser (above)
  • UCLA
  • Stanford
  • UCSF
  • Virginia Tech
  • VCU
  • Texas A&M
  • UT Southwestern (no ties)
  • Meharry
  • Vanderbilt
  • Howard
  • Jefferson
  • Tufts
  • Case,
  • Ohio
  • Michigan
DO: PCOM (IS)

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of research. Why not MD/PhD? How would you see research fitting into your future? I need more details for mission fit.
I initially wanted to do MD/PhD but I have decided to apply only MD because of my low gpa + the length of training is not something I have been able to come to terms with lol. I plan on having an academic career that looks preferably like bench or Translational research along with teaching and clinic. I have seen that with enough research training then it’s possible for me to become a PI (?)