28 year old seeking post-bacc advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted917484

Hi Everyone!

I'm a 28 year old Sales Exec for a tech startup in NYC and after much deliberation have decided to change my career and pursue medicine. My undergraduate cGPA was a 3.0 and any science courses I took were in 2008-2009. I've began the process of becoming a local EMT volunteer and seeking volunteer work at local hospitals in the NYC/NJ area. I also grew up working in a neurosurgical office alongside the doctors to help with patient paperwork and scheduling.

I am looking into career-changer post-bacc programs with Temple being my #1 choice. I'm hoping to finish my post-bacc, enroll is Army's HSPS program, and have that cover my med school costs. Many of my friends took the same route!

I'm hoping folks in individual situations could provide some insight around their career-change post-bacc application experiences and other feedback as to schools and overall competitiveness to be considered as I begin these application processes.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
A post-bacc with linkages is probably the best way to go since getting into med school will be a little easier, but it is very expensive. They're also very competitive. An alternative is to do a DIY post-bacc and take some of your prereqs at a CC to save money.

The EMT volunteering is good. I wouldn't waste my time volunteering at local hospitals unless you can do something really unique there. You should probably shadow a doc or two for around 30-50 hours.

Reactions: 1 user
Change your profile pic man, lots of creepers on this site.

3.0 - MD will be uphill. Median matriculant has a 3.7. Getting all A's in your postbac, a good MCAT, 200+ hours of volunteering, 50+ hours of shadowing will leave you on course for a solid DO program.

Members don't see this ad :)
A post-bacc with linkages is probably the best way...but it is very expensive. They're also very competitive. An alternative is to do a DIY post-bacc and take some of your prereqs at a CC to save money.

The EMT volunteering is good. I wouldn't waste my time volunteering at local hospitals unless you can do something really unique there. You should probably shadow a doc or two for around 30-50 hours.
pretty darn good advice, all I can add is do well! in your cc prereqs. Some things (like biochem) will probably have to be done at a 4-year college on an a la carte basis. But you can definitely get into med school this route and goodness knows there are numerous options, MD and DO, in the NY/NJ/CT area

Change your profile pic man, lots of creepers on this site.

3.0 - MD will be uphill. Median matriculant has a 3.7. Getting all A's in your postbac, a good MCAT, 200+ hours of volunteering, 50+ hours of shadowing will leave you on course for a solid DO program.

This is all really helpful! My undergrad GPA is definitely a burden, though I can’t believe that it makes this impossible. My priorities during my undergrad didn’t always put academics first . I’m working on my personal statement and have 4 professional references. My volunteer work certainly needs to be increased, which I’m aggressively seeking out and inquiring.

The primary concern with the DIY approach is that I often thrive much better in a more structured environment. Granted, I would certainly consider this if I can’t manage to attend a formal post-bacc program (which would be a shame).

Does anyone have advice on any post-bacc program in the NJ/NY/CT area that has a solid reputation while not being SO competitive to where my application with a 3.0 doesn’t stand a chance?

I’ve done a ton of research on schools, but it’s always helpful gathering input that isn’t straight from a schools website HA.

This is all really helpful! My undergrad GPA is definitely a burden, though I can’t believe that it makes this impossible. My priorities during my undergrad didn’t always put academics first . I’m working on my personal statement and have 4 professional references. My volunteer work certainly needs to be increased, which I’m aggressively seeking out and inquiring.

The primary concern with the DIY approach is that I often thrive much better in a more structured environment. Granted, I would certainly consider this if I can’t manage to attend a formal post-bacc program (which would be a shame).

Does anyone have advice on any post-bacc program in the NJ/NY/CT area that has a solid reputation while not being SO competitive to where my application with a 3.0 doesn’t stand a chance?

I’ve done a ton of research on schools, but it’s always helpful gathering input that isn’t straight from a schools website HA.

You're right, it doesn't make it impossible. Especially with the fact that you need to take a number of post bac classes. Before you begin this process, make sure you're okay with going DO. The odds are, if you get an acceptance, it will be DO.

I also came from sales and explored both formal and informal pb routes. I ended up choosing a DIY pb because it allowed me to keep working full time for an extra year. I actually ended up attending 4 different schools over 18 months in order to find all the classes I needed at times I could actually attend (travelled a ton for work). It worked out fine for me, but I can see how the structure of a post bac would have helped.

As for advice: stop worrying about your personal statement right now. You're a minimum of 1-3 years away from applying. In addition, you won't be able to use more than 1 or 2 of those references. Most schools have rules stating that 2 of your letters need to be from science faculty with another from a non-science faculty.

I also did a career change at 28 and decided to do a 1 year post bac program at a small liberal arts school. If it's one thing I certainly did not anticipate was the length of the pre - med journey. Structured post bac program that caters to non traditional students provides advantages such as small classes, common peers, committee letters, provides guidance and helps you submit all your transcripts/ documents all in one package. I definitely wouldn't have been able to get all my prereqs out of the way in one year if i didn't go into a post bac program and weighed that when deciding if I should continue working.

In regards to linkage, beware and read the fine print. When I was living in NYC, I considered the Columbia post bacc program and was accepted. It is VERY expensive, but I was so impressed with all the linkage opportunities...until I read the fine print. Many of the universities who offer linkages with Columbia’s post bacc program have a minimum uGPA requirement. If I remember correctly, most were above a 3.6 uGPA along with a 3.7+ post bacc. It’s not as desireable as it seems and is not an easy way in. If I were you, I would do a DIY program. Get in touch with a biology advisor at your state university and come up with a game plan. It’s no less structured than a formal post bacc and a lot cheaper. No one will be holding your hand through organic chemistry whether you take your classes with Columbia’s post bacc program or SUNY.

In regards to linkage, beware and read the fine print. When I was living in NYC, I considered the Columbia post bacc program and was accepted. It is VERY expensive, but I was so impressed with all the linkage opportunities...until I read the fine print. Many of the universities who offer linkages with Columbia’s post bacc program have a minimum uGPA requirement. If I remember correctly, most were above a 3.6 uGPA along with a 3.7+ post bacc. It’s not as desireable as it seems and is not an easy way in. If I were you, I would do a DIY program. Get in touch with a biology advisor at your state university and come up with a game plan. It’s no less structured than a formal post bacc and a lot cheaper. No one will be holding your hand through organic chemistry whether you take your classes with Columbia’s post bacc program or SUNY.

I agree. Columbia Post bac was insanely expensive, around 1500 a credit (bio with lecture with lab is 7 credits) when they accepted me. I've noticed schools like Fordham rolling out post bac programs. There's a lot of info on the post bac threads but generally the non traditional focused programs with linkages will prescreen you, unless you have a high GPA where they're confident you wont negatively impact their acceptance levels its definitely harder to get in. I went to Bennington which is a unlinked one year program in Vermont. It was 33k but the class size was around 14 students with 12 of us being non traditional, where was around 5 professors that we worked with and got to know really well. I tried to do a DIY when i was younger at Hunter College in NYC and it was a nightmare to get into classes (last in line) and would have taken at least 2 years cause it follows the traditional undergrad schedule (3500 a semester).

Members don't see this ad :)
I would look into Harvard Extension School -- it's well-known and affordable. It offers both a "full package" option (dean's letter, advising, etc.) and an "a la carte" option (take whatever class you want whenever you want). Most classes are in the evening or on Saturdays, so people can work at the same time if they choose to do so. Overall quality of education seems fairly good. The people I know who did some/all of their post-bacc there matriculated at UChicago, Harvard, Rochester, UNLV, Yale, Rosalind Franklin, and UCSF.

I agree. Columbia Post bac was insanely expensive, around 1500 a credit (bio with lecture with lab is 7 credits) when they accepted me. I've noticed schools like Fordham rolling out post bac programs. There's a lot of info on the post bac threads but generally the non traditional focused programs with linkages will prescreen you, unless you have a high GPA where they're confident you wont negatively impact their acceptance levels its definitely harder to get in. I went to Bennington which is a unlinked one year program in Vermont. It was 33k but the class size was around 14 students with 12 of us being non traditional, where was around 5 professors that we worked with and got to know really well. I tried to do a DIY when i was younger at Hunter College in NYC and it was a nightmare to get into classes (last in line) and would have taken at least 2 years cause it follows the traditional undergrad schedule (3500 a semester).
If you are going to do a DIY, I would suggest enrolling as a second degree seeking student so you aren't last in priority to enroll

Reactions: 3 users
@Kr#36 - going D.O. is actually my ultimate goal. I have several friends that went the D.O. route and really enjoyed it. I will say that I'm prepared to work towards an M.D. program, because why not push yourself to over perform.

The issue I have going truly DIY, as in not a 2nd degree earning student, is the TRUE lack of structure. I've been highly considering the UNCG Greensboro post-bacc track. Though it is more informal, I will have direct advisor support and be enrolled as a 2nd degree earning student. While linkages would be re-assuring, my thoughts are that I can work my butt off and have my academics/MCAT speak for themselves. I've also been working hard to save and financially support this process :).

Does anyone have thoughts/feedback around the UNCG program, or, other programs that would be worth considering?

Thank for the constructive feedback!

I’m not sure what is so intimidating about a DIY?

I did a DIY successfully while working a high-stress job full time supporting myself...

Where there’s a will, there’s a way!

A linkage program does sound best, but I’d caution that if such a program puts too much stress financially or in other aspects of your life it may not be worth it.

I
@Kr#36 -
The issue I have going truly DIY, as in not a 2nd degree earning student, is the TRUE lack of structure. I've been highly considering the UNCG Greensboro post-bacc track. Though it is more informal, I will have direct advisor support and be enrolled as a 2nd degree e!
in
I’m not sure what is so intimidating about a DIY?

I did a DIY successfully while working a high-stress job full time supporting myself...

Where there’s a will, there’s a way!

A linkage program does sound best, but I’d caution that if such a program puts too much stress financially or in other aspects of your life it may not be worth it.
I second this. If you need your hand held to get to medical school, maybe you need to rethink your priorities. DIY post baccs are the same as being an undergraduate university student. You go to class and meet with an advisor the same way you would in a DIY. How much are you wanting to be babysat? Sign up for your classes and get your work done and apply.

Take pre-reqs, score well, build up ECs, and then smash the MCAT. That's literally all you can. Not doing one significantly impacts your chances, and not in a good way.

Best of luck to you.

At 28 I think I would do pharmacy school. Three years of school and 120k a year working in any town you want to be in. 40 hours a week too. Med school at 28 is about like starting a job at Goldman's at 28 and not leaving until your 36. Plus it's easier to get in school.

I

in

I second this. If you need your hand held to get to medical school, maybe you need to rethink your priorities. DIY post baccs are the same as being an undergraduate university student. You go to class and meet with an advisor the same way you would in a DIY. How much are you wanting to be babysat? Sign up for your classes and get your work done and apply.

This is good food for thought! By no means am I discounting the DIY approach, because it's obviously a viable and successful route for many. KR#36 is a great example of that.

At 28 I think I would do pharmacy school. Three years of school and 120k a year working in any town you want to be in. 40 hours a week too. Med school at 28 is about like starting a job at Goldman's at 28 and not leaving until your 36. Plus it's easier to get in school.

There are going to be many people here who strongly disagree with you. I will be starting medical school at 28 if everything goes as planned. I’d rather have a MD or DO at 32 than not. If I’m going to hit 32 regardless, please let me be doing what I want.

Reactions: 5 users
There are going to be many people here who strongly disagree with you. I will be starting medical school at 28 if everything goes as planned. I’d rather have a MD or DO at 32 than not. If I’m going to hit 32 regardless, please let me be doing what I want.

@DarklingThrush There certainly are a fair share of negative/harsh responses on here, but all opinions are welcome. We certainly share the same positive mentality. Congrats on medical school! Where will you be attending and why did you choose that particular school?

@DarklingThrush There certainly are a fair share of negative/harsh responses on here, but all opinions are welcome. We certainly share the same positive mentality. Congrats on medical school! Where will you be attending and why did you choose that particular school?

I am currently 26, and will be applying when I’m 27, therefore matriculating at age 28! Still on the journey to get there

Hi Everyone!

I'm a 28 year old Sales Exec for a tech startup in NYC and after much deliberation have decided to change my career and pursue medicine. My undergraduate cGPA was a 3.0 and any science courses I took were in 2008-2009. I've began the process of becoming a local EMT volunteer and seeking volunteer work at local hospitals in the NYC/NJ area. I also grew up working in a neurosurgical office alongside the doctors to help with patient paperwork and scheduling.

I am looking into career-changer post-bacc programs with Temple being my #1 choice. I'm hoping to finish my post-bacc, enroll is Army's HSPS program, and have that cover my med school costs. Many of my friends took the same route!

I'm hoping folks in individual situations could provide some insight around their career-change post-bacc application experiences and other feedback as to schools and overall competitiveness to be considered as I begin these application processes.

Thank you so much!

i recommend just enrolling in the classes you need through the university extension program. You don't need to go through a formal post-bacc program. Maintain contact with your professors, they'll be more then happy to write you a letter of recommendation. Committee letter is so saturated and generic IMHO.

OP, I’m in the middle of going back to school in a DIY post bac. Yes it’s challenging in the sense that I’m “on my own” with things, but I constantly use resources such as SDN to stay on track. As you start to take prereqs you’ll hopefully meet other premed friends, and you can use them as a network of support. I’ve even met a couple other nontrads in classes with similar stories to mine, and we help strategize for the future together.

So I guess what I’m trying to say is that you will find resources and people that will be helpful once you dive in and get started. It’s a bit intimidating at first but once the ball is rolling it gets better.

Reactions: 2 users
OP, I’m in the middle of going back to school in a DIY post bac. Yes it’s challenging in the sense that I’m “on my own” with things, but I constantly use resources such as SDN to stay on track. As you start to take prereqs you’ll hopefully meet other premed friends, and you can use them as a network of support. I’ve even met a couple other nontrads in classes with similar stories to mine, and we help strategize for the future together.

So I guess what I’m trying to say is that you will find resources and people that will be helpful once you dive in and get started. It’s a bit intimidating at first but once the ball is rolling it gets better.

Awesome to hear you've met some great people through DIY! Are you working full-time?

1) traditional path is four years for a pharmD not three. Only a few do a 3 yr program.

2) 120k a year: Not happening in a lot of areas and if so COL offsets this (especially with loans getting higher every year for people).

3) any town you want to be in: No...just no...saturation is real

4) 40 hours a week: a majority start as floaters and prn jobs. Hours are constantly getting cut and people constantly getting let go to hire new grads for cheap labor at 32 hours.

5) Easier to get in school: absolutely. Pharmacy mills exist with 250k+ loans for low hours. This has attributed to saturation

Ask many of the pre-pharmers: if they were smart enough academically many would strive to go the MD/DO (or) PA route. Not post and say “2.7 GPA what are my chances”

Last edited:
1) traditional path is four years for a pharmD not three. Only a few do a 3 yr program.

2) 120k a year: Not happening in a lot of areas and if so COL offsets this (especially with loans getting higher every year for people).

3) any town you want to be in: No...just no...saturation is real

4) 40 hours a week: a majority start as floaters and prn jobs. Hours are constantly getting cut and people constantly getting let go to hire new grads for cheap labor at 32 hours.

5) Easier to get in school: absolutely. Pharmacy mills exist with 250k+ loans for low hours. This has attributed to saturation

Ask many of the pre-pharmers: if they were smart enough academically many would strive to go the MD/DO (or) PA route. Not post and say “2.5 GPA what are my chances”

FYI: This poster is notorious for replying to threads and discouraging the OP by suggesting they go another route. He’s misinformed and dissuades OPs without actually answering any of their questions or providing worthwhile advice. He’s been told many times yet continues to post like this. I gave up trying to address and help the poster, so instead, advice OP to steer clear. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Awesome to hear you've met some great people through DIY! Are you working full-time?
I worked full time while taking night classes over the last year and after getting all A’s I felt ready to take the big leap. I’m quitting my job in two weeks and diving in full time for a year then will apply next summer. Scary but exciting!

Hi Everyone!

Thank you so much!

Don't know why people are talking that badly about your GPA because it was years ago and you clearly didn't have the mindset of becoming a doctor. Most Medical schools won't even factor much thought of your previous GPA because it was a decade ago. So focus on Post bacc pre reqs, MCAT, and ECs.