2ndary questions: Why do you want to go to X?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theothernguyen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there.

I have been debating over this and I was wondering what is the best way to approach this. To some truth, one may be applying to X simply to increase your chances of getting in, or you may really be interested in going there.

But if it is the case that it is simply to increase your chances, would you be frank and honest about it and find something about the school and say that you are interested in that? OR would you fully show complete interest even if you aren't really.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there.

I have been debating over this and I was wondering what is the best way to approach this. To some truth, one may be applying to X simply to increase your chances of getting in, or you may really be interested in going there.

But if it is the case that it is simply to increase your chances, would you be frank and honest about it and find something about the school and say that you are interested in that? OR would you fully show complete interest even if you aren't really.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

You'd be stupid to tell them the only reason you are interested in their school is because you want to increase your chances of gaining an offer of admission.

Think of something better please.

You'd be stupid to tell them the only reason you are interested in their school is because you want to increase your chances of gaining an offer of admission.

Think of something better please.

Hate to tell ya, but it's true. They're not going to waste their time with your app if you tell them this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Put yourself in the adcom's shoes. You have way more applicants than available spaces. Would you accept someone who makes it obvious that you are a safety school?

So basically, you what would you do. I am sure adcom would also know a tale from truth and that tell them that you are completely sold on going to their school. The next alternative is digging something up about the school that you might like and base everything off that.

So basically, you what would you do. I am sure adcom would also know a tale from truth and that tell them that you are completely sold on going to their school. The next alternative is digging something up about the school that you might like and base everything off that.

I think I'm a bit confused. Did you just answer your own question? :confused:

This might be an easier way of coming up with an answer. Could you see yourself going there? Are there any schools lower on your list? If so, what makes this one more interesting than the others?

I agree that making it sound like you are sold on going to their school when you aren't is a bad idea. Adcoms are smart enough to spot a phony. I think finding something you like about the school and talking about it is pretty much your only practical option. Still, they might be able to sense your lack of enthusiasm. That's the point of the question.