DO 3.0 cGPA and sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docemmettbrown

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I was wondering how bleak my chances are looking for osteopathic schools. I would really like to go to LMU-DCOM.

A little background to ECs and shadowing:
-I have worked 20-30 hours per week throughout undergrad
-70 hours shadowing MD; about to begin shadowing a DO
-Volunteered for my local Fire/Rescue organization for my county for ~3 years; received two letters of appreciation from the state for my dedication to protecting my county. I have patient experience with this.

I feel obligated to explain why my GPA is rather low. During my entire freshman year of college my parents were going through a rough divorce process. My dad had physically assaulted my mother and had threatened me. At this time my mom and I did not make enough money to move away from my father. Needless to say, I was very distracted my freshman year due to this fact.

My cGPA and sGPA are both at 3.0. I am currently a Junior and will be applying next summer/fall. I also plan to take the MCAT in March.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can take a gap year in order to bring up your gpa, I highly suggest it. If you could hit a 3.3 by the end of this academic school year though and perform at least decently on the mcat (28-30), I'd say you have a fair shot.

Reactions: 1 user
Strongly concur. Also, aceing MCAT will help too. You're not dead yet.

If you can take a gap year in order to bring up your gpa, I highly suggest it. If you could hit a 3.3 by the end of this academic school year though and perform at least decently on the mcat (28-30), I'd say you have a fair shot.

Reactions: 1 user