3.0 First Quarter Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markl21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new here. I want to get an idea regarding the status of my candidacy for medical school. I am a freshman at Stanford and, unfortunately, had a rough start this past quarter and earned a GPA of 3.0:

Chem 31X- B-
Math 21- B
CS106A- B-
MatSci 81N- A

I am currently working as a research assistant at the hospital in the department of urology and plan to publish by the end of the year/early next year, though probably not as first author and only in a mid-impact journal. I am additionally involved in other biomedical clubs on campus and competed and placed at ISEF in 2016 with an independent research project.

What I really want to know is whether these first quarter grades will negatively affect my chances of admission even if I accomplish what I want to do here both inside (4.0 throughout) and outside the classroom and what additional steps I need to take beyond the typical advice (study more, be more involved, etc.). Given the intense competition witnessed here, I feel as if I am behind and will not stand out once application season comes in 2020.

Any advice and/or tips would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.0 during your first semester ain't gonna help you, but you're far from doomed. You've got boatloads of time left, so kick it up a notch and get better grades from now on. DO NOT retake any of those courses you listed. Read this if you think you should retake a course: Simple rules for retaking courses.

Apart from that, the big things to hit are the following:
  • Clinical volunteering
  • Nonclinical volunteering
  • Shadowing
  • Research
You don't need to be doing all of those activities at the same time, but you do need to show dedication to them during your undergrad years. The first three are the biggest. Research is much less important than the others except at a few research-intense schools.

Note that clinical and nonclinical employment are both good and can be used on your AMCAS application, but neither demonstrates altruism. If you get your non-shadowing clinical time working as a CNA, for example, you need to do some good unpaid nonclinical volunteering work to demonstrate your altruistic commitment to serving others.

Also note that clinical volunteering is not the same thing as shadowing. Shadowing is done by following a practicing physician so you can see both the clinical as well as the nonclinical aspects of their day. You need to see the behind-the-scenes stuff along with the clinical medicine to determine whether this career path really is for you. I recommend shadowing someone in primary care (internal medicine, family medicine, or pediatrics) for at least 50% of your shadowing time.

Finally, get rid of this "application season is in 2020" mentality. Application season is whenever you're ready. Submitting a weak application to meet a self-imposed deadline is a lethal rookie mistake.

Last edited:
Hi all. I'm new here. I want to get an idea regarding the status of my candidacy for medical school. I am a freshman at Stanford and, unfortunately, had a rough start this past quarter and earned a GPA of 3.0:

What I really want to know is whether these first quarter grades will negatively affect my chances of admission even if I accomplish what I want to do here both inside (4.0 throughout) and outside the classroom and what additional steps I need to take beyond the typical advice (study more, be more involved, etc.). Given the intense competition witnessed here, I feel as if I am behind and will not stand out once application season comes in 2020.

:troll:

Members don't see this ad :)
wait, from what you have bolded how does that necessarily indicate he is a troll

if he is not planning on taking a gap year, he probably would be applying in the summer of 2020. although it is a silly post; OP one semester especially your first will not do anything to hurt you. also, it looks like you took 4 math/sciences - maybe don't do that.. there is no need

wait, from what you have bolded how does that necessarily indicate he is a troll

if he is not planning on taking a gap year, he probably would be applying in the summer of 2020. although it is a silly post; OP one semester especially your first will not do anything to hurt you. also, it looks like you took 4 math/sciences - maybe don't do that.. there is no need

Just the most ridiculous parts of their post

Reactions: 1 user