3.09 gpa 26 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

underdawg0911

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2.79 sGPA, 9P, 9V, 8B.

Currently finishing up a zoology undergrad degree at the University of Oklahoma. l consider myself "non-traditional" - I'm 26 yrs old, married, have 2 kids. I do have upwards of 5000 hrs of community/volunteer work. A full semester of shadowing an Orthopedic surgeon (MD). However, I have very limited "hands-on" experience, mainly because I am working 30+ hrs/week to support the family. It doesn't help that the majority of the local clinics are "full" of volunteers (I'm in a big college town), require some sort of certification that I lack, or end up being time conflicts with class/work. Anyway, I'm making excuses at this point. lol.

Here are the schools to which i've applied:

A.T. Still - AZ
A.T. Still - MO
AZCOM
Chicago COM
KCUMB
LECOM
OkState COM
Touro CA
Touro NV
Western U - OR
Western U - CA

Should I retake the MCAT? Should I bother applying to MD schools? Is there anything else I can do (besides getting better grades) to improve my chances? Are there any other schools I should add to this list? Anything else you could offer would be great too!

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

2.79 sGPA, 9P, 9V, 8B.

Currently finishing up a zoology undergrad degree at the University of Oklahoma. l consider myself "non-traditional" - I'm 26 yrs old, married, have 2 kids. I do have upwards of 5000 hrs of community/volunteer work. A full semester of shadowing an Orthopedic surgeon (MD). However, I have very limited "hands-on" experience, mainly because I am working 30+ hrs/week to support the family. It doesn't help that the majority of the local clinics are "full" of volunteers (I'm in a big college town), require some sort of certification that I lack, or end up being time conflicts with class/work. Anyway, I'm making excuses at this point. lol.

Here are the schools to which i've applied:

A.T. Still - AZ
A.T. Still - MO
AZCOM
Chicago COM
KCUMB
LECOM
OkState COM
Touro CA
Touro NV
Western U - OR
Western U - CA

Should I retake the MCAT? Should I bother applying to MD schools? Is there anything else I can do (besides getting better grades) to improve my chances? Are there any other schools I should add to this list? Anything else you could offer would be great too!

Thanks for your time!

Um, while I do not know a lot about DO schools, I'd say ur GPA isn't even that competitive for most DO's...the MCAT, on the other hand, is adequate. Applying to MD schools is a waste of money, since u are well below the 10% line for most, if not all. So focus your efforts on DO schools. IDK, maybe do a post-bac, anything to bring up that GPA?

The good thing is that my GPA has a serious upward trend, last semester i had one B and three A's. I am projecting that this semester I will have straight A's, and that's with Histology and Neurobiology. I am working a lot less hours now and changed jobs to one that is less stressful (hence, the upward trend).

if i have to resort to post-bac, what would be a good route to take?

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
Um, while I do not know a lot about DO schools, I'd say ur GPA isn't even that competitive for most DO's...the MCAT, on the other hand, is adequate. Applying to MD schools is a waste of money, since u are well below the 10% line for most, if not all. So focus your efforts on DO schools. IDK, maybe do a post-bac, anything to bring up that GPA?

+1. Consider retaking classes as well. It's a fast way to bump your GPA.

That sGPA will hold you back with any program. Retake a bunch of the science courses. Maybe consider retaking the MCAT as well.

Your sGPA is barely making the screening cuts at most DO schools... and a lot will screen you out below 3, even 3.25.