DO 3.2 GPA, 3.09 sGPA, 509 MCAT, WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RogueTrader

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I heard about this website from a friend and after reading through some of the other threads I was wondering if I could hear all of your opinions on where I should try to apply (or if I should apply) for the next cycle in June.
I graduated last May with a 3.2 GPA, 3.1 sGPA, and I took the MCAT last month and got a 509. I realize that my GPA will be my greatest obstacle, so I plan to take some post-bac science courses in the spring in order to raise it.

-I am a Florida resident
-I have 300 hours of volunteering at a children's hospital in a research lab
-I have about 50 hours of volunteering inside the hospital and interacting with patients
-I have about 40 hours shadowing a DO
-I don't think I am an URM (I am mixed race, but I mainly put down white on all my applications)
-I'm a first generation college student and I come from a low SES

For extracurricular activities, I was a varsity athlete through college until my Junior year, where I got extremely ill early on and had to leave for a semester, so I have about 5 W's from the fall semester. I tutored one semester in my senior year once a week for about two hours and I did research that year with an environmental science professor as well. I have a patent for an invention and I have made some mobile applications. Currently I am volunteering with a local extension program with a state university where I help residents and gardening clubs on proper practices for sustaining their landscape at their home, their water usage, and gardening. I have about 70 hours so far.

Right now I was planning on applying to my state schools, though I will be focusing on DO schools mainly when I apply, so far I have the following DO schools:
GA-PCOM
LECOM-Bradenton
ACOM
WVSOM
LUCOM

If anyone has any recommendations for my school choices or to make me more competitive I would greatly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I realize that my GPA will be my greatest obstacle, so I plan to take some post-bac science courses in the spring in order to raise it.

Once you do this, you will be in great shape.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I heard about this website from a friend and after reading through some of the other threads I was wondering if I could hear all of your opinions on where I should try to apply (or if I should apply) for the next cycle in June.
I graduated last May with a 3.2 GPA, 3.1 sGPA, and I took the MCAT last month and got a 509. I realize that my GPA will be my greatest obstacle, so I plan to take some post-bac science courses in the spring in order to raise it.

-I am a Florida resident
-I have 300 hours of volunteering at a children's hospital in a research lab
-I have about 50 hours of volunteering inside the hospital and interacting with patients
-I have about 40 hours shadowing a DO
-I don't think I am an URM (I am mixed race, but I mainly put down white on all my applications)
-I'm a first generation college student and I come from a low SES

For extracurricular activities, I was a varsity athlete through college until my Junior year, where I got extremely ill early on and had to leave for a semester, so I have about 5 W's from the fall semester. I tutored one semester in my senior year once a week for about two hours and I did research that year with an environmental science professor as well. I have a patent for an invention and I have made some mobile applications. Currently I am volunteering with a local extension program with a state university where I help residents and gardening clubs on proper practices for sustaining their landscape at their home, their water usage, and gardening. I have about 70 hours so far.

Right now I was planning on applying to my state schools, though I will be focusing on DO schools mainly when I apply, so far I have the following DO schools:
GA-PCOM
LECOM-Bradenton
ACOM
WVSOM
LUCOM

If anyone has any recommendations for my school choices or to make me more competitive I would greatly appreciate it.
I can't recomemnd LUCOM.

Other schools worth trying are:
CUSOM
LMU
BCOM
LECOM
ARCOM
NYITCOM-AR
all three VCOMs
ACOM
Wm Carey

Thank you for your input Goro, I'll make sure to look into the schools you've suggested and add them to the list, along with being a bit weary of LUCOM.