DO 3.0cGPA and 3.1sGPA, is DO an option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparksfly21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cumulative GPA: 3.0
Science GPA: 3.1
Non-Science GPA: 3.06
MCAT: Haven't taken it yet but hoping to get 30+

Extracurricular:
80+ volunteering hours at a hospital
30 hours shadowing an MD surgeon
Teaching 6-12 grade biology lab for 1 semester (~50hours)
Research experience (limited)
Part of different organizations on campus

Basically, I screwed up during my sophomore year of college with taking too many credits at the same time and having a lot of personal things going on which affected my grades. I have been able to maintain an upwards trend for my junior year and am currently a senior. I would like to apply to DO schools but I'm not sure where I stand with my GPA because it is very low. I used a DO sample application to calculate my GPA so replacement grades have been entered. I went to two different undergrad schools and it calculated both GPAs.

I will be graduating in May 2014 and I want to apply to DO schools in June, what are my chances? I am looking at SMP program but if there is ANY way that I may have chances at DO schools, I would much rather go straight into medical school as I pay for school myself and spending about $25,000+ is a bit too much so I wanted to work the year prior to enrollment. What are your thoughts? I really would like to go to Touro in New York. Do I have a chance at that or any other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how you did in your last 2 years. As it stands now, your chances aren't great. If you want to go DO, don't bother with an SMP. Retake all F/D/C grades and apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In addition, your non-science GPA is a 3.06 which indicates that even in your general classes, you still only squeaked out a 3.0. You'd be best served with a post-bacc that included retakes and some upper-divs.

27 MCAT will probably get you in somewhere, but of course score as high as possible.

In addition, your non-science GPA is a 3.06 which indicates that even in your general classes, you still only squeaked out a 3.0. You'd be best served with a post-bacc that included retakes and some upper-divs.

Well after calculating my GPA again with an academic advisor and taking another class during the summer, I will have a 3.15cGPA and 3.2sGpa so does that make it any better? The advisor said a post bacc would be better in comparison to an SMP for
DO schools but with a 3.2 sGPA, applying to med schools won't be such a bad idea.

Strongly concur. You should aim for very high 20s in MCAT, if not actual >30.

Goro, what is the usual minimum? Would you happen to know? I'm getting varied results online but I want to know with the GPA I'll have, what is the least I need in order to get admission SOMEWHERE

Not to state the obvious, but the lowest score you should apply with is the highest score you can muster up. Like user3 said, a 27 would be the minimum. And yes...a 3.15 and 3.2 would definitely be better. If there's somewhat of a trend there, and you score well on the MCAT, you should have success as long as you apply early and broadly.

The avg MCAT score for DO acceptees is ~26, with the top schools (like CCOM) hovering around 29-30. Therefore, to counterbalance your GPAs, I think a score in the high 20s will do you a lot of good.

Goro, what is the usual minimum? Would you happen to know? I'm getting varied results online but I want to know with the GPA I'll have, what is the least I need in order to get admission SOMEWHERE

Reactions: 1 user