3.1 sGPA, 4.0 pre-req GPA, 23DAT what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mp1912

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.1 sGPA and 4.0 for all of the required pre-requisite courses. 23 DAT with nothing lower than 21. Good amount of ECAs.

Applying to USC, Midwestern AZ & IL, A.T.Still AZ & MO, Pacifica, Western, Lecom, Nova, UNE, Touro, Roseman and NYU.

What are my chances please? Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.1 sGPA and 4.0 for all of the required pre-requisite courses. 23 DAT with nothing lower than 21. Good amount of ECAs.

what is your ethnicity/race?

3.1sGPA may be a big drawback despite the 4.0 prereq courses, good DAT though. try to pull up ur sGPA

Thank you very much for the link. It's very informative! I have calculated my SA, but my GPA is very low and DAT is high so in this case is it still very meaningful to compare with the SA listed?

what is your ethnicity/race?

3.1sGPA may be a big drawback despite the 4.0 prereq courses, good DAT though. try to pull up ur sGPA
Asian. I have graduated already. I am indeed planning to take more courses as a non-degree seeking student just in case I don't get in this year. I will have better sGPA next year. What do you think of the plan. Also, do you think my DAT can balance out my GPA. Do you think they might pay more attention to my pre-requisite GPA? Thank you!!

You might want to add in UNLV; I had similar stats (slightly higher) and recieved an interview there as well.

Reactions: 1 user
You might want to add in UNLV; I had similar stats (slightly higher) and recieved an interview there as well.
Is it OOS friendly? I am not California resident.

Asian. I have graduated already. I am indeed planning to take more courses as a non-degree seeking student just in case I don't get in this year. I will have better sGPA next year. What do you think of the plan. Also, do you think my DAT can balance out my GPA. Do you think they might pay more attention to my pre-requisite GPA? Thank you!!

to my limited knowledge, high DAT can balance average GPA to make an average applicant above average applicant. the average GPA I talk about here is 3.5 sGPA.

btw if you are asian (southeast asians) you need better grades than average because you compete with the Asians applying to dental schools.

though I know I will get counter argument but "quota admission" exists to maintain diversity. so try to pull up your sGPA by taking countless upper div Bio (immuno,micro, histology, cell bio, biochem, human anatomy, etc). a 4.0 in prereq does not mean much as these pre reqs are basic classes. and how heavy your courseload is also counts.

to my limited knowledge, high DAT can balance average GPA to make an average applicant above average applicant. the average GPA I talk about here is 3.5 sGPA.

btw if you are asian (southeast asians) you need better grades than average because you compete with the Asians applying to dental schools.

though I know I will get counter argument but "quota admission" exists to maintain diversity. so try to pull up your sGPA by taking countless upper div Bio (immuno,micro, histology, cell bio, biochem, human anatomy, etc). a 4.0 in prereq does not mean much as these pre reqs are basic classes. and how heavy your courseload is also counts.
Thank you so much for your reply! The problem is I have taken most of the upper level sciences and scored B and B+ in them apart from anatomy&physiology(A). I was taking 20 credits per semester. Adding the pre-req GPA, my total sGPA would be 3.3. The mean GPA of most of the schools I am going to apply are 3.3-3.5. What do you think my chance for these schools then?

Members don't see this ad :)
A downward trend isn't great, but a 3.3sGPA is fine. 23 DAT is solid - you are fine.

Reactions: 1 users
so your sGPA is 3.1 or 3.3? If it's 3.3, paired with that DAT, I think you will get at least few interviews if you apply early.

so your sGPA is 3.1 or 3.3? If it's 3.3, paired with that DAT, I think you will get at least few interviews if you apply early.
How early is considered early? By the end of June? Thx

How early is considered early? By the end of June? Thx

I submitted mine by the end of August and thought it wasn't too late, but people told me that's pretty late.
To be considered early, I guess it needs to be mailed out by late June or early July according to what people say here!

Thank you so much for your reply! The problem is I have taken most of the upper level sciences and scored B and B+ in them apart from anatomy&physiology(A). I was taking 20 credits per semester. Adding the pre-req GPA, my total sGPA would be 3.3. The mean GPA of most of the schools I am going to apply are 3.3-3.5. What do you think my chance for these schools then?

its very hard to say your chance for the school. I cant predict the future. However, 3.3 sGPA is kinda low for Asian, but your GPA is fine very good indeed.

I think You will get into a school, but it might be one of the 450k$ price tag school.

you're DAT is solid, you should have no prob at typical schools, the GPA is low, but the DAT shows you are a strong candidate, also your ec's should help, did you do any shadowing? if you apply as soon as the cycle starts you should be great, although id have a good answer as to why the GPA is how it is
I am not a traditional applicant. I am green card holder but I have a foreign degree. I have done all of the upper level science courses in college (GPA 3.1) but not the pre-requisite courses. So I had to do all the pre-req courses in the US (GPA4.0) before I apply. I shouldn't be considered an international student but my situation is certainly very unique I believe. I hope schools will pay more attention to the courses I took in the US and the DAT. Can I ask what your stats were?

I submitted mine by the end of August and thought it wasn't too late, but people told me that's pretty late.
To be considered early, I guess it needs to be mailed out by late June or early July according to what people say here!
I am also taking summer classes and the results will be out after June 17th. Shall I wait for the summer classes result to come out or apply without the summer results?

I am not a traditional applicant. I am green card holder but I have a foreign degree. I have done all of the upper level science courses in college (GPA 3.1) but not the pre-requisite courses. So I had to do all the pre-req courses in the US (GPA4.0) before I apply. I shouldn't be considered an international student but my situation is certainly very unique I believe. I hope schools will pay more attention to the courses I took in the US and the DAT. Can I ask what your stats were?

if this is the case, you are highly recommended to obtain a BS degree here first since US dental school is unlikely able to accept foreign degree.

if this is the case, you are highly recommended to obtain a BS degree here first since US dental school is unlikely able to accept foreign degree.
I have called the schools and they said as long as I finish all the pre-req courses in the US I can apply. They also said a foreign degree shouldn't hurt my competence.

I have called the schools and they said as long as I finish all the pre-req courses in the US I can apply. They also said a foreign degree shouldn't hurt my competence.

so how many are the total units of courses you took in US? prereq + other courses included?

hm, the people you talk to when you called the schools are admission counselors (who go off the book and are protocol reader). However, the people who make admission decision dont really prefer foreign courses. You should at least complete 90 semester units done in the US (like it is recommended for people who apply without a BS degree in US)

the international students you read about complete their BS degree in US, the only international students I see that dont complete BS in US but still can get into US dental schools are Canadians.

btw, the schools you list above are SUPER SUPER expensive (except LECOM probably but it has major problems now). are you sure you wanna go into 450k debt? without giving a shot at 300k schools?

so how many are the total units of courses you took in US? prereq + other courses included?

hm, the people you talk to when you called the schools are admission counselors (who go off the book and are protocol reader). However, the people who make admission decision dont really prefer foreign courses. You should at least complete 90 semester units done in the US (like it is recommended for people who apply without a BS degree in US)

the international students you read about complete their BS degree in US, the only international students I see that dont complete BS in US but still can get into US dental schools are Canadians.

btw, the schools you list above are SUPER SUPER expensive (except LECOM probably but it has major problems now). are you sure you wanna go into 450k debt? without giving a shot at 300k schools?
I have taken 32 credit hours. I am taking another 7 hours this summer. Can I ask how you know that decision makers don't like foreign degree? Completing 90 hours will take me more than a year. Shall I still apply this year? I will continue taking more courses in the fall and spring next year in case I don't get in this year. I am just aiming for schools with lower gpa requirements now. What is the problem with LECOM?

I have taken 32 credit hours. I am taking another 7 hours this summer. Can I ask how you know that decision makers don't like foreign degree? Completing 90 hours will take me more than a year. Shall I still apply this year? I will continue taking more courses in the fall and spring next year in case I don't get in this year. I am just aiming for schools with lower gpa requirements now. What is the problem with LECOM?

ok so let me clear is up. lets ignore the foreign classwork you did outside of US, what is the cGPA/sGPA of the 32 credits hours? these 32 credits are not all prereq correct?

it is from my research when I applied to dental school last cycle. I read so many that I dont keep the source at hand. a lot of these you just gotta take it for what it is. there is no official published document to prove it because these deans don't make anything official. You can search around on SDN to know more about this.

yes completing 90 credit takes time, if you are at 90 credits, you are almost near finishing a BS anyways (this is what dental schools want, a BS). those that dont have BS and go to dental school, as far as I know, are so so so near to finishing with BS (they miss like 2-3 random classes).

ok. You should consider your options wisely as applications cost much and also bomb ego/pride badly if you dont get in just because you dont have enough requirements. not because you are not good enough.

LECOM's first graduating class failed the clinical board part 2 at the impressive 75%. 450k debt is not a joke. by applying to all schools with this type of debt is like shooting yourself in a foot

ok so let me clear is up. lets ignore the foreign classwork you did outside of US, what is the cGPA/sGPA of the 32 credits hours? these 32 credits are not all prereq correct?

it is from my research when I applied to dental school last cycle. I read so many that I dont keep the source at hand. a lot of these you just gotta take it for what it is. there is no official published document to prove it because these deans don't make anything official. You can search around on SDN to know more about this.

yes completing 90 credit takes time, if you are at 90 credits, you are almost near finishing a BS anyways (this is what dental schools want, a BS). those that dont have BS and go to dental school, as far as I know, are so so so near to finishing with BS (they miss like 2-3 random classes).

ok. You should consider your options wisely as applications cost much and also bomb ego/pride badly if you dont get in just because you dont have enough requirements. not because you are not good enough.

LECOM's first graduating class failed the clinical board part 2 at the impressive 75%. 450k debt is not a joke. by applying to all schools with this type of debt is like shooting yourself in a foot
Thank you for ur advise. Do you know who are the decision makers? I thought the admission counselors make the decisions. Shall I contact the deans instead to ask whether my bachelor degree will put me in a disadvantageous position then? 32 credits are 8 hours of bio, gen chem, orgo and physics. I am taking micorbio and English this summer, biochem and other recommended pre-req in the fall and spring although I have taken 10 hours of micobio, 10 hours of biochem and other upper level sciences in my foreign undergrad studies.

Thank you for ur advise. Do you know who are the decision makers? I thought the admission counselors make the decisions. Shall I contact the deans instead to ask whether my bachelor degree will put me in a disadvantageous position then? 32 credits are 8 hours of bio, gen chem, orgo and physics. I am taking micorbio and English this summer, biochem and other recommended pre-req in the fall and spring although I have taken 10 hours of micobio, 10 hours of biochem and other upper level sciences in my foreign undergrad studies.

no, admission counselors dont even participate in interview, let alone sit in admission committee to vote on admission decision. Simply put, they are like receptionist for admission office. they provide information and do Q&A.

the decisions makers are in the admission committee. and yes the Dean is in the admission committee but I doubt he/she will have time to answer personal question (hence thats why admission counselors exist). you can try to reach the dean/vice dean/ or admission committee panel.

ok I understand your situation now. what country is your undergrad studies in?

To be bluntly clear with you, I don't think you should apply right now as the amount of credits you have is bare minimums. Dental school wanna see many (>4) upper div bio classes completed before application.

no, admission counselors dont even participate in interview, let alone sit in admission committee to vote on admission decision. Simply put, they are like receptionist for admission office. they provide information and do Q&A.

the decisions makers are in the admission committee. and yes the Dean is in the admission committee but I doubt he/she will have time to answer personal question (hence thats why admission counselors exist). you can try to reach the dean/vice dean/ or admission committee panel.

ok I understand your situation now. what country is your undergrad studies in?

To be bluntly clear with you, I don't think you should apply right now as the amount of credits you have is bare minimums. Dental school wanna see many (>4) upper div bio classes completed before application.
I graduated from Oxford university in England. My whole degree from Oxford is called bachelor of Biochemistry so I have done a lot of upper div bio classes in Oxford. I really hope they can consider this. Do you think it would be rude to directly call the deans to ask? Thx.

I graduated from Oxford university in England. My whole degree from Oxford is called bachelor of Biochemistry so I have done a lot of upper div bio classes in Oxford. I really hope they can consider this. Do you think it would be rude to directly call the deans to ask? Thx.

ohhh, i though the degree comes from southeast country that speaks another language.

this is rather a very unique case. No it will not be rude to call the dean. you can ask the counselors to set up a phone appointment and call up 2-3 schools to set up
look at this like the dental schools are the vendors that sell dental education, and you as a buyer, can freely ask anything.

ohhh, i though the degree comes from southeast country that speaks another language.

this is rather a very unique case. No it will not be rude to call the dean. you can ask the counselors to set up a phone appointment and call up 2-3 schools to set up
look at this like the dental schools are the vendors that sell dental education, and you as a buyer, can freely ask anything.
I see. I will call them next Monday then. I am also taking summer classes which finish on June the 17th. Shall I apply before or after the results of the summer classes come out? In other words, does it matter if I apply in early July instead of early June? Thank you for your help.

I see. I will call them next Monday then. I am also taking summer classes which finish on June the 17th. Shall I apply before or after the results of the summer classes come out? In other words, does it matter if I apply in early July instead of early June? Thank you for your help.

in my perspective, 3 week lag in submission time matters. but in others' perspectives, not so much.