3.15 with a change of plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mintgum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. So here is my cliche story. I was predent and switched to premed. Usually it's the other way around right? I really was fighting the urge to be a doctor. But my grades went down as soon as my made the decision to formally be predent. Now that I want to do medicine. And YES I am 125% sure. What can I do with these stats.

3.15 cum gpa.
2.35 sci gpa.

Lots of Hospital experience
Published Research
38 on Practice MCAT

Yes. I know its bad. I still have 1.5 more years in university. What should I be doing to maximize my chances? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Straight As for 2.5 more years would help a lot, and with a strong MCAT score, might get you into an MD school. If that doesn't work out, you could look into an SMP (Special Masters Programs) to help override a low cGPA, but that might be harder to get into if you don't start generating great grades in all the science classes.

Hmm... I'd think that you can make that work, especially with published research and an MCAT like that. That sounds about normal for someone with a very strong research background. Always worth a shot - I suppose it's good to hope for the best and apply everywhere! You never know who your story will resonate with.

I'd do everything possible to get both of your GPA's over 3.0. If you can replicate your practice score on the real thing, apply like a madman, knock your essays out of the park, and interview like a champ, you probably stand a decent chance of at least getting in somewhere. Keep the EC's rolling, and go for A's. Extra time in college sucks, but take another semester or two if you need to. Try to avoid doing a SMP if at all possible, but that's always an option if you fail a couple of application cycles.