WAMC URM, 509, 3.9 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deggroll

Reaction score
  1. cGPA 3.8, sGPA 3.9
  2. 509 (129/124/128/128)
  3. California resident
  4. Mexican
  5. UC Riverside
  6. Clinical experience - 1500+ hours scribing, 100 hours hospice volunteer
  7. No research. I worked a ton during undergrad in food service (1000+ hours), I took on a managerial position for some of those hours. I am also a scribe lead/EHR trainer at the clinic I scribe for (500 hours).
  8. shadowing - 100 hours, 2 different FM docs, 1 DO and 1 MD
  9. Nonclinical volunteering - 150 hours food kitchen, 100 hours ED volunteer, 100 hours online math tutor for marginalized children, 50 hours red cross blood donor ambassador
  10. Other activities - 6+ years snowboarding, intramural softball, weight lifting
  11. no significant awards other than the GPA related awards
  12. Anything else - 2nd generation Latino with zero connections to medicine. Learned English as a second language. Spent all of my life living in the Coachella valley region. Have ties to Virginia and Arizona.
Current school list:
1712946677977.png

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you connected with LMSA or SNMA chapters at the schools you really want to attend, including UCR? The UC schools have a lot of outreach to prospective applicants, especially those from marginalized communities. Many of these sessions are available online, especially from mentoring groups like MiMentor.

Remove Toledo since they admit few applicants with no connection to the state or region. MSUCOM has very high non resident tuition.
You could add any of these MD schools:
UC Irvine
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
George Washington
Georgetown
Einstein
Hackensack
Temple
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
You should apply to at least 20 MD schools to increase your chances for interviews.

Changes since the first post?
Main difference is having the hospice experience now. I have updated the hours so they are more accurate to what's going to be on my app. I would like some advice on my school list as this is almost my finalized list.

Reactions: 1 user