3.2 GPA, 38Q MCAT, what do you think

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IanMalcoRaptor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I am not usually the type to seek out information when it isn't going to change anything, but this is just killing me. I have already applied to all in-state schools and a few out of state, including Duke. Georgia Medical College as a safety school (the closest school near the bottom of the national rankings). I live in South Carolina.

I have a 3.2 GPA, 3.3 science. I did not try at all as an undergrad, but I did get my BA in Bio. A year later I decided to give a damn and decided I was meant to be a doctor. I reenrolled at my college and got straight 4.0 in two summer classes, fall and spring semesters. This includes organic chem, gen chem, physics 101-2, physio/anatomy, and microbiology.

I also got 100 hours at a hospital, in the ER, and 45 hours shadowing. I have several good LOR from professors and former employers (also doctors). I have research experience with biology and psychology/medical.

You might say I have no chance at this point but like I said I didn't try before. Now that I was trying, I did really well in school, and spent two months studying for the MCAT, and got a 38Q.

So what do you think my odds are? So far I have two interviews and 7/9 secondary apps completed. I think my PS is compelling as I have had an interesting life, single parent, low income family, lived in many places. I just wanted to get an unbiased outlook on just how much emphasis medical schools place on poor grades.

should also throw in that there is a slight upward trend in my undergrad GPA (as in .01 to .02 points). Other than the 4.0 in the last year.

Well, enough talking, let me know what you think! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You already have interviews dude. The only reason you won't get in is if you blow it as a person.

They say that most times once you get an interview it means that a school thinks that you're good enough on paper and now they just want to meet you and see who you are as a person. If that's true and you've already gotten 2 interviews, like basedbear said, do well in the interviews and you should be fine!

A 38 is an insane score and will make any school look at you twice even after seeing your GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally agree with the above two posts. Many people finish ug and decide to go to med school after having some experiences. And since you wrote a compelling PS, they must have thought that you were good enough for an interview. Read up on the current healthcare system, and what it may become (oyyyyy....), and then ethics as well. You could also look at the forum for each individual school and see what others have said about the interviews. Be yourself at the interview, and you should get in no problem! Good luck and keep up posted!

Hi guys

I am not usually the type to seek out information when it isn't going to change anything, but this is just killing me. I have already applied to all in-state schools and a few out of state, including Duke. Georgia Medical College as a safety school (the closest school near the bottom of the national rankings). I live in South Carolina.

I have a 3.2 GPA, 3.3 science. I did not try at all as an undergrad, but I did get my BA in Bio. A year later I decided to give a damn and decided I was meant to be a doctor. I reenrolled at my college and got straight 4.0 in two summer classes, fall and spring semesters. This includes organic chem, gen chem, physics 101-2, physio/anatomy, and microbiology.

I also got 100 hours at a hospital, in the ER, and 45 hours shadowing. I have several good LOR from professors and former employers (also doctors). I have research experience with biology and psychology/medical.

You might say I have no chance at this point but like I said I didn't try before. Now that I was trying, I did really well in school, and spent two months studying for the MCAT, and got a 38Q.

So what do you think my odds are? So far I have two interviews and 7/9 secondary apps completed. I think my PS is compelling as I have had an interesting life, single parent, low income family, lived in many places. I just wanted to get an unbiased outlook on just how much emphasis medical schools place on poor grades.

should also throw in that there is a slight upward trend in my undergrad GPA (as in .01 to .02 points). Other than the 4.0 in the last year.
I think that your odds far exceed the 54% chance that those with your stats have had in past years due to the consistent high recent grades in the sciences and the extra credit that nontrads seems to get when they had another career.

Start perusing SDN's Interview Feedback section for probable questions and practicing your interview skills.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

So it is a much bigger leap to go from secondary app > interview than to go from interview > acceptance?

Otherwise I definitely will practice for these interviews. In all honesty I know next to nothing about health care reform (too busy reforming my own study habits) so I think that is the main thing I should get taken care of. First interview is in mid-September.

What do I do if I don't have ethics?

(kidding)

So it is a much bigger leap to go from secondary app > interview than to go from interview > acceptance?

Otherwise I definitely will practice for these interviews. In all honesty I know next to nothing about health care reform (too busy reforming my own study habits) so I think that is the main thing I should get taken care of. First interview is in mid-September.

(kidding)

I'm also applying right now so I couldn't tell you about the first question. I think to some extent, every applicant is at the same ranking prior to interviews since all of you are good enough on paper to receive an interview in the first place ya know? Especially since mid-Sept is rather early for an interview (I think), it increases your chances of getting an acceptance.

I had some mock interviews at my school and here's a good site for a variety of ethic scenarios: http://virtualmentor.ama-assn.org/. And if you don't have ethics, you shouldn't be a doctor; oh and don't mention that part during your interview :p. Other than that, read up on healthcare and especially some of the more controversial topics. You don't need to know EVERYTHING, but sometimes the committee just wants to know that you are aware and have an opinion on some of the things you read. Keep in mind that there is no right or wrong opinion, you just need to support your reasoning. Also look up things specific to that school/state, practice talking to others and presenting your thoughts/ideas, and you should be golden! Don't worry too much about the acceptance right now, you can do that after your interview ;)

For many schools an interview is the same as an acceptance. One has to actually work at bombing an interview.

I'm amazed that you actually got the interview with the 3.2, but good show! I'm glad to see that some people on AdCom look beyond mere numbers. Good luck!

(kidding)