3.22 cGPA, 3.15 sGPA Should I pick up a paintbush?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vincent Goldsmith

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should give up taking the MCAT, and applying to medical school. I'm currently working on a bachelors in Physics. I have 33 hours in CLEP/DSST credits. I took care of a chunk of pre-health requirements this way (Gen Chem lectures, English 101, and an A in Biology without stepping foot in a classroom).
Organic Chemistry has just about killed me. For example, I have a B in Organic I, a D in Organic lab I, and a C in Organic II. I have volunteered at a children's hospital for four months. For four years now I have been volunteering on and off as a usher at an old historic theater. I have been a research assistant for a Sociology professor on a walking bus program in the city. I have shadowed a dentist for five days. I spent about a week shadowing in an ER. Up until high school I was home-schooled, and between then and college I just studied on my own. Organic has really shaken me, and I'm not sure if I've even got a chance anymore.
So, should I give up and pick up a paintbrush and a ladder, and start working with my Dad?

Members don't see this ad.

Retake Orgo Lab I since you have to have a C minimum on your prereqs... 27+ MCAT will give you a shot at DO and you will be a physician.

i used a paintbrush all 4 years of undergrad and i am currently sitting on a 3.6/3.3 and 35 MCAT.

if you are majoring in physics, you'll most likely do well on the MCAT.

you can apply straight away for DO, and if you improve your GPA (via smp, postbacc, whatever), then MD is also possible.

dont give up if you want to be a physician.