3.3 c & sGPA, 515 MCAT, Decent ECs, Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAPostBaccWarrior

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated from UMD in the spring with a 3.3 overall and science GPA, with a pretty consistent GPA trend, high of 3.8, low of 3.0. Took the MCAT coming into senior year and scored higher than expected. I was planning on taking at least a two year master course to boost my GPA before applying to mainly DO schools, but with the MCAT my prospects seem to have changed a bit.

Briefly my ECs include:

200 hrs of research in an immunology lab at UPenn
400 hrs of research at NIH, through a UMD connect
100 hrs of research for a professor at UMD on a separate project
Unfortunately not a single publication

40 hrs of shadowing in an ER
200 hrs of volunteering at Jefferson in Philly, from short procedure units to the blood-bank, all kinds of stuff

Worked as a lifeguard/ manager for 6+ years as a part-time summer job
Worked as a physics learning assistant (basically a TA without grading responsibilities) for my junior year at Maryland

So my question is what are my chances if I just blast apps out next spring for DO's and low tier MDs without a PostBacc of sorts?

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 12 and you should receive several interviews. For MD schools your chances for an acceptance are in the 50% range. You could try these schools:
U Maryland
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Tulane
any new schools that may open by 2019 (Seton Hall, Roseman, NOVA MD, Kaiser, etc.)
Your GP is below the 10th percentile for most MD schools but your high MCAT may attract attention at some schools.
You could take additional undergraduate level courses at a local college in the coming year to increase your GPA. Increasing it to 3.4 would improve your odds to 60%.