3.3 cGPA 3.1 sGPA what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ponies2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.3 cGPA 3.1 sGPA and 3.8 major GPA (psych)
Here are my ECs:
I'm going to be a TA for my anatomy and physiology class in the fall
I'm a RA in a psych lab (3 years and ongoing)
I've been a pharm tech for 2 years (ongoing)
I've volunteered at a hospital (ED and post-op) and the ronald mcdonald house since high school ongoing)
I've been a Habitat for Humanity volunteer for 3 years
I tutored bio and chem during my freshman year
I've shadowed a physician (MD and DO)
I'm in the processes of shadowing a radiologist and anesthesiologist
I'm president MESA
Historian for Phi Sigma Pi
and VP for Psi-Chi

I'm taking my MCAT July 2nd so I'm aiming for a 30+..
Given my gpa and ECs and assuming I do well on the MCAT, do you think I have a shot this cycle for DO?

Members don't see this ad.

You have a VERY similar profile to mine. I had a 30 on the MCAT and have been accepted to 3 DO schools, but only after doing an SMP (I did not apply to DO schools prior to the SMP, but was rejected from MD schools, twice).

The biggest question is what your science grades look like. Here are some scenarios:

- You took almost only pre-reqs and got a slew of C's, with other grades thrown in here and there
- You had C's in some earlier pre-reqs, but pulled them up significantly in later pre-reqs and did well in upper-level science classes
- You did well in earlier pre-reqs and dropped in later pre-reqs/upper-level classes
- You have straight B's, with some B+'s thrown in

I can tell you that I was scenario #1 and I don't think I was a candidate for DO school prior to the SMP. I think scenarios 2 and 4 are favorable.

@ponies2015 ...sGPA is a little bit low. However, 25-27 mcat will give you a shot at low tier DO IMO. 28+ will open more doors.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Which SMP did you do?
You have a VERY similar profile to mine. I had a 30 on the MCAT and have been accepted to 3 DO schools, but only after doing an SMP (I did not apply to DO schools prior to the SMP, but was rejected from MD schools, twice).

The biggest question is what your science grades look like. Here are some scenarios:

- You took almost only pre-reqs and got a slew of C's, with other grades thrown in here and there
- You had C's in some earlier pre-reqs, but pulled them up significantly in later pre-reqs and did well in upper-level science classes
- You did well in earlier pre-reqs and dropped in later pre-reqs/upper-level classes

I can tell you that I was scenario #1 and I don't think I was a candidate for DO school prior to the SMP. I think scenarios 2 and 4 are favorable.

I had very similar GPAs with strictly B's and B+'s around the board. I went back to a community college and just took a semester of science classes that I got B's in... I thought it was pretty silly, but that's what many schools recommended. Now, I am into several DO schools :] You have a chance with those GPAs if your MCAT is high enough though.

I have 2 Cs one in gen chem 2 and the other in ochem 1. The rest of my preqs are split between As and Bs. I plan on retaking them so i can get a grade replacement, however that wont be until after I applied.
I thought about doing a SMP after I graduate, but that means I would have to wait to cycles to apply so they can see my grades...I don't know if I want to wait 2 years to start medical school..maybe 1 but not 2.

I'm maybe 0.1 better than you for each GPA, got two interviews, and one acceptance. Get a 30+ (maybe a 28, 29...) and apply early, and I imagine you should be fine.