3.3 sGPA, 3.47 cGPA (as of yet). not yet taken MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lavenderh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not a minority or URM. At a top 30 undergrad school.

No C's in any courses. (Does the distribution of grades matter? I have mostly B's, with As in physics taken over the summer at another university. One B- in anatomy).

Took a Kaplan practice MCAT going in raw (no studying) and got a 28 (7 BS, 12 VR, 9 PS). Is this a good representative of how I'll do in the future?

I'm an econ major graduating in December (taking an extra semester because withdrew at the end of my last semester due to a car accident... how badly does this look?).

Planning on moving home, studying for the MCAT full time/taking a prep course once a graduate while holding a part-time clinically related job and/or volunteering to boost my application.

I'm currently enrolled in 2 science courses-- intro to biochem, which I'm currently on solid track for an A in, and genetics, which I'm on track for a B+ in but could improve. 2 A's would boost my sGPA to a 3.43

Thoughts on my post grad plans? What to do to boost my application? My current chances if I apply next year? Will my MCAT be able to make a big difference?

I'm thinking about applying to postbacc programs, particularly ones with linkages. My chances for those?

Members don't see this ad.

No C's in any courses. (Does the distribution of grades matter? I have mostly B's, with As in physics taken over the summer at another university. One B- in anatomy).

Took a Kaplan practice MCAT going in raw (no studying) and got a 28 (7 BS, 12 VR, 9 PS). Is this a good representative of how I'll do in the future?

I'm an econ major graduating in December (taking an extra semester because withdrew at the end of my last semester due to a car accident... how badly does this look?).

Planning on moving home, studying for the MCAT full time/taking a prep course once a graduate while holding a part-time clinically related job and/or volunteering to boost my application.

I'm currently enrolled in 2 science courses-- intro to biochem, which I'm currently on solid track for an A in, and genetics, which I'm on track for a B+ in but could improve. 2 A's would boost my sGPA to a 3.43

Thoughts on my post grad plans? What to do to boost my application? My current chances if I apply next year? Will my MCAT be able to make a big difference?

I'm thinking about applying to postbacc programs, particularly ones with linkages. My chances for those?

You should do better than the 28, so that's good. Your GPA is a bit of a problem but if you bring it up like you say that'll help. You said little about your ECs so I assume they're solid. If not, that should be a huge focus to offset the GPA. The car wreck isn't a big deal, in fact you can probably use it in your PS or 'biggest challenge.' Just continue to improve, apply early and broadly, and assuming a good MCAT you'll do fine. Even if you got a 28 on the MCAT you'd be totally solid for DO.

For MD, you really need to prove your capability with upper-level Bio and B grades are not going to do that. You are a good candidate for a Special Masters Program or similar, but it would be a colossal waste of time and money if you don't pull off a 3.7+ GPA while there. I'd suggest you need to hone your skills at getting top grades in med school-like coursework before you take the risk. If your current school isn't cost prohibitive, since you have top registration priority there, you might just delay graduation until May and take more science classes in the spring semester while studying for the MCAT.

Good job on the Biochem. Keep up the excellent work.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should do better than the 28, so that's good. Your GPA is a bit of a problem but if you bring it up like you say that'll help. You said little about your ECs so I assume they're solid. If not, that should be a huge focus to offset the GPA. The car wreck isn't a big deal, in fact you can probably use it in your PS or 'biggest challenge.' Just continue to improve, apply early and broadly, and assuming a good MCAT you'll do fine. Even if you got a 28 on the MCAT you'd be totally solid for DO.

Relevant ECs:
Hospital radiology department office assistant (liason between CT techs and patients, worked with X-ray techs)-- summer 2008, summer 2009, summer 2010, spring 2010
Core lab research technician-- summer 2011 to summer 2012
Recognized service scholar-- 300 hours of volunteering over UG, including service spring break trip to south america, volunteering in a school for a semester, etc.
Shadowed GI (was a DO) and vascular surgeon-- summer 2012
Volunteer in hospital ED-- summer 2012-present

After graduating, I'm thinking of continuing to volunteer and shadow, possibly find a research position. Or go through CNA and/or EMT training.

For MD, you really need to prove your capability with upper-level Bio and B grades are not going to do that. You are a good candidate for a Special Masters Program or similar, but it would be a colossal waste of time and money if you don't pull off a 3.7+ GPA while there. I'd suggest you need to hone your skills at getting top grades in med school-like coursework before you take the risk. If your current school isn't cost prohibitive, since you have top registration priority there, you might just delay graduation until May and take more science classes in the spring semester while studying for the MCAT.

Good job on the Biochem. Keep up the excellent work.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

Unfortunately, delaying graduating at my current school isn't an option (they're strict on the number of semesters students take). Home at my parents' place is right near a reasonably-priced university where I could be a non-degree studies part time student.

Also-- thoughts on healthcare consulting as a glide/gap year option? Too far off from clinical care?

Relevant ECs:
Hospital radiology department office assistant (liason between CT techs and patients, worked with X-ray techs)-- summer 2008, summer 2009, summer 2010, spring 2010
Core lab research technician-- summer 2011 to summer 2012
Recognized service scholar-- 300 hours of volunteering over UG, including service spring break trip to south america, volunteering in a school for a semester, etc.
Shadowed GI (was a DO) and vascular surgeon-- summer 2012
Volunteer in hospital ED-- summer 2012-present

After graduating, I'm thinking of continuing to volunteer and shadow, possibly find a research position. Or go through CNA and/or EMT training.

Very very solid clinical experience. So solid in fact that you might want to get involved in a non-clinical activity or two. Something like tutoring or working with underprivileged youth. You should get in if you can score 30 or higher.

Very very solid clinical experience. So solid in fact that you might want to get involved in a non-clinical activity or two. Something like tutoring or working with underprivileged youth. You should get in if you can score 30 or higher.

Cool. I'll definitely look into doing that.

And are you talking about MD or DO? You think a 30+ would overshadow 3.3-3.4 sGPA?

1) That works.

2) What would your role be?

I'd be a "clinical solutions" analyst which would mean going on-site to clients (hospitals and physician practices) monday-thursday (projects typically last months to a year), and working on clinical solutions and physician services. Clinical solutions involves working with hospital staff on projects to improve care quality, consistency of care delivery, reduce patient stays, increase number of patients seen overall, and increase patient satisfaction (and of course hospital revenue). Tracking performance and maintaining improvements, helping implement EMR, etc... all for the goal of improving patient outcomes. Physician services mainly involves helping hospitals make decision on whether to hire physicians and assisting physician practices with their management and infrastructure.

It's much more business and operations-oriented overall.

I'd be a "clinical solutions" analyst which would mean going on-site to clients (hospitals and physician practices) monday-thursday (projects typically last months to a year), and working on clinical solutions and physician services. Clinical solutions involves working with hospital staff on projects to improve care quality, consistency of care delivery, reduce patient stays, increase number of patients seen overall, and increase patient satisfaction (and of course hospital revenue). Tracking performance and maintaining improvements, helping implement EMR, etc... all for the goal of improving patient outcomes. Physician services mainly involves helping hospitals make decision on whether to hire physicians and assisting physician practices with their management and infrastructure.

It's much more business and operations-oriented overall.
It sounds like a terrific opportunity to get an overview of medicine and solutions to its problems. It's not clinical experience (unless you personally engage patients with questionnaires), but it's certainly relevant and will help with common interview questions.

You need to get your GPA >3.5 if you really want to be competetive. Best way to boost your GPA will be to ace your coursework. A strong MCAT will help, but right now, alas, it's hypothetical.

I say that as of right now, your only bet will be at the lowest of the low-tier schools, and possibly your state schools, depending upon which state you're in.

You're fine for the DO schools, and for SMPs.

You need to get your GPA >3.5 if you really want to be competetive. Best way to boost your GPA will be to ace your coursework. A strong MCAT will help, but right now, alas, it's hypothetical.

I say that as of right now, your only bet will be at the lowest of the low-tier schools, and possibly your state schools, depending upon which state you're in.

You're fine for the DO schools, and for SMPs.

Thanks. Gonna try and finish strong in these last two, study hard for the MCAT, and then go from there. I'm an NC resident.

It sounds like a terrific opportunity to get an overview of medicine and solutions to its problems. It's not clinical experience (unless you personally engage patients with questionnaires), but it's certainly relevant and will help with common interview questions.

I agree, and I'm very very interested in it. I'd also love to get some real-world work experience before going to med school, I think it's invaluable. I would just be concerned that if I ended up going through with it, that adcoms would think my time would have been better spent doing something with direct clinical experience, or even just more community-service based such as Americorps or a similar thing.

1) I'd also love to get some real-world work experience before going to med school, I think it's invaluable.
2) I would just be concerned that if I ended up going through with it, that adcoms would think my time would have been better spent doing something with direct clinical experience, or even just more community-service based such as Americorps or a similar thing.
1) And the cash will come in handy, too.

2) Considering your current relative strength in the realm of volunteerism (clinical and nonclinical), you can just as well spend a few hours a week continuing to volunteer somewhere while taking classes, and do fine IMO.

1) And the cash will come in handy, too.

2) Considering your current relative strength in the realm of volunteerism (clinical and nonclinical), you can just as well spend a few hours a week continuing to volunteer somewhere while taking classes, and do fine IMO.

1) haha exactly. i'm going through the interview process so we'll see how it goes! it would start sometime in may/summer, so i'll have time before then to study for and take the mcat and some courses if possible.

what are your thoughts on taking courses while studying for the mcat? better to do something like SN2ed's plan?

2) yeah. since it's a heavy-travel job, i'm not sure of the practicality of taking courses, but volunteering on weekends is of course doable.

what are your thoughts on taking courses while studying for the mcat? better to do something like SN2ed's plan?
It could be a problem taking difficult coursework, earning As, and maintaining the pace of a formal classroom MCAT prep course. You can't afford to be distracted from your primary goal (of great grades). A self-study option has much to recommend it in your case. If you can't keep all the balls in the air at the same time, then decompress your planned schedule, even if it means delaying application by a year.

It could be a problem taking difficult coursework, earning As, and maintaining the pace of a formal classroom MCAT prep course. You can't afford to be distracted from your primary goal (of great grades). A self-study option has much to recommend it in your case. If you can't keep all the balls in the air at the same time, then decompress your planned schedule, even if it means delaying application by a year.

just realized i forgot that statistics and applied math courses are taken into account in the BCPM gpa. this raises me to a 3.4 currently, and with 2 A's in my current courses could bump me up to a 3.5 sGPA. IF i end up graduating with this BCPM gpa, do you think this still a bit low? should i still consider special masters programs?

just realized i forgot that statistics and applied math courses are taken into account in the BCPM gpa. this raises me to a 3.4 currently, and with 2 A's in my current courses could bump me up to a 3.5 sGPA. IF i end up graduating with this BCPM gpa, do you think this still a bit low? should i still consider special masters programs?
Well that's good news, but yes a 3.5 BCPM GPA is still below the acceptee average of 3.61. JMO, but I don't think two recent A grades alone will wow MD adcomms, especially in light of your cGPA (unless, possibly, you have a strong showing with the MCAT, say 33+). If you want your best shot at MD, getting more As in upper-level Bio is advisable, whether via SMP or the cheaper alternative of a year's informal postbac at your local 4-year school. Opinions will no doubt vary.