3.31cGPA, good EC...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poozer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I am taking the MCATs early this spring and applying this coming summer. My cGPA in college (new england lib arts school) was 3.39, but my sGPA was 3.51.

*updated* the title with the AMCAS GPA calculations (woo better?).

My GPA would be a fair bit higher if it were not for my first semester of college, where it was abysmally low (2.6ish?). I can partially explain this in that I had literally missed my last 18 months of high school with severe post concussion syndrome (think 24/7 migraines that never went away), so realistically I hadn't actually taken a real class in nearly 2 years... no APs... I just wasn't mentally ready for college at that point, but things clearly improved, so thats good. My final 3 semesters nothing was below an A-, which included multiple high level science courses. I've also been taking two semesters of graduate level statistic courses since graduating, which I've been doing very well in, though that won't factor into my undergrad GPA.

Since graduating ('09) I've worked in a research lab at Dartmouth med school, and should have a first author publication by the time my applications are submitted. So I'll be 24/25 when applying to schools.

During college I volunteered for a summer in an emergency department, and then for a semester at a psychiatric facility. I also volunteered with the local fire department as an EMT for a year. I also have some surgery/GE shadowing experience.

MCAT practice test wise I've been scoring ~30-31 (with little studying thus far).

I don't have unreal expectations of applying to Harvard or anything like that, but with the background story, and assuming a decent MCAT, do people think I have a reasonable expectancy to get into an MD program somewhere?

Cheers,
Nick

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My cGPA in college was 3.31, but my sGPA was 3.46.

I've also been taking two semesters of graduate level statistic courses since graduating, which I've been doing very well in, though that won't factor into my undergrad GPA.

Since graduating ('09) I've worked in a research lab at Dartmouth med school, and should have a first author publication by the time my applications are submitted. So I'll be 24/25 when applying to schools.

During college I volunteered for a summer in an emergency department, and then for a semester at a psychiatric facility. I also volunteered with the local fire department as an EMT for a year. I also have some surgery/GE shadowing experience.

do people think I have a reasonable expectancy to get into an MD program somewhere?
Unless you are a candidate for a graduate degree for which your Statistics courses are required, those grades will be included in your uGPA, even though they're considered grad-level. Hopefully, that helps you, as your cGPA is .35 lower than the mean for those accepted to MD schools. Your BCPM GPA would be higher too, so perhaps you could recalculate both for us if you are not a grad student. Your upward grade trend will help a lot at schools that give less weight to freshman year grades. Obviously a strong MCAT score will be important. Aim for a 34+.

The research and clinical experience look good. Hopefully, your shadowing is at least the average of 50 hours. It would be nice if you added some time with a primary care doc to what you have.

What about nonmedical community service, which med schools are increasingly looking for? Any leadership or teaching? What about hobbies, sports, and artistic endeavors?

re: stats classes
My question there would be, how would they be factored in? they are graded low pass/pass/high pass. So even with high passes, there still isn't a GPA conversion per say. I won't be getting a degree through them, its just a perk of where I work.

What about nonmedical community service, which med schools are increasingly looking for? Any leadership or teaching? What about hobbies, sports, and artistic endeavors?
At this point (fulltime+ job) I admittedly don't have that much time for anything community service oriented. In college I ran a restaurant (as in finances, menus, everything but the cooking), and also was the head student in charge of tech support. So at least with those jobs I was putting together training courses for waitstaff and tech support staff, as well as teaching them.

I play ice hockey... ran the club team in college, still playing now. Piano & Photography... took piano lessons in college, still play, though its not particularly organized at this point.