Premed559

2+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm 2 years out of undergraduate school. My science GPA was 3.23 / cumulative 3.3. I'm currently studying to taking my MCAT in January. I did track and field for 2 years in college, was part of a fraternity and held office for 1 year. I volunteered for 1 summer at rotacare after graduating but moved to another location so I stopped going. I am now doing that again at my current city and doing clinical research with a doctor at a hospital. I'm set up to shadow a few physicians at a general surgery group as well. I am also registered to take microbiology class at the community college this fall. I've been an ER scribe for 2 years, lead scribe for about 8 months. I am of Mexican descent and am first generation student.

Negatives: I recently was charged with a DUI for driving a friend home a few weeks ago (0.13%) after running a yellow light that turned red.

What should I do at this point? I'm afraid that no school will look at my application because of the DUI.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
No one can help without an MCAT score.
I you don't speak Spanish fluently, now would be a good time to start.
Community service?
Shadow longitudinal care instead of tertiary care, if at all possible.

Reactions: Goro
May 21, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
No one can help without an MCAT score.
I you don't speak Spanish fluently, now would be a good time to start.
Community service?
Shadow longitudinal care instead of tertiary care, if at all possible.
I always thought DUIs were essentially a death sentence? Certainly they aren't going to ignore that

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I always thought DUIs were essentially a death sentence? Certainly they aren't going to ignore that

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
No, they are a significant impediment, though.
If someone were killed (which could have happened), I would agree.

Reactions: Goro
OP
P

Premed559

2+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
No, they are a significant impediment, though.
If someone were killed (which could have happened), I would agree.
Nobody was injured with the exception of my self esteem. My hearing isn't until 2 months from now but there's no way I'm having charges dropped with a 0.13%

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
A 3.3 GPA isn't very competitive for MD schools, but fine for DO. The very recent DUI will hurt, though, so you'll need to own this.

OP
P

Premed559

2+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
A 3.3 GPA isn't very competitive for MD schools, but fine for DO. The very recent DUI will hurt, though, so you'll need to own this.
What would you suggest I go from here?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Fastest path will be to retake all F.D.C grades and aim for DO schools. If you're boning for the MD, then acing a post-bac or SMP, and MCAT, are needed.

What would you suggest I go from here?

Reactions: randyis250
OP
P

Premed559

2+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Fastest path will be to retake all F.D.C grades and aim for DO schools. If you're boning for the MD, then acing a post-bac or SMP, and MCAT, are needed.
Will it be difficult to get into a SMP or Post-bac with the DUI?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Can't answer this; this will be school-specific. I don't even know what my own program would do...we've never had someone with a DUI apply to our SMP!

Will it be difficult to get into a SMP or Post-bac with the DUI?