WAMC/School List Help (3.3GPA/518MCAT)

Started by hypickle
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hypickle

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WAMC

3.33 cGPA/3.23 sGPA
518 MCAT (129/130/130/129)
CT
White
University of Miami
clinical: 1000 hours EMT, 50 hours volunteer patient transporter
research: 270 hours volunteer research assistant in cancer lab. no publications. LOR from PI.
non clinical volunteering: 150 hours at local senior center
other extracurricular activities: 1000 hours as a youth soccer coach
other: deans list fall semester of senior year, upward curve (1st yr 3.29, 2nd yr 2.61, 3rd yr 3.19, 4th yr 3.97), last year took mostly upper level science courses (orgo 1/2 + lab, neuro, biochem + lab, microbio lab, physics 2 + lab, physiology, bio of cancer). also I feel like I should give context for that 2nd year lol: I was on the waitlist for the nursing school at my university throughout my 1st year and they informed me at the start of my 2nd year that due to the amount of people on the list I wouldn't get in for 5 years so I was struggling mentally because I liked the school but didn't know what to do with my career and obviously it had a big affect on my GPA.

Tentative school (planning on applying 26-27 cycle)
UConn
Quinnipiac
Robert Larner Vermont
Temple
Wright State
University of Miami
Creighton
Medical College of Wisconsin
Belmont
University of Illinois
New York Medical College
Albany
Penn State
New York Upstate Alan and Marlene
Carle Illinois
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Loma Linda
+ 5 or so DO schools
 
Carle Illinois is mainly looking for applicants with an engineering background. New York Upstate, Wright State admit few non residents with a GPA of 3.3. You should accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing before you submit your application.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UConn
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
Methodist
Belmont
NOVA MD
Alice Walton
TCU
Ponce (St. Louis)
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Roseman
Loma Linda
For DO schools I suggest these:
UNECOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
WVSOM
CUSOM
AZCOM
CCOM
 
Carle Illinois is mainly looking for applicants with an engineering background. New York Upstate, Wright State admit few non residents with a GPA of 3.3. You should accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing before you submit your application.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UConn
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
Methodist
Belmont
NOVA MD
Alice Walton
TCU
Ponce (St. Louis)
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Roseman
Loma Linda
For DO schools I suggest these:
UNECOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
WVSOM
CUSOM
AZCOM
CCOM
Yea I forgot to include shadowing hours in my original post: I have 25 hours with a vascular surgeon and 25 with an internal medicine physician. Thanks so much for the school list help!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
An additional postbac year would be helpful, though I don't know what classes are left for you to take. Otherwise, an SMP may be on the table. Just having one year of a 3.7+ GPA (being your senior year) doesn't give adcoms confidence in your academic foundation. Sure, you were waiting to get into nursing school, so I'm guessing you have a ton of classes appropriate for that pathway in your first two years.
 
An additional postbac year would be helpful, though I don't know what classes are left for you to take. Otherwise, an SMP may be on the table. Just having one year of a 3.7+ GPA (being your senior year) doesn't give adcoms confidence in your academic foundation. Sure, you were waiting to get into nursing school, so I'm guessing you have a ton of classes appropriate for that pathway in your first two years.
Thank you for your insight! Would you say that having only a year of 3.7+ is a dealbreaker in my case?
 
WAMC

3.33 cGPA/3.23 sGPA
518 MCAT (129/130/130/129)
CT
White
University of Miami
clinical: 1000 hours EMT, 50 hours volunteer patient transporter
research: 270 hours volunteer research assistant in cancer lab. no publications. LOR from PI.
non clinical volunteering: 150 hours at local senior center
other extracurricular activities: 1000 hours as a youth soccer coach
other: deans list fall semester of senior year, upward curve (1st yr 3.29, 2nd yr 2.61, 3rd yr 3.19, 4th yr 3.97), last year took mostly upper level science courses (orgo 1/2 + lab, neuro, biochem + lab, microbio lab, physics 2 + lab, physiology, bio of cancer). also I feel like I should give context for that 2nd year lol: I was on the waitlist for the nursing school at my university throughout my 1st year and they informed me at the start of my 2nd year that due to the amount of people on the list I wouldn't get in for 5 years so I was struggling mentally because I liked the school but didn't know what to do with my career and obviously it had a big affect on my GPA.

Tentative school (planning on applying 26-27 cycle)
UConn
Quinnipiac
Robert Larner Vermont
Temple
Wright State
University of Miami
Creighton
Medical College of Wisconsin
Belmont
University of Illinois
New York Medical College
Albany
Penn State
New York Upstate Alan and Marlene
Carle Illinois
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Loma Linda
+ 5 or so DO schools
While your MCAT and experiences are strong, I believe the GPA as it is will significantly reduce your chances for MD programs. I would highly highly recommend doing an SMP and crushing that, then applying. If you could get a publication during that time as well, that would also be a major boost. You have a lot of the heavy lifting done which is great, but the GPA as is will hurt you. If you don’t want to take this route, I’d widely expand your DO list as MDs are going to be tough. I know it may sound crazy, but in my experience, MD programs are getting even more competitive as of recent so a high MCAT is nice for an application but by no means a slam dunk acceptance like it used to be.