3.4 cGPA and sGPA, 32T MCAT, lots of extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlexTheEvilOne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I graduated from a good university with a 3.4 overall (3.4 science as well) and scored a 32T on the MCATs (11p/10v/11b). I have been an EMT in NYC for over 2 years now, have been working in a very good HIV lab for almost 2 years (3 publications in Nature/Science, though not first author). In college I did 3 years of basic science research and did 3 years of leading international student-run medical missions (very difficult stuff). I've also done a bit of shadowing at a local surgery center while working there for about 3 months.

What do you think? I've applied to as broad a range of US med schools as I can. Trouble is I submitted my primary August 5th and am still waiting on that annoying verification (I was bogged down with Australian applications and other things). I'm still EMTing and working, so i don't really have time to do much more, and certainly don't want to wait until the next cycle.

Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

I should also mention I'm caucasian and have managed to get 5 letters of rec, each from a different part of what I've done on my cv.

It might help if you post the list of schools you actually applied to. Looking at just your stats, they seem to be in line for many mid-tier schools. Your GPA is slightly on the lower end, but your EC's can potentially offset that, particularly the publications and EMT work.

Just make sure you pre-write your secondaries so they can go out as soon as you receive them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Albany
Einstein (mom MD has been teaching there for 25+ years)
BU
Drexel
FIU
GW
Georgetown
Hofstra North Shore
Howard
Jefferson
Loyola
Mt Sinai
NYMC
NYU
Rosalind Franklin U
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Stony Brook
Temple
UVM
Tulane
UNC
UW

Are there any others I should apply to? Any other states that are OOS friendly?

Albany
BU
Drexel
FIU
GW
Georgetown
Hofstra North Shore
Howard
Jefferson
Loyola
Mt Sinai
NYMC
NYU
Rosalind Franklin U
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Stony Brook
Temple
UVM
Tulane
UNC
UW

Have you written any of the secondaries?

Have you written any of the secondaries?

I have written and submitted both GW and NYMC. I have BU's, but cannot finish it until my application is verified (there are fields that are autofilled in once the app is verified). For the others I will start this week prewriting and I'll get them done as soon as I can.

any other schools I should put on the list before verification?

UNC is not very OOS friendly (13.5%). If you are ok with that region you night check out Wake and EVMS or other VA schools.

I noticed you didn't add SUNY Buffalo so consider that as well.

You have BU in Boston but not Tufts.

Howard is a black medical school which may or may not affect your decision.

UNC is not very OOS friendly (13.5%). If you are ok with that region you night check out Wake and EVMS or other VA schools.

I noticed you didn't add SUNY Buffalo so consider that as well.

You have BU in Boston but not Tufts.

Howard is a black medical school which may or may not affect your decision.

I don't think I could really stand to live in Buffalo or Rochester, hence why I left them off.

I think I'll apply to Wake and EVMS, thanks. As for Howard, meh I'll leave it on for now, until the secondary gets here I have no issue with it

Suggest omitting Mt Sinai, NYU, both SUNYs Are you from NY...I couldn't tell), UW, UNC and UVM (is that U VT?).

If you're going to shoot for out of state schools, you should have a better GPA, even with that stellar MCAT.

I think the list is fine and perhap add Creighton. Good luck!

Albany
BU
Drexel
FIU
GW
Georgetown
Hofstra North Shore
Howard
Jefferson
Loyola
Mt Sinai
NYMC
NYU
Rosalind Franklin U
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Stony Brook
Temple
UVM
Tulane
UNC
UW

Suggest omitting Mt Sinai, NYU, both SUNYs Are you from NY...I couldn't tell), UW, UNC and UVM (is that U VT?).

If you're going to shoot for out of state schools, you should have a better GPA, even with that stellar MCAT.

I think the list is fine and perhap add Creighton. Good luck!

Yes I'm from ny, and since ive already applied to these schools omitting is not really a choice, and while saving money on the secondaries would be nice I think it's worth a shot for NYU and the SUNYs (I graduated nyu undergrad).

I'll check on creighton, thanks

Yes I'm from ny, and since ive already applied to these schools omitting is not really a choice, and while saving money on the secondaries would be nice I think it's worth a shot for NYU and the SUNYs (I graduated nyu undergrad).

I'll check on creighton, thanks

with your strong tie to AE, i'd be amazed if you didn't get accepted there.. your stats fall within their range as well. good luck to ya

with your strong tie to AE, i'd be amazed if you didn't get accepted there.. your stats fall within their range as well. good luck to ya

Thanks man, I certainly hope so! Would be nice to have some options

Members don't see this ad :)
I count 17 schools where you have a good chance at an interview. That should be plenty!

Definitely disagree here. With the OP's LizzyM score of 66, I count only 4 schools where his LizzyM score is at or above the average matriculant score: Drexel, Howard, Rosalind Franklin, and Tulane. And as mentioned Howard is an HBC so really only 3 schools. The rest are reaches based on his stats, and some of those are OOS state schools for him. His above average ECs may have allowed him to get interviews at schools with average stats that are slightly higher than the OP's, but the fact that his AMCAS will be verified about two months after 6/29 is really going to hurt his chances (I'd say that's effectively subtracting 2 points from his LizzyM score; in contrast someone with identical stats but had their AMCAS verified on or before 6/29 is effectively adding 2 points to his/her LizzyM score). Also, having a parent teaching at a particular med school won't help much unless the parent is also on the admissions committee or has very close ties to them.

Definitely disagree here. With the OP's LizzyM score of 66, I count only 4 schools where his LizzyM score is at or above the average matriculant score: Drexel, Howard, Rosalind Franklin, and Tulane. And as mentioned Howard is an HBC so really only 3 schools. The rest are reaches based on his stats, and some of those are OOS state schools for him. His above average ECs may have allowed him to get interviews at schools with average stats that are slightly higher than the OP's, but the fact that his AMCAS will be verified about two months after 6/29 is really going to hurt his chances (I'd say that's effectively subtracting 2 points from his LizzyM score; in contrast someone with identical stats but had their AMCAS verified on or before 6/29 is effectively adding 2 points to his/her LizzyM score). Also, having a parent teaching at a particular med school won't help much unless the parent is also on the admissions committee or has very close ties to them.

I'm a little wary relying on a scoring system that I don't know much about regarding its validity, but I'm hopin my ECs will help offset my low gpa and average Mcats. Perhaps I'm not optimistic enough to say I'd get 17 interviews, but ideally at least 5 solid chances to show adcoms who I am (I believe I interview well, but I'll certainl polis up on my skills).

Thanks for all the responses, gotta prewrite more secondaries after work!

With solid ECs schools tend to give a little on median LizzyM.

Lol well I'm a biochem major at nyu heavily involved in EMT stuff applying this cycle. Just wrapped up biochem with good old Goldberg. When did you graduate?

Lol well I'm a biochem major at nyu heavily involved in EMT stuff applying this cycle. Just wrapped up biochem with good old Goldberg. When did you graduate?

Way back in 2010, I'm an old man now. I bet you know Akila though

I'm basing my estimate on the places students with stats and ECs like the OP's got in last year (who also applied to our school).

Yup, Akila is one of my girlfriend's best friends at NYU. I mean mine too...but I met her through my gf. Haha how do you know her?

I'm basing my estimate on the places students with stats and ECs like the OP's got in last year (who also applied to our school).

Well I appreciate the confidence boost, they're always welcome in my book. Im doing my secondaries like a dog now between experiments, hoping to get in l my top picks by Wednesday next week.

Then I play the waiting game...

Yup, Akila is one of my girlfriend's best friends at NYU. I mean mine too...but I met her through my gf. Haha how do you know her?

We've done lots of tours at ridgewood and woodhaven together and took the mcat class together as well

Just found out we met lol. At the Christmas party Akila brought me to, at that Italian place... you're the guy I had the convo about beer with.