NJ Resident, MCAT 507, grad cGPA and sGPA 3.48

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tri44

Reaction score
Hi y’all. I looking for advice on my school list and chances for this cycle and any schools I should add to my list even though its starting to get late. Here are my stats:
  • Undergrad sGPA 2.78, cGPA 3.19 (significant upward trend) and Graduate program sGPA 3.48, cGPA 3.48
  • MCAT 507, 128/123/127/129
  • NJ resident with strong ties to Vermont
  • Boston University for undergraduate BS and MS from MAMS program
  • Clinical experience - ED Scribe for 2 years, 1 year ophthalmic technician, internship in occupational therapy 2 months for school program, volunteer at hospital for 2 years in non clinical role
  • Research experience - 1 year in psychiatry
  • Shadowing - only virtual and when taking part in paid positions
  • Non-clinical volunteering - food bank volunteer 8 months
  • Swam for first 2 years of college, left sport due to injury. Still involved in swimming community through teaching lessons and have been since junior year of college.
  • I worked 2 part time jobs while completing my masters degree
  • Both parents highest degree level is BS, I am the first in my family with a masters

Applying MD and DO with no preference:
MD list:
  • Cooper Med School at Rowan
  • Creighton University
  • Hackensack Meridian SOM
  • Rush Medical College
  • Rutgers NJMS
  • Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson
  • Robert Larner COM at UVM
  • Frank H Netter SOM at Quinnipiac
  • Albany Medical College
  • Wake Forest SOM
  • Central Michigan University
  • Morehouse SOM
  • Wayne State SOM
  • Tufts
  • SUNY Downstate
  • SUNY Upstate
  • SUNY Buffalo
  • George Washington SOM
  • Geisinger Commonwealth SOM
DO List
Lake Erie COM
Rowan Virtua COM
Edward Via Virginia Campus
Lincoln Memorial University
NYIT
Nova Southeastern
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine
University of New England
William Carey University

Members don't see this ad.

Non-clinical volunteering - food bank volunteer 8 months
Number of hours is more useful. In any case, unless you have hundreds to thousands of hours, you might not have enough for Rush or similar programs where service orientation is a major focus.

The SMP GPA is okay, but not great for MD (which I would prefer at 3.7). I could be proven wrong if there is a strong linkage or affinity in the SMP host program, but at least from a cursory look, that's going to make things interesting with AMCAS schools (not sure what type of response you would get). I think you should get some attention from your home state schools (NJ) whether MD or DO provided you articulate a strong mission fit.

Apply more broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
PCOM (all schools)
WVSOM
MU-COM
ACOM
UIWSOM
ATSU-SOMA
UP-KYCOM
Noorda-COM

Members don't see this ad :)
you need shadowing. Virtual shadowing won’t be helpful. Figure out how to report some of your clinical hours that you in effect shadowed. (Don’t double count hours.) Have you submitted your AMCAS application? It’s getting really late to do that.

you need shadowing. Virtual shadowing won’t be helpful. Figure out how to report some of your clinical hours that you in effect shadowed. (Don’t double count hours.) Have you submitted your AMCAS application? It’s getting really late to do that.
yeah I have already submitted my primary and secondary applications