MD 3.40 sGPA, 3.71 cGPA, C in Gen Chem II. Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nairopil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to finish an accelerated 1 year post-bacc pre-med program after doing my undergrad in Social Work. My undergrad gpa before doing this program was 3.81. I am predicting my gpa for the program to be 3.34, which brings my sGPA to 3.40, and my cGPA to 3.71.

My problem is that due to my husbands work, I have a very limited scope of schools I can apply to. Actually, I'll only be applying to Temple in 2014, because its the only one with a campus in our area. In 2015, we could move, so I can apply a little more broadly.

Looking at Temple's most recent class stats, the average sGPA and cGPA are both right around 3.6 - 3.7. So I'll be above average for cumulative, but several points below average for sGPA, which is probably much more important. I also got a C in Gen Chem II. Its the only C of my college career, and I know it's going to stand out like a beacon on my app. I ended up doing okay on Organic (A-, B+) but I'm afraid that compared to my undergrad, this is all going to look somewhat like a downward trend.

In my defense, I'm a full-time SAHM in addition to some part time work while doing this program, and I am one of only 25% of our class who actually finished the program. I know med school is going to be harder, but I'll also have a lot more childcare available to me than I have had this year.

As I see it, here is how my app will look:

Pros:
6 mo Interim Director of Free Clinic
Reasonable cGPA

Cons:
C in Gen Chem II
Below average sGPA

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I would be a bit concerned about your less than stellar performance in the post-bacc program and applying to 1 school is also very risky.

Have you taken the MCAT?

Haven't taken MCAT yet. I'm scheduled for April. Looking at the "What Are My Chances" sticky, It looks like I would be in the 70% acceptance range with a 31 MCAT, but that only takes into account my cGPA, not the lower sGPA. I know my chances aren't great with only applying to one school, but I can apply more broadly the following year if I don't get it. I know it will be a bit of a negative to be a second time applicant.