3.42 cGPA 3.4 sGPA 33M MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adultlink

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm somewhat new here and applying this cycle. I'm NOT a URM. My mcat break down was 12, 12 (bio and physical) and 9 for verbal.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hmm, your MCAT is very good but your GPA is definitely holding you back. Are you finished with undergrad or do you have another year? If you have another year, I would apply next cycle and work my ass off to boost that GPA. It seems like your great MCAT score is wasted if you apply with your current GPA. Also, do you have any patient interaction in a hospital setting? That's definitely a must.

Hmm, your MCAT is very good but your GPA is definitely holding you back. Are you finished with undergrad or do you have another year? If you have another year, I would apply next cycle and work my ass off to boost that GPA. It seems like your great MCAT score is wasted if you apply with your current GPA. Also, do you have any patient interaction in a hospital setting? That's definitely a must.
Thank you for the quick response! I have a the 2 years as a clinical research associate ( I should have specified it's in the ER). I've already completed my undergraduate years unfortunately. There was a dip in GPA in sophomore year, but it's been on an upward trend since Junior year.

Members don't see this ad :)
what MD schools are you looking at..hopefully they are a broad selection of schools?

I'm a CA resident, but I'm only applying to a few of these schools as a reach (UC Davis, UCI). A lot of private schools like Drexel, NYMC, etc. I basically used the MSAR and targeted schools with low GPA and MCAT and a good percentage of OOS.

Well keep in mind that you will be in the bottom 10 percentile of about any school in terms of your GPA. However, with your MCAT, I think you still have a good shot of getting a few interviews if you apply broadly. As examples, you might be interested in Tulane and Virginia Tech since they are both very forgiving of lower GPAs (median of ~3.55). Definitely put a lot of effort into making your Personal Statement unique and your activities meaningful.

Hi all! I'm somewhat new here and applying this cycle. I'm NOT a URM. My mcat break down was 12, 12 (bio and physical) and 9 for verbal. I know the writing is a little low, so I'm hoping that won't hurt too much. Extracurriculars are normal, nothing spectacular. They are as follows: Officer Board for Pre-Medical organization for 2 years Clinical Volunteer Research Associate for 2 years (roughly 200 hours) Laboratory Assistant (Benchwork) - 6 months ( for this one, i did not have my own project, it was more of assisting the Post-Doc with his work, about 4 hours a week) Involvement in School Biology Student Association -2 years Part of a Rock band for close to 5 years (compositions, some performances) EMT Cert - but haven't used it I'm applying to about 25 schools, with 2 or 3 Caribbean schools as a back-up. However, I wanted to know my chances at US MD programs. It's a fairly broad list, with a lot of lower tier schools. Thank you all in advance!

Do not apply to ANY Caribbean schools. You don't need to. You should be able to get interviews in MD programs if you apply broadly, smartly, and early and you are a perfect candidate for DO schools.

Caribbean schools are a tourist trap for wanna be premeds...you aren't a wanna be.

I'm a CA resident, but I'm only applying to a few of these schools as a reach (UC Davis, UCI). A lot of private schools like Drexel, NYMC, etc. I basically used the MSAR and targeted schools with low GPA and MCAT and a good percentage of OOS.

Probably you most significant problem. No chance IMHO for state schools without ties to campuses in CA, and you are going to be in large groups for OOS friendly schools, even the ones who "forgive". With your approach on GPA and MCAT in school selection, you are doing the right thing by applying. You are close, in terms of numbers (your ECs need to be outstanding), and even if you do not sort into a MD school you can find out the reason why your were passed up. My best. GIve it a go!

Do not apply to ANY Caribbean schools. You don't need to. You should be able to get interviews in MD programs if you apply broadly, smartly, and early and you are a perfect candidate for DO schools.

Caribbean schools are a tourist trap for wanna be premeds...you aren't a wanna be.

I would second this. The only reason for a person with your stats to apply Caribbean is if they had already applied three times and are really running out of options. If you want a backup, your stats are really good for DO schools. If you apply broadly (as you seem to have done) you should at least get some MD interviews.