3.45cGPA, 3.47 sGPA, 32MCAT (retaken)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HalpSendHalp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
During college I had a 3.37 cGPA, but thanks to the 3.96 sGPA I had at Post-Bacc year (thank the Lord) I brought my GPA up to 3.45cGPA, 3.47sGPA.

I actually started college with like a 3.7 but due to depression problems (which I do not really divulge in my application for private reasons) my GPA took a nose dive to 3.18 (2.88sGPA LOL) but I managed to somewhat salvage it a little bit. I was also a public policy major, not sciences, so I took science and pub pol courses.

My MCAT was not up to par the first time (28 lululul) but then I took it 3 months later and successfully got a score I was happier with - the 32 (9V/11PS/12BS).

I have about 800 hours of research, 190ish hours of community service (non clinical), a couple hundred hours in teaching, 600+ hours of an extracurricular I did for all 4 years of college, and about 200 hours shadowing. Now, I am trying to volunteer and teaching the MCAT (no, I am not teaching verbal. Nonono the trauma) while I am applying in VA, my state. I already submitted primaries June 11, verified June 30, and 14/21 of the way done with secondaries (crying cry cry). No IIs yet. (CRY SOB)

So..... Should I apply to more? Idk I feel like I look on here and people are applying to like...30, and I just sit there like wow I am not sure if I can do 10 more secondaries I might cry myself to sleep.

I am applying to (good ol alphabetical):
1. Albany
2. Case Western
3. Drexel
4. Eastern Virginia
5. George Washington
6. Georgetown
7. Hofstra
8. Loyola
9. NYMC
10. Northwestern
11. Penn State
12. Rush
13. Sidney Kimmel (Jefferson)
14. Temple
15. Tufts
16. USUHS
17. UIC
18. UVA
19. Vandy (have not yet received a secondary...)
20. VCU
21. VTech

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, so the first problem I see is that you have no active clinical work. Yes, you have shadowing, but that's not the same thing as actually doing something to benefit patients. How do you expect to convince admissions committees that you want to work with and around sick, injured, or dying people for the rest of your working life?

Second, you have some unrealistic schools on your list. Case, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, and likely UVA and even Hofstra are going to be out of your reach.

You need to get clinical experience ASAP - that is the number one reason you will get rejected.

Once you've rectified this (or plan to do so imminently), you could consider Quinnipiac, Commonwealth, and some DO schools (there are a couple in and around Virginia if you're looking to stay in the mid-atlantic). Your stats (<3.5/30) are not favorable for MD admission, but they aren't a death sentence either. Cover your bases appropriately.

If you take one thing away from this, you need to get some clinical experience beyond shadowing.

Reactions: 1 user
@WedgeDawg Yessss. Thankfully I got a volunteer job at a hospice, and will be at the bedside soon! I'm going to hopefully follow up schools with a letter of rec from them as an update!

Members don't see this ad :)
~50% of applicants with 3.5/30 get accepted. You should add a few DO schools as a safety net, and possibly focus on schools that don't average MCAT scores.

Your list is ok, but can be refined. Wedgedawg gave good advice.

Did you add all your state schools?

Reactions: 1 users
~50% of applicants with 3.5/30 get accepted. You should add a few DO schools as a safety net, and possibly focus on schools that don't average MCAT scores.

Your list is ok, but can be refined. Wedgedawg gave good advice.

Did you add all your state schools?

Yeah, OP is VA so all VA MD schools are in there.

Yeah, OP is VA so all VA MD schools are in there.

Oh whoops missed that.

OP you should add WVU and Marshall since you're from that area.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I def will add Quinn and Commonwealth @WedgeDawg - thanks for the WV reminders, @Banco !
Hopefully med schools will be able to see that I am trying to get more volunteer in right now when I can, and appreciate that I am . I'm also trying to get a volunteer position at a hospital near me when the application opens August 17th!!! I just hope I am not too late adding them?

@HalpSendHalp Vandy pre-screens, so you might not get a secondary at all.
Know the 7 year min GMO service req for Uniformed Services (though it's free!)

Strongly agree with Wedge's identification of those high reaches and school suggestions from both Banco and Wedge.

Other schools you could add for MD:
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Also apply to at least 5 DO schools and in your region you have VCOM, CUSOM, WVSOM, UP-KYCOM.