3.46 cGPA, 3.38 sGPA, 37 (12/12/13)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonhamm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
- CA resident
- Chem major at a highly ranked large public university for undergrad, strong upward trend. Freshman cGPA was 2.6. Took bio prereq through an informal post bac.
- If I matriculate in 2015, I will have taken 3 gap years
- Extensive research experience: 3 labs in undergrad (1 pub, not first author), and tech after college for ~2 yrs by interview time. By that point I will probably have another pub or two, but none from teching when I submit my primary. One of those will be first author.
- 150 hrs clinical volunteering as of primary submission; will have a second position by interviews. 60 hrs nonclinical (tutoring - not sure if this counts)
- 120 hrs shadowing including family, anesth, gyn onc
- LORs: have 4/5 of my research advisors letters as well as one lecturer. I have little chance of getting a non-science professor letter. I would say three of my letters will be very strong and two will be okay.
- Going to try to submit primary on June 3rd

My unfinished list, wanting suggestions:

BU
Tufts
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
UCD
USC
NYMC
AE
U of Miami
Temple
Drexel
VTech
Eastern Virginia
Jefferson
Albany
Tulane
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bumping this.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Looks pretty solid. I'm assuming from your freshman GPA that you have a pretty strong upward trend?

Having no non-science prof letter could be problematic at some places. I literally had to track down the professor from a class I took in 2004 to write a letter for me.

Also: have you considered DO at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks pretty solid. I'm assuming from your freshman GPA that you have a pretty strong upward trend?

Having no non-science prof letter could be problematic at some places. I literally had to track down the professor from a class I took in 2004 to write a letter for me.

Also: have you considered DO at all?

Yes, strong upward trend. I tried to get a non-science letter from the only prof that might have remembered me, but turns out she passed away suddenly last year.

Not really considering DO at the moment; there are some specialties I am potentially interested in that being DO would make much harder to enter. I'm not 100% opposed, but at this point, I don't want to close any doors unless I have to.

UC Davis is the "safest" of the UC's by stats and IS preference. Though any UC is going to be tough through sheer number and quality of IS applicants.

Also, if you aren't opposed to Chicago there are Rush, Loyola and Rosalind Franklin there.

I don't think OP should consider DO with that MCAT score... OP has 70%+ chances in getting in somewhere based on previous AAMC statistics... OP might need a non-science LOR since many schools require one...

I could get a non-BCPM letter, but total non-science (i.e. humanities) really just isn't possible at this point... it would have to be something like earth science or CS. Would that improve things?

I don't think OP should consider DO with that MCAT score... OP has 70%+ chances in getting in somewhere based on previous AAMC statistics... OP might need a non-science LOR since many schools require one...

I have very similar stats to the OP (3.4/3.5/36) and I will be considering DO this cycle. I did one cycle without considering DO though.

I don't think 70% is high enough to completely ignore the alternative unless your ECs are stellar or you have a strong in at a school.

I have very similar stats to the OP (3.4/3.5/36) and I will be considering DO this cycle. I did one cycle without considering DO though.
Your list seems to be top heavy... You should have applied mostly mid-to-low tiers....

I don't think 70% is high enough to completely ignore the alternative unless your ECs are stellar or you have a strong in at a school.
I don't know, but 70%+ is a good odd to me...

Good, but not a lock.

Just suggesting it. Some people might prefer being a reapplicant next year than going DO. If that's OP, then no problem. If it's not then a few DO apps are in order.

Reactions: 1 user
Good, but not a lock.

Just suggesting it. Some people might prefer being a reapplicant next year than going DO. If that's OP, then no problem. If it's not then a few DO apps are in order.
When it comes to getting into med school these days, nothing is a lock!

Your list seems to be top heavy... You should have applied mostly mid-to-low tiers....

I definitely won't be applying to as many high ranked schools this year, but there were also plenty of mid and low tier schools on my list. There's only about 4 more I will be adding this next cycle. Then again the low tier schools I did apply to rejected me while I interviewed at higher ranked schools. As you mentioned, nothing is a lock, the process is strange as hell.

Reactions: 1 user
So, turns out I may be able to get a non-science LOR although it might have to be from a TA. Unsure at this point if the prof will sign off.

I also added the chicago schools.

Goro suggests:

Tufts
UCD
USC
NYMC
Albany
Wake Forest
Emory (maybe)
U of Miami
Temple
Drexel
VTech
Eastern Virginia
Jefferson
Albany
Tulane
Rush
MCW
SLU
Tulane
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
All new MD programs
Any DO program, esp. Western and TUCOM-CA, sinc ethey're in your backyard.

Goro suggests:

Tufts
UCD
USC
NYMC
Albany
Wake Forest
Emory (maybe)
U of Miami
Temple
Drexel
VTech
Eastern Virginia
Jefferson
Albany
Tulane
Rush
MCW
SLU
Tulane
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
All new MD programs
Any DO program, esp. Western and TUCOM-CA, sinc ethey're in your backyard.

Thanks, this is a great help.

Albany
Einstein
BU
UCLA
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Emory
Georgetown
GWU
Jefferson
USC