3.48 GPA, 31 MCAT and a lot of other stuff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iovemywife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, first time posting on this website so please excuse me if I seem naive.

Just hoping someone can provide me with some insight on my chances of acceptance. I am a somewhat non-traditional student.

Undergrad things:
- 3.37 undergrad GPA (3.0 first two years, 3.69 second two)
- some volunteer work
- Independent coursework
- NCAA division 1 athlete in track and cross country (school record holder - weak records)
- Multiple academic awards - ("Senior of the year" "academic athlete")

Graduate school things:
4.0 graduate GPA. M.S. (Biomedical science) - took a course with medical students during the graduate progam
7 abstracts, two at international meetings, two research presentation awards (poster and oral presentation)
1 published paper
3 years of basic science coursework
ER volunteer

Post-graduate school:
31 MCAT
3 years of clinical research in EP/Cardiology - working on cardiac unit, cardiac clinic, rounding w/ attendings, attending cardiology fellows lectures - (very fun stuff)

My wife is a doctor - (not sure if that helps or hurts)

Thanks for any help you may provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Your EC's are spectacular! I think you have a good shot at getting into medical schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
The MS wasn't a pre-med type degree; and it wasn't the result of dropping out of a PhD. I had been working in a lab as technician and the PI suggested that I could get more bang for my buck if I became a student in her lab rather than just a technician. I did this while my wife was finishing up med school.

Not sure what the stats are for people applying to med school out of that program.

Anyone know whether the graduate school GPA points can contribute to my science GPA? or is it strictly undergrad courses that count?

The MS wasn't a pre-med type degree; and it wasn't the result of dropping out of a PhD. I had been working in a lab as technician and the PI suggested that I could get more bang for my buck if I became a student in her lab rather than just a technician. I did this while my wife was finishing up med school.

Not sure what the stats are for people applying to med school out of that program.

Anyone know whether the graduate school GPA points can contribute to my science GPA? or is it strictly undergrad courses that count?

I believe it's only undergrad courses that are counted in the cGPA and sGPA.

I believe it's only undergrad courses that are counted in the cGPA and sGPA.

^^This is correct. But your record looks good. Some SDNers will tell you your undergraduate GPA is a bit too low but I think you have a really good chance. Competitive GPA, competitive MCAT, if you apply everywhere you should get in somewhere.