3.48 overall 3.57 bcpm Should I explain my gpa on secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student4life0800

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a lower gpa with a rising trend and a decent bcpm gpa. Should I try and explain it? The reasoning would be that I attended a major religious university with required religious classes. And over the course of the first two years decided to leave the religion.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see how that's a valid excuse? If you don't like the class, withdraw. If you stay in the class, do your best to get a good grade, regardless of whether you agree with the material.
I thought sociology was a crock of ****, but I still aced the class, because I signed up for it.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a 3.44, but I am mentioning it on secondaries because the trend it 3.0/2.9/3.75/3.7.

However, what I've been writing just points out that I struggled early on, then did x, y, z to improve, which taught me how fulfilling learning and doing well in school can be, which encouraged me to continue my education. Don't make excuses.

I have a lower gpa with a rising trend and a decent bcpm gpa. Should I try and explain it? The reasoning would be that I attended a major religious university with required religious classes. And over the course of the first two years decided to leave the religion.

Thanks!
You'll be required to master a lot of material in med school that you'll find unimportant/uninteresting/useless in your lifetime, but you'll still be expected to master it. So the "excuse" you intend to use will backfire on you. Either think of another one, or don't give an explanation.

Reactions: 1 user