DO 3.49 cGPA, 3.40 sGPA, 25 MCAT (will be retaking), chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelzoo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
report back once you have your new MCAT score. submit your primaries to 1 school right now (that you do not care about) so you can be verified

report back once you have your new MCAT score. submit your primaries to 1 school right now (that you do not care about) so you can be verified

Thanks. I will do this today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I will be applying this application cycle and would appreciate any advice!

I have a 3.49 cGPA, 3.40 sGPA, and a 25 MCAT. I just retook the MCAT and I am pretty certain that I did better the second time, but won't get my scores until after I apply. I am wondering: what are my chances?

I am a NJ resident. So here are the MD schools that I am thinking of applying to: (stats are reliable and recent)

Cooper Medical School of Rowan University: 27-35 MCAT, 3.21-3.92 GPA (bottom and top 10%)

Rutgers NJ Medical School: 29-37 MCAT, 3.38-3.95 GPA (bottom and top 10%)
I accepted a full-time job offer in the neuro dept here and an assistant dean of the school wrote me a kick-ass recommendation letter

I know I have no chance of getting into either of these schools unless my new MCAT score is at least a 30 (my GPA is low but still in the possible range for both schools), but since I can't wait for my score to come out, I figured I should apply now and hope for the best.

More realistically, I will probably be attending a DO school unless I get a miraculous new MCAT score. Here are the DO schools that I am thinking of applying to: (stats are most recent)

New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine: 28 MCAT, 3.6 GPA
An assistant dean from here also wrote me a kick-ass recommendation letter.

Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine-New York: 27 MCAT, 3.3 cGPA, 3.2 science
I founded the Pre-SOMA (pre-osteopathic student group) chapter at my school and had two reps from here speak to our members.

Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine: 28 MCAT, 3.6 GPA
I shadowed some students in an anatomy lab here and am planning a Pre-SOMA visit to Rowan which has been OK'd by Rowan students on the SOMA board.

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine: 3.41 GPA, 26 MCAT
The coordinator who's been helping me start my school's Pre-SOMA chapter is a SOMA board member at LECOM.

I've done 130 hours of volunteering at a hospital (lots of patient interaction, observed an eye surgery). I've also done over 700 hours of research in visual processing in the brain and I have a published research report in a student publication and have done a poster presentation as well. I'm also a NCAA Division III athlete who's had three solid seasons as a starter for the three years I've been at school (graduated a year early to save some $). I've also been employed part-time as a student worker for all three years at places including but not limited to a dental school and a nursing school.

I'd appreciate any recommendations on other schools I should consider, or if there is a school that you think I should take off my list.

I will comment on the osteopathic schools since I cannot comment on MD till you have the new scores back. At this time it looks very bad for MD.

First of all Touro has an MCAT average above 30. I'm not sure about the GPA though. LECOM is also 3.45/27 not 3.41/26. So at this very moment you're on the lower side of DO. If your MCAT doesn't improve though look into some of the less competitive DO schools and apply more broadly. Your stats are low for DO however your ecs look good. So before you start getting all worried about MD you still have work to do to get into DO. An improved MCAT score will ofcourse change all of this.

I will comment on the osteopathic schools since I cannot comment on MD till you have the new scores back. At this time it looks very bad for MD.

First of all Touro has an MCAT average above 30. I'm not sure about the GPA though. LECOM is also 3.45/27 not 3.41/26. So at this very moment you're on the lower side of DO. If your MCAT doesn't improve though look into some of the less competitive DO schools and apply more broadly. Your stats are low for DO however your ecs look good. So before you start getting all worried about MD you still have work to do to get into DO. An improved MCAT score will ofcourse change all of this.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure about the stats for LECOM, but you are right about Touro as well. I don't know why one of their reps told me the MCAT was lower when they visited my school. I'll adjust my post.

Do you have any suggestions for DO schools that you think I have a good shot at?

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure about the stats for LECOM, but you are right about Touro as well. I don't know why one of their reps told me the MCAT was lower when they visited my school. I'll adjust my post.

Do you have any suggestions for DO schools that you think I have a good shot at?

You are From New Jersey so Rowan and Lecom make sense. You could also try UNECOM and PCOM (PCOM is a reach ATM). This obviously all changes with a new MCAT but I will give some other suggestions on the east coast:

Campbell
Marian
Liberty
LUCOM
VCOM (Virginia and CC)
Ga-PCOM (again pcom philly is close to you but its a reach)
UNECOM
NOVA(reach)
LECOM (erie and bradenton)

Hi, I will be applying this application cycle and would appreciate any advice!

I have a 3.49 cGPA, 3.40 sGPA, and a 25 MCAT. I just retook the MCAT and I am pretty certain that I did better the second time, but won't get my scores until after I apply. I am wondering: what are my chances?

I am a NJ resident. So here are the MD schools that I am thinking of applying to: (stats are reliable and recent)

Cooper Medical School of Rowan University: 27-35 MCAT, 3.21-3.92 GPA (bottom and top 10%)

Rutgers NJ Medical School: 29-37 MCAT, 3.38-3.95 GPA (bottom and top 10%)
I accepted a full-time job offer in the neuro dept here and an assistant dean of the school wrote me a kick-ass recommendation letter

I know I have no chance of getting into either of these schools unless my new MCAT score is at least a 30 (my GPA is low but still in the possible range for both schools), but since I can't wait for my score to come out, I figured I should apply now and hope for the best.

More realistically, I will probably be attending a DO school unless I get a miraculous new MCAT score. Here are the DO schools that I am thinking of applying to: (stats are most recent)

New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine: 28 MCAT, 3.6 GPA
An assistant dean from here also wrote me a kick-ass recommendation letter.

Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine-New York: 30.8 MCAT, 3.3 cGPA, 3.2 science
I founded the Pre-SOMA (pre-osteopathic student group) chapter at my school and had two reps from here speak to our members.

Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine: 28 MCAT, 3.6 GPA
I shadowed some students in an anatomy lab here and am planning a Pre-SOMA visit to Rowan which has been OK'd by Rowan students on the SOMA board.

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine: 3.45 GPA, 27 MCAT
The coordinator who's been helping me start my school's Pre-SOMA chapter is a SOMA board member at LECOM.

I've done 130 hours of volunteering at a hospital (lots of patient interaction, observed an eye surgery). I've also done over 700 hours of research in visual processing in the brain and I have a published research report in a student publication and have done a poster presentation as well. I'm also a NCAA Division III athlete who's had three solid seasons as a starter for the three years I've been at school (graduated a year early to save some $). I've also been employed part-time as a student worker for all three years at places including but not limited to a dental school and a nursing school.

I'd appreciate any recommendations on other schools I should consider, or if there is a school that you think I should take off my list.
Even with the stats you have now I think you could get a few acceptances but that MCAT score is 1 oe 2 points low. If you get a 26-28 you'll be looking good and should apply to middle tier DO schools.

Good news.. new MCAT score is a 28.
Bad news... my sGPA is a 3.3 not a 3.4 because of changed course classification

I've applied to Cooper, Rutgers NJMS, Touro-NY, Rowan COM, NYITCOM, and LECOM. I'm certain I want to stay in the area, so if I am not successful with any of these schools, I will be taking another year off to work at NJMS and take a couple science classes at the main Rutgers campus.

Anyways, I know that I have virtually no chance at the MD schools, but do you guys think I still have a shot at any of the DO schools for this application cycle (even with the sGPA drop)?

Good news.. new MCAT score is a 28.
Bad news... my sGPA is a 3.3 not a 3.4 because of changed course classification

I've applied to Cooper, Rutgers NJMS, Touro-NY, Rowan COM, NYITCOM, and LECOM. I'm certain I want to stay in the area, so if I am not successful with any of these schools, I will be taking another year off to work at NJMS and take a couple science classes at the main Rutgers campus.

Anyways, I know that I have virtually no chance at the MD schools, but do you guys think I still have a shot at any of the DO schools for this application cycle (even with the sGPA drop)?
Still good. GPA above 3.2, especially science GPA, is good. Your MCAT puts you in range of schools such as PCOM and even CCOM, though might be a stretch along with the Touros.