3.5 cgpa, 3.7 sgpa, 4.0 postbacc, low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nat0326

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-trad applicant who was on the path to pursuing my Ph.D. in Clinical Psych prior to switching over to medicine (why I have so much psych research)

I have over 3,000 hrs clinical psych research w/ multiple pubs/posters/symposium presentations, worked full-time as a RA after graduation managing a lab and focusing on my own research project which was aimed at delivery of care in underserved populations. Most of the labs I worked in throughout undergrad were projects aimed at serving disadvantaged youth (Head Start for example)
I have ~1,000 hrs research as a CRC for a clinical trial in derm
3,000 hrs surgical medical assistant (for mohs micrographic surgeon, and then large multi-specialty group w/ gen, cardiothoracic, and vascular surgeons) - LOR from mohs surgeon
150 hrs volunteer grant writer for nonprofit
300 hrs volunteer homeless shelter
20 hrs shadowing MD gastroenterologist, 100 shadowing DO derm
volunteering for horseback riding for the handicapped this year and continuing to med assist

3.5 cgpa, 3.7 sgpa, 4.0 postbacc- (~60 credits) MD
3.6 cgpa, 3.9 sgpa, 4.0 pb DO
503 MCAT balanced -- seems to be my kiss of death -- I know I'm circling the drain for MD w/ this score. I'm considering a retake but would like to try this cycle (I'm getting old lol)

Is MD worth a shot? NY resident
I was thinking:
Howard
Meharry
Ros Franklin
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Buffalo
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Rush
Albany
Jefferson

DO:
Nova
PCOM
CCOM
LECOM Bradenton
NYCOM
Touro-Harlem

Any other DO?

Members don't see this ad.

You can remove Howard and Meharry unless you are URM. Consider adding these MD schools:
Vermont
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Creighton
GW
You could add a few more DO schools of your choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Why was your MCAT so low? Do you think you could improve it with a retake? Seems like a shame to apply with this score since the rest of your app is so strong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why was your MCAT so low? Do you think you could improve it with a retake? Seems like a shame to apply with this score since the rest of your app is so strong.

Thanks! My MCAT is really bringing me down.

I think it was low because I self-studied using a combination of the Kaplan and Examcrackers books and I honestly ran out of time. I was doing better on practice exams (I got a 508 right before test day) and I was really feeling the pressure on actual exam day. I also took it before I took Biochemistry because the new MCAT had just come out and this wasn't a requirement before. I had a lot of factors working against me. I also could not afford a class (and I really still can't), so self studying was really my only option. I think if I could scrounge up the money somehow to do the class it might help, but I've heard mixed reviews on those courses. I'm also nervous to retake and get the same score which would clearly be even worse. I hate to delay a whole two more years to try and retake the MCAT. I think my back up plan will be to start studying in January for a retake if this cycle is a bust.

I think self-study is better for the MCAT anyways, unless you have trouble motivating yourself to study. Some people find the courses to be helpful, and more power to those people, but I think it would have been a negative thing for me personally.

If you must apply this cycle, I would add more DO schools to the mix.

I recommend:

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Oakland U Beaumont
Albany
Rosalind Franklin
WVU
All SUNYs

Any DO school, starting with NYITCOM, PCOM, UNECOM, and LECOM. I can't recommend Touro-NY or LUCOM. Do a search in these forums on why.

I'm a non-trad applicant who was on the path to pursuing my Ph.D. in Clinical Psych prior to switching over to medicine (why I have so much psych research)

I have over 3,000 hrs clinical psych research w/ multiple pubs/posters/symposium presentations, worked full-time as a RA after graduation managing a lab and focusing on my own research project which was aimed at delivery of care in underserved populations. Most of the labs I worked in throughout undergrad were projects aimed at serving disadvantaged youth (Head Start for example)
I have ~1,000 hrs research as a CRC for a clinical trial in derm
3,000 hrs surgical medical assistant (for mohs micrographic surgeon, and then large multi-specialty group w/ gen, cardiothoracic, and vascular surgeons) - LOR from mohs surgeon
150 hrs volunteer grant writer for nonprofit
300 hrs volunteer homeless shelter
20 hrs shadowing MD gastroenterologist, 100 shadowing DO derm
volunteering for horseback riding for the handicapped this year and continuing to med assist

3.5 cgpa, 3.7 sgpa, 4.0 postbacc- (~60 credits) MD
3.6 cgpa, 3.9 sgpa, 4.0 pb DO
503 MCAT balanced -- seems to be my kiss of death -- I know I'm circling the drain for MD w/ this score. I'm considering a retake but would like to try this cycle (I'm getting old lol)

Is MD worth a shot? NY resident
I was thinking:
Howard
Meharry
Ros Franklin
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Buffalo
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Rush