3.53 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA, 3.6 Finance major GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiths11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a post-bac student.

I have no research experience, but I have 100+ hours of shadowing and volunteering at a hospital.

I have a business background and 6 months of full time work experience at a major financial company, and also several finance internships during my undergrad career.

Taking my MCAT in 2 weeks. Am applying to the following schools and also a bunch of DO schools which I haven't decided. Should I add, remove any from the list? I'm afraid with my mediocre GPA that applying to OOS MD schools might be pointless. (I'm a NJ res.)

Albany MC
Drexel U
Howard
Jefferson
NY Medical College
UMDNJ Robert Wood
UMDNJ Newark
UMDNJ DO

Which MD and DO schools should I add with my stats, or should I not bother going for OOS? And should I delete any of the above? Thanks in advance for all the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

The above list looks fine, but you'll want to add more schools. I don't have a list of schools to recommend. In any case, it is really hard to recommend schools without knowing your MCAT score.

What are your practice score for full-length tests?

Here's my advice (assuming your practice tests are 30+):

Focus on MCAT until you take it. Then get your AMCAS app submitted ASAP marking only your state schools. Once you get your MCAT, then you can add more schools based on the competitiveness of your score.

If you wait until you get your MCAT score back at the end of July, you will be waiting a long time for your app to be verified.

Also, work on AACOMAS too. If your practice scores are less than 30, then that might be the more realistic option.

MD average: 3.68 cGPA, 3.61 sGPA, 32 MCAT

DO average: 3.5 GPA, 27 MCAT

Thanks for your reply! I really appreciate it! I've decided to take your advice and only apply to my home schools for now.

Thanks for your reply! I really appreciate it! I've decided to take your advice and only apply to my home schools for now.

Come back and bump this thread when you get your MCAT so that you can get a better idea of your chances and possible additions to your school list. Good luck with the studying :thumbup: