WAMC: 3.61 GPA, 3.55 sGPA, 497 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TinyVet29

Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.61 sGPA 3.55 calculated by AMCAS
  2. 497 (124/125/124/124)
  3. MI
  4. White Puerto Rican
  5. State School Bachelors in Human Biology
  6. Research Assist in psychology lab working with study participants, 8 months as volunteer and 4 months for credit for about 50 hours total, Full time EMT for last 6 months with 1000 plus hours in rural area.
  7. Some volunteering with different groups for around 15 hours
  8. Shadowing with IM M.D. for 63 hours, Shadowing with EM D.O for 5.5 hours (more coming), both letters writers for me
  9. 3 years on a club sport with 1 year working on executive board
Looking to see if I should apply with these stats and where or wait for an MCAT retake.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Work on your Spanish language skills. You could receive interviews at some DO schools and I suggest these:
MU-COM
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
LMU-DCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
VCOM (all schools)
BCOM
Noorda-COM
Touro-Montana
RVU-Montana
KHSC-COM
Orlando (when it opens)
ICOM
Many of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you could receive interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Tell me more where you have been working as an EMT?
I have a 911 coverage of mostly rural area (~180 square miles) including 5 townships. I also do transfers out of a hospital in an urban setting.

you could get some DO interviews. friend's brother with your near exact profile but just from another state further south got in 2 years ago, an established one too. At the very least, new DO schools would give you a look

Agree with the above, you could get into some of the newer DO schools. What’s your GPA trend? DO schools love that! Would go with Faha’s list

Agree with the above, you could get into some of the newer DO schools. What’s your GPA trend? DO schools love that! Would go with Faha’s list
GPA trend was a steady decline over the 4 years. Had a bit of a dip during COVID but did better once I was back in person. I’m worried about getting screened out due to my MCAT score but I do plan on indicating that I am retaking it in July.

GPA trend was a steady decline over the 4 years. Had a bit of a dip during COVID but did better once I was back in person. I’m worried about getting screened out due to my MCAT score but I do plan on indicating that I am retaking it in July.
You’ll be fine for the schools Faha listed!

Don't forget the 3 PR schools that consider mainlanders (all but UPR)!
As much as I’d love to since I’d be near family, I believe all of them require fluent Spanish speaking and/or have taken Spanish credits in undergrad. I may have to do more research on this unless you know otherwise?

As much as I’d love to since I’d be near family, I believe all of them require fluent Spanish speaking and/or have taken Spanish credits in undergrad. I may have to do more research on this unless you know otherwise?
I can report that students with only fair skills have been admitted.
Their stats were a bit better than yours, but if you plan on applying, I think these are the only MD schools where your stats are in range.

I appreciate this as I wasn’t going to apply to those due to my proficiency. Do you think it would be smart to reach out to these schools regarding Spanish credit prereqs to see if they would still consider my application? I have strong ties to the island so I feel that could help me as well.
I can report that students with only fair skills have been admitted.
Their stats were a bit better than yours, but if you plan on applying, I think these are the only MD schools where your stats are in range.

I appreciate this as I wasn’t going to apply to those due to my proficiency. Do you think it would be smart to reach out to these schools regarding Spanish credit prereqs to see if they would still consider my application? I have strong ties to the island so I feel that could help me as well.
Go ahead. It can't hurt.

Go ahead. It can't hurt.
If you would like to pass this info onto others considering PR schools, I’ve gotten responses from San Juan Bautista and Caribe. I’m able to take the CLEP Spanish Level 1 and 2 exam with writing to fulfill the requirement for credit.