MD & DO 3.55 gpa, 27 MCAT. Chances DO/MD????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportsguy8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I graduated from a top 25 academic school. I have a 3.55 cGPA, 27 MCAT (10PS, 9BS, 7VR).
Large upward trend on grades. Freshman year averaged B's. Soph, junior and senior years were almost all A- and A's.

ECs:
Played D-1 Volleyball for 2 years (approx. 25 hours a week)
Last two years I worked in the athletic training room to get lots of clinical hands on patient experience (approx 600-700 hours).
Shadowed a few doctors (approx 50 hours)
Minimal research
After graduation, working (currently) at a physical therapy clinic to get more patient experience (approx. 1000 hours).
Volunteer through church, Hollywood feeding the homeless, random sports clinics informing kids about life skills.
Also, my senior year of college, I went thru hard times as I had to play a role as my dad's caregiver on weekends for a year as he passed away during my senior year.

Applications:
I know I'm low shot at MD's but I am applying to a few. Which ones should I try??
DO's: I am probably going to apply to a bunch. Which ones should I apply to and what are my chances?? I am for sure going to do my top choices of Western-Pomona, TouroCOM-NY, and TororCOM-CA.

Thanks guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

You should be okay for any osteopathic college. You have a higher GPA than me but the same MCAT. I got into western just fine. Touro CA didn't interview me. I didn't apply to NY.

Key question for me: what's your sGPA? I had two interviews that specifically commented only on my sGPA and not my cGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
The MD schools will appreciate the donation in the form of your app fees. Stick with the DO programs, for which you're quite competitive.

Hey guys,

I graduated from a top 25 academic school. I have a 3.55 cGPA, 27 MCAT (10PS, 9BS, 7VR).
Large upward trend on grades. Freshman year averaged B's. Soph, junior and senior years were almost all A- and A's.

ECs:
Played D-1 Volleyball for 2 years (approx. 25 hours a week)
Last two years I worked in the athletic training room to get lots of clinical hands on patient experience (approx 600-700 hours).
Shadowed a few doctors (approx 50 hours)
Minimal research
After graduation, working (currently) at a physical therapy clinic to get more patient experience (approx. 1000 hours).
Volunteer through church, Hollywood feeding the homeless, random sports clinics informing kids about life skills.
Also, my senior year of college, I went thru hard times as I had to play a role as my dad's caregiver on weekends for a year as he passed away during my senior year.

Applications:
I know I'm low shot at MD's but I am applying to a few. Which ones should I try??
DO's: I am probably going to apply to a bunch. Which ones should I apply to and what are my chances?? I am for sure going to do my top choices of Western-Pomona, TouroCOM-NY, and TororCOM-CA.

Thanks guys!!