MD 3.56 cGPA, 3.42 sGPA, 29 MCAT, URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aabbcc1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I have a good shot at attaining an acceptance to any MD school? I'm from CA and I know it is extremely competitive here, but I don't mind going OOS. My MCAT breakdown is, PS: 11, VR: 9, BS: 9. What concerns me the most is the drop in my GPA during my junior year. If you take a look at my grades per year it will look like this:

Freshman: 3.87
Sophomore: 3.74
Junior: 2.99
Senior: 3.75 ***(I'll be able to attain this during my senior year)

Do you recommend continuing to take courses during the Summer or Fall in order to continue raising my GPA after my senior year?

I believe I have pretty good EC's. Most of them are centered around my community, predominantly hispanic (I'm Mexican-American). Here they are:

Employment:
-1.5 years as an Admissions Clerk at my local hospital (30hrs/wk)
-0.5 years as a Pharmacy Tech at my local hospital (30 hrs/wk)
-1 year as a Billing Clerk for a Neurosurgeon (25 hrs/wk)
-1 year (current) as an ER registration clerk

Community/Volunteering:
-4 years of continued participation as a Marching Band Consultant for my alumni High school.
-1 year as a percussion instructor for my alumni middle school.
-1 year as an after-school activities leader for an elementary school.
-0.5 years as a TA for an elementary teacher.
-About 100 hours volunteering in the ER and Cardiology Department
-About 60 hours total of shadowing a Family physician and the Neurosurgeon I worked for.

Special/Interesting Story:
-First generation college student for my family.
-Father was a high school dropout and my mother got pregnant during high school.
-I performed CPR on my Father while my family and I waited for the ambulance. Unfortunately, my father passed away to heart disease.

I will, hopefully, be starting some research this Winter quarter or this upcoming Spring quarter. So I'll be able to add that to my application. Can anyone give me an honest opinion of what they think my chances are? Given the drop in GPA.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a story for that drop junior year? Or were the upper-division classes just that much more challenging to you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Language skills? Is this your only MCAT?

I can understand Spanish 100%, but I can only speak it intermediately. I can carry on a conversation if that matters. I've worked in positions that required me to speak Spanish, so that helped me a lot.

Unfortunately, this was my second time taking the mcat.

Do you have a story for that drop junior year? Or were the upper-division classes just that much more challenging to you?

For my junior year, I transferred to a UC from a cc here in CA. It was my first time being on my own and the first time living with my girlfriend of 4 years. In addition, my father passed away a few months before I made the move. I spent a lot of time supporting my mother and my two younger sisters, who were 8 and 10 years old at the time. I would talk to them on the phone or make the drive back home as much as I can. All of this was on top of working 25hrs/wk at a job that required to commute for a total of 45min to 1hr and 15min due to traffic. To be honest, during this time my priorities changed. Instead of being a son/student aspiring to become a physician, I became a father-figure for my younger sisters and my mother depended on me for everything; being a student was second on the list. Was it bad for me to do this? As far as my GPA goes, yes, but I would do everything the same in a heart beat because my family needed me. As far as my senior year is going, I've earned two A-'s in Biochemistry and Quantitative Analysis this Fall quarter, and I expect to keep my GPA at a 3.75.

No, I haven't done that yet. Is it because we have to convert our quarter units to semester units?
No, it's because your chances at an interview will vary depending on the standardized uGPA and sGPA (in addition to every thing else, of course) seen by the screeners. The better the data we have, the better our estimates.

BTW, what were the results of any previous MCAT's?

https://www.aamc.org/download/321512/data/2012factstable25-1.pdf

Per the table, you have about a 68% chance of being accepted to medical school with your current GPA, URM status, and MCAT. Probably just a tad higher since you are on the edge of your particular category. Apply broad and early, maybe throw in a couple DO schools, and you'll definitely get in somewhere.

No, it's because your chances at an interview will vary depending on the standardized uGPA and sGPA (in addition to every thing else, of course) seen by the screeners. The better the data we have, the better our estimates.

BTW, what were the results of any previous MCAT's?

I just used the gpa calculator tool and I now have a 3.59 cGPA and a 3.46 sGPA. Do you think I should take additional science courses during the summer and/or fall?

I received a 24 on my first try at the mcat. I screwed myself over by spending too much time on the first two passages of each section. I was averaging a 31 on my practice tests, so I knew that wasn't my best effort. I still feel as if I can increase my mcat score since I haven't enrolled in any prep-courses.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321512/data/2012factstable25-1.pdf

Per the table, you have about a 68% chance of being accepted to medical school with your current GPA, URM status, and MCAT. Probably just a tad higher since you are on the edge of your particular category. Apply broad and early, maybe throw in a couple DO schools, and you'll definitely get in somewhere.

That sounds pretty good! I think I can raise my gpa to a 3.6+ by the summer, but I think that will hold up my application. It's possible to update medical schools with my summer and fall courses right? That would definitely put me above a 3.6. Giving me about a 77.0% chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
With your current stats (and trajectory) you have a very good chance for an interview at my school as long as your community service is good.

Thanks for the encouragement! I feel really optimistic about my chances now. Do you think I should retake the mcat again?

Alright then, I'll take your advice. Hopefully I get to interview at your school!

I'm also trying to come up with my list of oos schools to apply to. I'll put it up soon.

You know you are going to apply to them all!

I came up with this list of private OOS schools. Can you let me know which ones I should exclude or if I should add any others. Is there any public OOS schools that are receptive towards OOS applicants? Thanks!

-Howard Univ.
-Morehouse
-Meharry
-Mercer Univ.
-Commonwealth Medical College
-Medical College of Wisconsin
-George Washington Univ.
-Chicago-Rosalind Franklin
-Temple Univ.
-Rush Medical College
-Penn State
-Drexel
-Creighton Univ.
-New York Medical College
-Wake Forest
-Tufts Univ.
-Univ. of Miami
-Jefferson Medical College
-Georgetown Univ.
-Loyola Univ.
-Albany Medical College
-Brown Univ.
-Boston Univ.
-St. Louis Univ
-Hofstra North Shore
-Western Michigan Univ.
-Quinnipiac Univ.

Howard, Meharry, and Mercer are predominantly black schools I believe. You may have a good shot there, I don't know anything about them. This is just for your information.
Brown may be a reach. I would take off Western Michigan. It is a newer school that opened for in-state residents for the most part, they have a preference for in-state residents from that area.

I was thinking the same thing about Howard, Meharry, and Mercer, but I just listed them anyways since I was within their MCAT range. As for Boston Univ, Brown, and St. Louis, their mcat ranges started at a minimum of a 30 according to the MSAR, so I'll take them out.

Here's an updated list:

I came up with this list of private OOS schools. Can you let me know which ones I should exclude or if I should add any others. Is there any public OOS schools that are receptive towards OOS applicants? Thanks!

-Howard Univ.
-Morehouse
-Meharry
-Mercer Univ.

-George Washington Univ.
-Chicago-Rosalind Franklin
-Temple Univ.
-Rush Medical College
-Penn State
-Drexel
-Creighton Univ.
-Wake Forest
-Tufts Univ.
-Univ. of Miami
-Georgetown Univ.
-Loyola Univ.
-Albany Medical College
-Brown Univ.
-Boston Univ.
-St. Louis Univ
-Hofstra North Shore
-Western Michigan Univ.

-Quinnipiac Univ.

That's a total of 18 schools, plus the 8 here in CA, that gives me about 26 schools. If anyone knows of any other schools, particularly public oos schools that are receptive to oos applicants, please let me know!

I was thinking the same thing about Howard, Meharry, and Mercer, but I just listed them anyways since I was within their MCAT range. As for Boston Univ, Brown, and St. Louis, their mcat ranges started at a minimum of a 30 according to the MSAR, so I'll take them out.!
Mercer isn't mostly black, at all. About 7% minorities, I believe. They also only accept GA residents.

Mercer isn't mostly black, at all. About 7% minorities, I believe. They also only accept GA residents.

He meant "Morehouse" instead of Mercer I'm sure lol

Reactions: 1 user
Should I consider DO schools? Or am I good enough to just apply to MD schools?

You will most likely be fine. If not, apply in January if you have literally zero interviews.

Alright, that sounds like a good plan. Do you mean submit my primary app in January or the secondary applications that I might receive?

Also, does anyone know how admissions committee's view the number of hours you work during school? I've probably worked an average of 30+ hours/wk throughout undergrad. Do they consider this when they view my average GPA? Thanks!

Also, does anyone know how admissions committee's view the number of hours you work during school? I've probably worked an average of 30+ hours/wk throughout undergrad. Do they consider this when they view my average GPA? Thanks!
I think some schools take that into account... My friend work 40+ hrs throughout undergrad and he told me they (interviewers) talked about that during multiple interviews that he had... He got accepted to every schools he interviewed at with 3.4 c/sGPA and 29 MCAT.

Consider some more reaches, esp for OOS. I'd bet some of those mid-tiers will cut you some slack for your junior year GPA drop. And quite a few URM's have gotten into mid-tiers with your numbers.

In CA, hit up the UC prime programs and UCLA Drew. Pass on Stanford.

Last edited:
I think some schools take that into account... My friend work 40+ hrs throughout undergrad and he told me they (interviewers) talked about that during multiple interviews that he had... He got accepted to every schools he interviewed at with 3.4 c/sGPA and 29 MCAT.

That's good to hear! I'll most likely end up with a 3.54 cGPA and 3.45sGPA.

Consider some more reaches, esp for OOS. I'd bet some of those mid-tiers will cut you some slack for your junior year GPA drop. And quite a few URM's have gotten into mid-tiers with your numbers.

In CA, hit up the UC prime programs and UCLA Drew. Pass on Stanford.

Which mid-tier schools are you talking about?

Yeah, I'm definitely going to pass on Stanford. What do you think about USC?

Okay, so I'm going to be applying with a cGPA: 3.52 and a sGPA: 3.41, along with my MCAT score of 29 (PS: 11, VR: 9, BS: 9). I'm trying to come up with the best possible school list while trying to limit myself to about 19 OOS schools. I'm not sure if I'm applying to too many schools. What do you think?

CA Programs (CA Resident):
-UCLA David Geffen
-UC Riverside
-UC Davis
-UC Irvine
-UC San Diego
-UC San Francisco
-USC: Keck SOM
-Loma Linda (Not to sure about religion preference; I am Catholic which means I'm Christian.)
-UCLA PRIME
-Charles Drew Medical Education Program
-UCSF/Berkeley Joint Medical Program

OOS Schools:
-George Washington Univ.
-Rosalind Franklin Univ.
-Quinnipiac Univ.
-Saint Louis Univ.
-Creighton Univ.
-Wake Forest
-Drexel Univ.
-Rush Univ.
-Penn State Univ.
-Brown Univ.
-Albany Medical College
-Univ. of Rochester
-Loyola Univ.
-Temple Univ.

*From here on, minimum MCAT score via MSAR: 30
-Georgetown Univ.
-Dartmouth
-Univ. of Miami
-Tufts Univ.
-Mayo Medical School
-Hofstra North Shore
-Western Michigan Univ.

Should I even apply to the last 7 schools that have a minimum MCAT score of 30? Which schools do you suggest I keep and/or take out? Thank you!

Unless you have a compelling reason to apply to the last 7, they don't make a lot of sense. You already have excellent IS reaches. Loma Linda is more than just a Christian school. Go to their website and look at the mission statement and read the abstinence requirements.

I would cut down on a few of the other OOS schools too. It's just too hard to do a good job on that many secondaries!

As usual, my learned colleague is spot on. Heed his advice and you will do well.

Unless you have a compelling reason to apply to the last 7, they don't make a lot of sense. You already have excellent IS reaches. Loma Linda is more than just a Christian school. Go to their website and look at the mission statement and read the abstinence requirements.

I would cut down on a few of the other OOS schools too. It's just too hard to do a good job on that many secondaries!

Yeah, I ended up taking off all of them except for Western Michigan (New School). As far as cutting down more schools, should I take off schools such as Rosalind Franklin? I'm in their stat range, MCAT: 27-36 and GPA: 3.38-3.96, but they receive over 10,000 oos application and interview only 300.